Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Raw Milk - Reaction page

Blizzisme is offline Junior Member

Raw Milk - Reaction

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I read that you should start slow when transitioning to raw milk.
    I recently found a reputable source for it in my area, I picked some up, and I had my first glass with dinner tonight. I now find myself getting a bit mucousy, and my throat is burning slightly. Its been about an hour, and no other reactions, no upset stomach, no pain, etc... Just the slight burn in the throat and the increased mucous.

Is this normal?

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Do you have an intolerance to pasteurized dairy? If so, it is still possible to react to raw dairy.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    After not drinking milk for aprox 10 years due to intolerance to pasteurized/homogenized store milk... I went to raw with no reaction.
    The very first glass my tummy felt a little challenged, for lack of a better term, for about an hour after... but my stomach hadn't processed milk in a long darn time either. And maybe it was just my nerves... I was nervous I'd have the same lactose intolerance reaction that I had with regular milk (bloating, gas, diarrhea... about 24 hours of nastiness).

YMMV of course.
    Last edited by cori93437; 03-05-2012 at 06:20 PM.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    Do you have an intolerance to pasteurized dairy? If so, it is still possible to react to raw dairy.
    I suspect I might. I get the mucous from pasteurised dairy, and pasteurised dairy leaves me feeling kind of meh. I never got any burning or sore throat from pasteurized though.

The slight burning is fading slowly, I think. I don't think it is as bad as right after I drank it. The mucous hasn't changed though.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzisme View Post
    I suspect I might. I get the mucous from pasteurised dairy, and pasteurised dairy leaves me feeling kind of meh. I never got any burning or sore throat from pasteurized though.

The slight burning is fading slowly, I think. I don't think it is as bad as right after I drank it. The mucous hasn't changed though.
    If you react to casein or one of the other major milk proteins, there is a very good chance you will react to it whether it is raw or pasteurized. I love, love, love raw milk but it causes fatigue for me just as much as pasteurized milk. Some people do better - especially people who have a lactose intolerance. But an immune response to the proteins is a little harder to overcome.

Good luck
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

PaleoMom is offline Senior Member
    I get stuffed up with pasteurized milk, but raw milk makes me feel better than any other food on this planet. It didn't take any getting used to either.

I say you either can't tolerate raw milk either, or perhaps the cows' feed is something you're reacting to? Is it from 100% grass fed cows?

gcbcb is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Blizzisme View Post
    I read that you should start slow when transitioning to raw milk.
    I recently found a reputable source for it in my area, I picked some up, and I had my first glass with dinner tonight. I now find myself getting a bit mucousy, and my throat is burning slightly. Its been about an hour, and no other reactions, no upset stomach, no pain, etc... Just the slight burn in the throat and the increased mucous.

Is this normal?
    I don't like the way milk, raw or not, makes me feel - definitely a little congested. But cultured is great. If it's a VERY reputable source you could try making Kefir and see how you do with that.

sakura_girl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    If you react to casein or one of the other major milk proteins, there is a very good chance you will react to it whether it is raw or pasteurized. I love, love, love raw milk but it causes fatigue for me just as much as pasteurized milk. Some people do better - especially people who have a lactose intolerance. But an immune response to the proteins is a little harder to overcome.
    I was about to suggest this. Maybe you could try some raw (or even pasteurized) goat or sheep's milk. Or get really picky about the kind of cow you get your raw milk from.

Quote Originally Posted by PaleoMom View Post
    Is it from 100% grass fed cows?
    Yes

baconator is offline Junior Member
    I get a little bit sniffly when I drink milk, raw or pasteurized. It's a very common reaction. The reason people suggest you go slow with raw milk is because it has a lot more good bacteria than most people are used to. Raw milk naturally has 13 or so different types of good bacteria, while the store bought probiotic yogurt has maybe 2 or 3. So it could cause some mild stomach cramps if you have too much at first.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast