Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Yerba Mate - how do ye love thee? page

LeaB is offline Member

Yerba Mate - how do ye love thee?

Shop Now
    I bought some yerba mate yesterday (shocked to find it at Cub Foods). Because I have seen some posts here about how delicious it is and good substitute for coffee.

hmmm, just tastes like some marginal tea to me. Am I missing something? It is called Yerba Mate, comes in tea bags, directions are to steep for 5-10 minutes.

It is not awful, just not what I would call a great substitute for my morning coffee.

I find Roobios teas much more delicious.

anyone enjoying Yerba Mate? and are you doctoring it up somehow primal style? I don't use any sweeteners or dairy at the moment.

afsjesse is offline Senior Member
    Yerba Mate is a drink that originates in the River Plate region of South America, Argentina, Uruguay, Paraguay, and Southern Brazil. It is very bitter and is usually drunk out of a gourd (mate) through a metal straw called a bombilla. The 'yerba' is actually a tree leaf. It is very healthy and contains many health benefits.

I lived in Argentina for ten months and had loads of the stuff. Typically, you either drink it with just hot water or you add a bit of sugar. Some people even add some 7up or Sprite to it. During the summer yerba mate is called Terere and you add some cold juice with it.

I enjoy it, but it's an acquired taste.

Enjoy!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    I love the stuff and drink several glasses of it every day, iced. And I keep a pitcher in the frig at all times.

I've grown used to the taste over the years but sometimes I'll add a drop or two of stevia if I want something sweet.

The last couple years I've taken to mixing it with white tea and I think it softens the weird taste of the yerba mate. I'll put two tbsp of white tea and one tbsp of yerba mate in a french press and run it through two steep cycles of hot water. Pour into an ice filled pitcher and good to go.

I get both teas in bulk online and the bags last me a good long while.

I don't know that yerba mate is the magic bullet it's made out to be but I'm pretty confident that at least some of the benefits are real... especially when combined with a primal diet. I sleep better and poop WAY better. It certainly has a benefit in that it replaces all the coffee and Diet Pepsi I used to consume.
    Last edited by denasqu; 03-05-2012 at 05:51 AM.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

lamoka is offline Senior Member
    I, too, just bought some guayaki yerba mate, greener than green tea.. I find it to have a very ashy taste, like cigarette ashes.. actually thought about just throwing it out cause I don't care for the flavor.. I even added a little honey.. any suggestions for this.. its geared towared vitality, clarity and well being and I was drawn to it.. and really want to give it a chance..
    Female 5'5", Feb. 29, 2012 SW 208, GW 160
    My journal...
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...tml#post734883

honeypig is offline Senior Member
    Disclaimer: I don't work for these folks. I just bumbled across them online and have ordered from them and think they have some decent products, so wanted to pass the info on.

Try this site Adagio Teas for an immense selection of loose tea of all types. I got 2 kinds of mate from them, this one Mocha Nut Mate Tea and this one Citrus Mate Tea. I like to add a little honey and coconut milk to the mocha nut one, but I find both very flavorful.

I also will mention this little item KATI Tea Brewing System as something you might like if you drink a significant amount of tea. I bought one myself, feeling that I was spending a ridiculous amount of money on something that probably really wasn't all that great, but I am SO glad I have it! It makes it so terrifically convenient to make a cup of loose tea, and thus I drink more than I used to, which can only be good, right?

Anyway, hope you find this useful, or at least informative....

dado Guest
    I used to drink the stuff by the GALLON when I played Call of Duty last summer.

So good for me, so good for you, YERBA YERBA SO GOOD!!!

iniQuity is offline Senior Member
    I think you were expecting it to taste or have the body/texture of coffee? it's a tea though, and not a dark tea, so that would never happen. It's mostly compared to coffee due to the caffeine content which is higher than most teas, but still not packing the same punch as coffee; however, it also doesn't bring about the same type of crash that at least I experience when I drink coffee.

You may actually enjoy Teavana's "Matevana" blend, it has some cocoa and other shit (sorry it's too Monday right now to be more eloquent) and if you let it brew a little longer will have that stronger coffee 'dark' taste. It also goes REALLY great with some heavy cream, so it is actually a much closer 'replacement'

it's also pretty cheap, compared to their other teas at least. Their calypso mate is also nice, but a lighter sort of 'hay' taste mixed with some citrus so it's probably more of a summer taste.

Finally, consider that you can mix what you have with some black tea and achieve a better taste from it. I have about 7 teas at work that I mix all the time depending on what type of flavor I want, so give that a go.

patski is offline Senior Member
    I love, love, LOVE yerba mate. My candida issue forced me to give up coffee completely.

You can find flavored yerba mate teas at specialty stores. Not sure if David's Tea ships to the US.

I would mix some rooibos and yerba mate together!

Also, I make my yerba mate bulletproof in the mornings with coconut oil and butter. I also like to add some cinnamon and nutmeg to it.
    A Post-Primal PrimalPat

Do not allow yourself to become wrapped up in a food 'lifestyle'. That is ego, and you are not that.

LeaB is offline Member
    Patski, YOU were the one that said it is so great and prompted me to buy!!! hahah I was reading the Candida thread the other day.

Well, I am on my second cup, and I have to say that it is growing on me. I will try it for a few days and see if I am still missing my coffee. I will also try the suggestions offered here to doctor it up a bit.

I might have to make a trip out to Teavana and check out the matevana too. As I am a dark coffee drinker, the darker the better. so maybe that will be nice.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lamoka View Post
    I, too, just bought some guayaki yerba mate, greener than green tea.. I find it to have a very ashy taste, like cigarette ashes.. actually thought about just throwing it out cause I don't care for the flavor.. I even added a little honey.. any suggestions for this.. its geared towared vitality, clarity and well being and I was drawn to it.. and really want to give it a chance..
    I have the same kind and I agree: it tastes kinda like ashes... but I kinda like it at the same time, haha.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast