Thread: New to Primal and am about to head to the grocery store, what should I get? page

smitzma is offline Junior Member

Primal Fuel

Hi all,

I started my Primal diet last Thursday. I've been making do with what I have in the house (eggs, butter, assorted meats and veggies) but I am in desperate need of the essentials. The main reason I'm going is for Grass Fed Lamb Chops that are on sale, and some avocados, but obviously this won't feed me for long. What else should I focus on buying?

dragonmamma is offline Senior Member

High quality virgin coconut oil. (Refined if you don't want the coconut flavor; unrefined if you do.)

Unsweetened shredded coconut (or coconut chips if you can find them). Great for the munchies.

Coconut milk. (Are you detecting a pattern here?) Used in lots of recipes.

Dagny is offline Member

Lots of different raw nuts, almond butter, tons of eggs and veggies.

PrairieProf is offline Senior Member

Sardines in olive oil, canned wild-caught salmon.

OnTheBayou is offline Senior Member
    Sarasota, Florida, USA, Earth, Milky Way Galaxy

All lamb, to the best of my knowledge is grass fed all the way to slaughter.

I'm going to counter the "lots of nuts" suggestion. Even if one isn't trying to lose weight, they are loaded with the wrong omega fatty acids. They just seem to stop weight loss, even in moderation.

Virgin olive oil, def. Ghee and/or lard. With butter and coconut oil, those should be all the fats you need.

Keep cheese to a minimal luxury. "Whey" too easy to pig out, and lots of sodium.

Cruise the perimeter of the store, stay out of the center!

JStrick is offline Senior Member

I always get Eggs and Bacon, its my fail-safe. A package of good frozen veggies is a way to save some money, and keep it fresh for longer. Spinach is my favorite now, and its cheap! (im a college student so i gotta save where i can) I second the coconut products, but get a good jar of Almond butter, its great for the sweet tooth, and it lasts a long time. Explore the veggie isle some, just avoid starchy veggies and you'll be fine. EVO oil is great, along with a good tasty vinegar and you have a basic salad dressing.

born2Bprimal Guest

Here's a list from another site that you could print out

http://paleocookbook.com/form/paleo-shopping-list.pdf

Good luck!

(And Welcome!)

born2Bprimal Guest

p.s. some of the things on the "other" part of the list are staples for many here.

Who knows why grass-fed butter is an "other" as well as bacon. (Nitrite free bacon that is!)

smitzma is offline Junior Member

Well, I was successful at getting my lamb and avocados. I picked up some sardines (which I have never had before) in olive oil and now I have a new favorite food. I put some hot sauce on them and gobbled them up.

I keep hearing about Ghee, but I didn't see any. I did notice they had lard but it was also hydrogenated, is this normal??? I did not buy it.

I'm probably going to have to start shopping in ethnic stores, which luckily are in abundance around me.

born2Bprimal Guest

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I ran into the same issue with the lard this weekend. I ended up just tossing it last night (as I bought it before reading the label - bad idea).

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum....php?4906-lard

I found ghee at Whole foods.