Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Confessions of a Serial Wagon-Jumper page 2

Sabine is offline Senior Member
    Welcome back, Jumper. I hope you are doing well. I know what it is like to slip, and have trouble getting back with it. Just keep plugging away. And, I would suggest, not worrying about weight while you are trying to get back to Primal. Eat as much as you want(or even more) of the good stuff (meat and veg, nuts and cheese) while you are getting used to the program again. Once you have conquered the sugar cravings, then look at moderate servings. Good luck. And keep posting. It can really help to keep you at it, if you know others are there with you.

bellajgw is offline Senior Member
    Thanks Sabine, taking it slowly and working on getting a little better every day.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellajgw View Post
    Well, after much convincing we grabbed chinese last night. I stayed as paleo-friendly as is possible, egg foo yung and chicken teriyaki on a stick. Not great, but not horrible. Still made the salmon and I'll be adding that to my nice big salad this afternoon. Steak for dinner tonight.

I love my wife but sometimes I wonder if this would be easier if she wasn't always complaining about food. I was gung-ho to have salmon last night but the second we caught the train home she was complaining about how she was soooo tired of salmon, and couldn't we just grab some chinese take-out. Next time, I think I'll let her get all the chinese she wants and I'll stick with my salmon. I really wasn't in the mood for chinese, fought her on it for an hour on the way home, and yet I still gave in.

I'm always the one figuring out what to eat, reading the books, listening to the podcasts, making the shopping list, and 90% of the time I'm cooking. Bitter much? I don't know what I would do with myself if she ever took over and handled all that for me....how much free time would I have? Wow....boggles the mind.

Sorry for the rant, one of those mornings.
    Sounds like you need to have a proper and serious talk with your woman. What is it that you can do to make her see how important her support would be? What can you do to make it easy to give you that support? Be damn clear about your needs and then listen without getting defensive to what she has to say, then make your pitch.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Tfarny,

We actually had one recently when I decided I needed to go back to primal eating 100%. She chose not to do this with me and so she is now completely responsible for her own food prep, cooking, and clean-up, and I am for mine. Its actually quite nice, and I remarked to her that I hope she sticks with her own diet for a while, as I can finally eat all the foods she can't stand and I won't feel guilty for forcing it on her. I eat Salmon, kale, spinach, all those things I haven't been able to when she was on the diet with me.

Sunday night we cook our lunches for the week, me in the early afternoon and she in the evening. The rest of the week is usually quite easy as most of her food is microwave and mine is stovetop or oven. It's working well now and I think she is now REALLY appreciating what I used to do for her.

I can't give her too much of a hard time as she is doing most of the work regarding us trying to get pregnant (though that was me when we were trying to get me pregnant).

Week 1 Down, 0 Cheats

I'm not even focusing on weight anymore. Right now I'm focusing on how my body feels now that I've eliminated sugar, wheat, and processed crap from my diet. I feel SO much better. I accidentally grabbed a piece of grilled chicken at a bbq this weekend that had a processed bbq sauce on it and within about 10 minutes I felt the wave of heat rush through my body and I KNEW it was a sauce ladened with sugar.

I'm really proud of my cheat free streak. As an extreme example I was setting up the afternoon Bastille Day snacks for our French interns last week and removed the cover from the Nutella jar. I looked down and I had gotten Nutella on my fingers. The Old Bella would have licked her fingers clean and then grabbed a croissant. The New Bella went to the sink and washed her hands and grabbed herself a bottle of water.

WOW....what a difference a week makes.

While the weight isn't coming off as anyone with 115 pounds to lose would hope (3 pounds that go up and down), I still do have hope. I know that it will start coming off, and soon, once I get this new way of eating figured out. I probably need to cut out the dairy, cut out the occasional diet soda (bad for me, I know), and that will go a long way.

Here's to Week 2!

Week 2 and now 11 days cheat free!

My weight is still all over the place, but I'm working hard to not care. I'm mostly weighing every other day just to see how my body is reacting to various things. Like the other day, I had gotten almost no sleep so I drank a LOT of coffee. The next morning I had gained 2 pounds. I'm blaming it on water retention from all that caffeine, possibly also from all that excess dairy I had that day. Still planning to eliminate dairy in the future, but one mountain at a time!

Today I'm focusing on my food intake. I didn't bring any food with me to work, as we were running late due to the alarm not going off, so I'll be eating out for breakfast and lunch. No problem for my breakfast, a lovely omelet, but lunch will be tough. We have several places around that do a decent salad, but they are huge, expensive, and laddened with processed salad dressings. I think I may hit Chipotles, grab a salad there as they have hormone-free meat, local veg, and I won't need a dressing if I get some of their guacamole and a small dollop of sour cream.

My wife has decided to join me, finally, on this diet and I have let her know that she will be 50% responsible for meal prep. She will have no excuses until she is very pregnant, and then I won't mind her relaxing while I cook. I'll do the majority of weekday lunch prep on the weekends and she'll need to make every other dinner...but those are usually very easy (steaks, salmon, or chicken). I wish I could find a really good, mostly natural, oyster sauce out there. I'd love to cook up some chicken and eggplant for a change. Tried it with some Fish sauce this weekend and ended up throwing it all out. IT WAS NASTY!!! I'm still recovering from the salt!

Here's to a cheat free Week 2!

11 days cheat free is awesome!!!

And thank you for reminding me that Chipotle is no longer "off-limits" due to the high fat content.... *drool*
    Liz in Cleveland

Started Primal 7/17/12
    5'9"
    SW: 227.2
    CW: 213.6
    GW: 175

Liz, yes, Chipotles is fabulous! I love that I can get reasonably healthy choices there, even though its a chain (I own a couple stocks in them, so I'm slight biased, but this is WHY I bought them in the first place...you have to support the things in this world which make sense).

Last night my sweet wife had a breakdown. She cried and cried. Turns out she now weighs over 300 lbs, despite all her hard work. We sat down and talked over things...I, as gently as possible, reminded her about some of her bigger problems (snacking, giving up when things get tough, eating out at work a lot, cheating, choosing highly carbed foods, etc). Instead of ripping off my face she was receptive. Well, receptive as in "yeah, yeah, I know." She has a real fear of being hungry and tends to snack a lot. She could be cooking dinner, which would be ready in about 10 minutes and she'll still grab something to snack on....makes no sense to me.

HUNGRY WILL NOT KILL YOU! I think if I could break her of this habbit alone she would be on good footing. Sure, if I had lunch early and am absolutely ravished when I get home I might snag a piece of cheese just to tide me over until my dinner is cooked...and only then to help keep me from eating something bad.

This weekend I go through the cabinets, whether she likes it or not. It's tough love time. Everything non-primal is getting tossed. She doesn't like spinach much, tough. She's eating it. Not crazy for salmon, tough!

Enough about her....now for me. Still working on reducing my coffee intake...isn't going well. So far today I had a large iced coffee from Dunks and a venti latte from Starbroke. Really need to stop that.

This morning I've dropped 1 pound of the water weight I'm holding onto and am back down to 255. Hopefully, if I can keep off the coffee for the rest of the day and get plenty of water I will drop back down for tomorrow. Omlete for breakfast, salad for lunch....and grocery shopping for food for the week and dinner.

12 Days cheat free and counting....here's to making it to 14!

unsuperb is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by bellajgw View Post
    This weekend I go through the cabinets, whether she likes it or not. It's tough love time. Everything non-primal is getting tossed. She doesn't like spinach much, tough. She's eating it. Not crazy for salmon, tough!
    It might be easier to help set her up for success by not forcing foods that she wouldn't enjoy. There are many options available, and as long as she cleans up what she's eating currently, that should be all that matters. My partner would never eat paleo if it meant that she had to choke down salmon and spinach (former as she haaates fish, latter as it reminds her of her bodybuilding diet days). She's been eating this way longer than I have and only now kind of tolerates vegetables :P

Congrats on the 12 days cheat free! That is awesome! And good luck with the caffeine reduction. That's always tough.

This weekend went well. Wife was totally on board with me and we tossed all the bad foods in the apartment, except the stuff she uses specifically in her baking. I cooked and cooked this weekend...and cooked some more. She had liked the hash I made a couple weeks ago so I made a huge batch, thinking it would take us both through at least 3 lunches each this week....she didn't like it after all. So I froze half and the other half is lunch this week....all week. Well, at least I won't have to cook another hash this weekend.

Wifey agrees that she needs to be eating more salmon and spinach, so we're on the same page. They aren't her favorites, but if I make them a certain way she WILL eat it. We're in an awkward stage where she's trying to lose weight naturally and healthily AND we're trying to get pregnant at the same time...so the type and quality of food is vital, both for her health and the health of our potential little addition.

So for me it's a week of veggie and pork hash, a little chicken salad, and a new chicken/spinach/sweet potato cake that is soooo yummy and is my breakfast this morning. I think I could add a little salt and mushrooms and it will be perfection! Some steaks, some salmon, and some chicken.

Trying to keep my intake of carbs (all from veg or fruit) to 50 g or under as I lose weight...or attempt to. Finding it easier to do it I refrain from eating veggies with dinner. I actually heard that it was better to reduce your carbs in the evening anyway, so two birds, one stone.

I cut WAY back on the diet sodas (it's a bad habit I'm working on breaking) and finally saw scale movement today. I've been hovering at 255 for a week and today I finally dipped fown to 254. I'm sure its from the water retention letting go, but any downward movement is good.

Yesterday began phase 2 of my reduction plan. Yesterday I reduced my diet soda intake from 1 to 0. Today I reduce the amount of coffee and dairy by one. I typically get 3 coffees a day, all with loads of cream. Today, so far, I've had 1 coffee, black. I may not even go for my second coffee of the day if things go well. I can't guarantee that I'll never have another diet soda, but if I can go from 7-8 a week to 2-3 a week it's a step in the right direction.

So, all in all:

Eating about 50g or less a day of carbs (for wife as well)
    Eliminating most/all processed foods (for wife as well)
    Reducing diet soda intake by half (she doesn't drink it anyway)
    Reducing coffee intake by half (good luck getting wife to agree just yet)
    Reducing dairy consumption by half (oh, yeah right)

Not bad. Next phase will be to reduce the intake of artificial sweeteners (but not for another week or two)....oh joy.

Oh, and day 16 of cheat-free-ness!

Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast