Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Hey all, new UK Grok-wannabe page

Tronor is offline Junior Member

Hey all, new UK Grok-wannabe

Primal Fuel
    Hey all, I'm Conor, I've been pondering over going primal for a fair few months now, since finding the Primal Blueprint when looking for a healthy lifestyle on Amazon. I've tried it briefly in the past, and must say, it worked rather well. It focuses on all the foods I love, and gives me freedom without feeling too restricted. I'm a huge meat fan, and too many health books are pro-veggie and it doesn't interest me personally.
    Anyway, I'm a 21 year old guy, measuring 6'3" who weighs 17 and a half stone (that's 245lb for my friends over the pond ) and am in dire need to lose about 40lbs in fat. Hopefully adding some muscle too. I have an extreme case of Irritable Bowel Syndrome, something that I need to sort, but also something I've noticed diminishes to almost nothing when I cut carbs and grains (sound familiar?).
    I have a pretty active job, as a Carer, so I tend to be on my feet rushing round a lot, but also need to get my arse back to the gym, and walk more. Overall, I'm quite physical, I just think I could do more. But couldn't we all? And would love any exercise or workout suggestions you guys have to offer.
    Anyway, sorry to write such a long intro, just wanted to say hello, give a little info and hopefully meet some people in common. Today is my first official day following the PB lifestyle, so hopefully months down the line we shall see some vast improvements.
    Thanks for your time all, keep Grokking!
    Tronor

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. I hope it goes well for you. It should.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Welcome Conor! Good to see the message is getting out bit by bit. I hope you have success I love primal foods too - it makes it so easy when 'healthy' means big lump of steak!

Sugar is my nicotine...

Tribal Rob is offline Senior Member
    hello and good luck with your first day
    You know all those pictures of Adam and Eve where they have belly button? Think about it..................... take as long as you need........................

pjgh is offline Senior Member
    Welcome aboard, mate! Another Yorkshire primal here.

If your job is physically active, rather than more stress in the gym how about a simple de-stressing walk each evening before dinner? I do just this (2-3 miles a night) and get so much more out of my evening and rest really well. Beyond diet, some activity and sleep are vitally important.

How was day one? Day two today ...

Tronor is offline Junior Member
    Nice to meet another Yorkshire Primal follower. Do you find getting diverse meats, and some primal friendly foods a challenge? And is there anywhere you'd recommend I get some bits for?
    And day one went really well, day two's a bit of a challenge though... Gonna start a journal asap
    Thanks for the responses guys, nice to be welcomed into the community

Look at your local farm shops - google will help you there. There'll be loads around your area, I'm sure. Local meat and vegetables should be plentiful, as should fresh fish up and down the coast. Eggs, too. I think we're a bit spoiled here in Yorkshire with such good food.

You'll get into the swing of it - those first few days can be really tough, and I mean really tough. Total energy drops, headaches and wondering whether it's all worth it will no doubt come over the next few days. You break through it, though ...

After that, you just love local, organic food. Try to work with food, too - eat seasonally: eat the seasons | seasonal food - this is the kind of food that will be in stock and in abundance in the farm shops.

At the beginning you might well find you need more fat than usual to offset the carby and sugary foods you used to eat. As you get into it, you'll find your need for excess fat will drop off - I don't add extra fat to meat now and usually the excess fat from meat to wet up vegetables.

Will you be eating some dairy as part of your primal lifestyle? Many of us do, but keep it to fermented dairy - cheese, yoghurt and the like, or the heavier creams.

I found lunches at work the most difficult but got into a good swing using long lettuce leaves (cos variety) as wraps for canned wild fish, shellfish and cottage cheese. Boiled eggs are good, too. There's some good variety in there for a light, yet protein and fat rich lunch.

Dinners are just a case of some meat and some vegetables. No frills, no fuss ... unless you like to. I usually work in a soup of some variety to get some seaweed in a couple of times a week as a starter and like to get eggs into starters, too. If you find a longing for a dessert, keep it to berries, yoghurt, perhaps cream ... panna cotta? Damn easy to make!

Breakfasts can be whatever you can cope with. I usually don't bother, but do have a good fry-up at the weekend. Bacon and eggs are an easy one, but really, breakfast can be any leftovers from the night before - that's a primal thing to do.

Ease in ...

If you're hungry, just fill up on green vegetables with a little more animal fat. Spring greens are bang in season at the moment and dead cheap - you get 5 or 6 in a bag at Sainsbury's for 1! Purple Sprouting Broccoli is in season, too, but can be expensive. Tenderstem broccoli is really good.

One final point - do try to resist snacking. There are a whole host of reasons for this, but essentially, your hunger patterns will reset very quickly and you'll be into the swing of it much more quickly. Savour the hunger in between, satisfy that hunger at mealtimes.

Keep with it ...

Nigel is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tronor View Post
    I've been pondering over going primal for a fair few months now

Anyway, I'm a 21 year old guy, measuring 6'3" who weighs 17 and a half stone (that's 245lb for my friends over the pond ) and am in dire need to lose about 40lbs in fat.
    Conor, a little like me in the first sentence. But, I'm 61, 5'11" and the same weight so I've got a lot more fat to lose.
    Why use a sledge hammer to crack a nut when a steam roller is even more effective, and, is fun to drive.

... it took me almost 40 years to get like that.

6'2" by 13 and around 13 stone until my mid-30s. That's when I powered the weight on. I was around 18 stone (I always said, but it was more like 20, in honesty) and a 40" waist (which was, in reality 42, if not 44 ... just pulled it in). Inside one year of paleo/primal eating I am down to around 17 stone (genuinely) and a 36" waist (genuinely). I am a lot more muscled than before.

Regimen? Eat straight down the line paleo/primal. I maintained dairy as yoghurt, cheese and cream - I am tolerant and adapted. Yoghurt helped heal my gut. I didn't go low-carb deliberately, but did cut out potatoes for many month. Roots were always in. In more recent months I've added potatoes back in, but kept them to small portions and always cooked with fat to lower the glycemic load and slow stomach emptying. In recent weeks, I have allowed myself some green beans, peas and so on, which is perfectly primal (being fine, raw) but not necessarily paleo (a more strict regimen I have been following ... somewhere between paleo and primal) and occasionally (maybe three times?) I've eaten lentils - green and puy.

I realised that if weight loss was to be permanent, it would not be rapid and must be accompanied by a genuine lifestyle change. It took me 35 plus years to get this way and it might take me a couple more to re-shape myself for the coming decades.

I began walking - just half a mile a day, which practically killed me initially. Now, I was 2-3 miles a day, purposefully and to de-stress at the end of a day. I get so much more out of my evenings. I lift unpredictable weights - tyres, buckets of water, large rocks, heavy tree trunks. That's once a week. At weekends, I love a longer walk and can happily take in 10-15 miles and still be happy to go more.

Taking up a gym membership was not for me. Furthermore, I wonder just how "primal" a gym is. Better to get out into fields, lift rocks, into woods, do pull ups, lift fallen trees, drag things around ... I'm moving house soon and there'll be a lot of that to re-shape the garden and re-build an 18' dry stone wall!

I hope this is a real encouragement to you.

You've done the right thing by starting - the path you take now is your choice. I would only advise that you enjoy the scenery while you walk that path, whatever or wherever it goes. Be purposeful, but don't lose sight of the fact that this change is so that you can have a long and happy life.

... and if you need some hints and tips about cooking some of our nation's favourite foods in a manner coherent with primal principles, check out: living in the ice age

metalsuzyq is offline Junior Member
    hi there!!
    im new and im from Chesterfield!! hoorah
    ordered my book on amazon just now, so will get it tomorrow, looking forward to starting it :-)

Sue x

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast