Thread: Exercise and Brain Function page

Owly is offline Senior Member

Exercise and Brain Function

Interesting research on the mechanism that may be behind the association between exercise and improved brain function, including how the brain's glycogen storage capacity can potentially be increased through post-workout fuelling.

Phys Ed: How Exercise Fuels the Brain - NYTimes.com
    If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive. --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    An interesting read. It seems exercise is a win-win situation, you become healthier and in a way smarter.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Fascinating. I had no idea that the brain stores glycogen. Depletion of these stores could be another mechanism - alongside the known ones - whereby lack of carbohydrate availability can induce depression.

Although the amounts stored are small, turnover is very slow (3-5 days for depletion - see Human brain glycogen content and metabolism: implications on its role in brain energy metabolism). Hence, as well as protecting the brain from hypoglycaemia in times of stress, could the level of brain glycogen be used as a sensitive indicator of glycogen levels in the muscles and possibly the liver? I also note that the 3-5 days depletion corresponds with good results from carbing up or calorie cycling about once a week.

I like the idea that sprinting in workouts could help the brain load more glycogen to enable it to sprint when it's problem-solving.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

dado Guest
    I feel great after I bang some squats out. I feel so good that I start taking an interest in other people and what they have to say.

jackalan996 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I also use this type and get very meaning full result from it...
    but also doing exercise with it,,
    i get very good result from it...
    And i also get very use full information after reading this forum.
    Thanks to all!!!!