Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Where are Aussies buying their grass fed butter? page 2

Kryptonian is offline Junior Member
    Shop Now
    Hi guys, Westgold, Ashgrove, Pepe Saya and OrganicTimes butter are grass-fed options. Westgold is usually available at Woolies while the other brands can be found at gourmet supermarkets or speciality health food stores. Look for a more yellow colour, usually present as a result of using cream from grass-fed cows to make the butter (only grass-fed cows produce milk with beta-carotene.) This applies to unsalted butter. Salt can also turn butter more yellow. More tips on butter buying options here:
    Second article - Grass fed butter in Australia | OptimOZ
    Last edited by Kryptonian; 01-14-2013 at 04:10 AM. Reason: completeness

alikibiki is offline Junior Member
    At Marrickville farmers market there's a guy who mainly sells coconuts but also has 100% grass fed ghee. As for butter, i buy macro organics from woolies but i'm not sure if its grassfed.

Ayla2010 is offline Senior Member
    I am not sure that one is.
    Id stick to the Westgold or Allowrie.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Does anyone have evidence of Australian dairy cattle not being grassfed, except during drought. One of the great sights of our countryside is the queues of cows at the farm dairy come milking time
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Does anyone have evidence of Australian dairy cattle not being grassfed, except during drought. One of the great sights of our countryside is the queues of cows at the farm dairy come milking time
    I don't actually know that they don't, but I was guessing.
    Id love to know for sure if they are purely grassfed.

Bron is offline Senior Member
    According to my dairy farmer friend, butter comes from Victorian cows (as opposed to mostly fresh milk from Qld). We've had a hot, dry summer and they've still got green feed for their cows, so I can't imagine the Victorians needing to use grains yet? I could be wrong of course.

Kryptonian is offline Junior Member

Australian Dairy Cattle Feed

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    There's a healthy discussion on this subject happening over here:
    Bulletproof Diet - Grass-Fed Butter And Meat In Australia - Bulletproof Forum

A couple of people have made enquiries with the retailers and manufacturer's pertaining to the source of their butter and it turns out that yes, as we expect the cows are grass fed for the most part, but there is leeway for them to be fed grain / feedstock.

Here's a link to the Organic feeding standard in Australia where you will see there is leeway to give the animal up to 5% of its food that is not necessarily a natural part of their diet. The takeaway here is buying Organic Butter is a good start, but this is not necessarily going to be grass-fed.
    http://www.organicfoodchain.com.au/N...2009%20(2).pdf

Next time you buy grass-fed butter, take not of how yellow it is because of the beta-carotene content vs a lesser counterpart. Note that salting butter also gives it a more yellow colour, so don't let that confuse you!

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    I shall look into the Dairy scene over here in NZ.
    DD is down at the Rodeo ( she manages a dairy farm), so will ask when I am talking to her.
    I would think that Dairy farmers, like many NZ farmers have supplimentary feed on hand - most of the time. NZ can be prone to dramatic weather changes, and the turn around can be as little as 2 weeks. Most farmers would go into the winter with barley, or grain in their silo, or lucern or meadow hay in their hayshed. The problem if you don't is when there is a dramatic change in the weather, and that can happen in any season (drought, snow etc...) where do you buy supplimentary feed ???? The costs of long haul transportation is huge, so to practice good husbandry one needs supplimentary feed on hand.
    Anyway I can only speak for a sheep and beef farmer, so I will ask the kid, and report back
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

NZ primal Gwamma is offline Senior Member
    Sorry can't get DD, however Dh is very knowledgable with all things farming. A common practise in NZ is for the cows to eat palm kernel whilst in the shed being milked. Or so says he - who must be obeyed.

Anyway hopefully the DD can shed some light on that one - when she answers her phone.
    It would be interesting to note however that if feeding some form of grains is common practice in a dairy shed or on a dairy farm - how does that effect the milk and butter that we are all so happily consuming ??????
    It could be an MDA topic !
    "never let the truth get in the way of a good story "

...small steps....

damn I really hope that is not true.
    I buy Westgold butter from our local supermarket.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast