Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Just had my first Crossfit class page

Trau is offline Junior Member

It was part one of a 3-part "fundamentals" series the trainer requires you to take before enrolling in the group classes. The 3 fundamentals classes cost 75 altogether. After that it's 75 bucks a month for 3-day-a-week group classes (he said group sometimes means him and you).

It sounds like a steal to me, since he stretches you and he's a paleo eater so he can offer nutritional advice I'm down with.

I figure at least until I feel like a Crossfit pro, this is the best route to take. Any other Crossfit folks out there have thoughts?

BTW, after doing some lifts so he could find my range and show me some form, we did dead-hang pullups, chest-to-floor pushups and air squats in rounds of 3-5-7 for as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes. I got 8 rounds in. Was DEAD tired!

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

I sometimes feel like an outcast nutcase, wandering the hallways of Crossfit and spouting prophecy that gets me stoned. (With stones, not hallucinogenic substances).

The reason I say this is because I broke my body overdoing Crossfit coupled with long-distance cycling by waaaaaaaaaay overtraining.

In fact, those who start Crossfit with some degree of strength and endurance are most at risk for self-harm precisely because you are fit enough to overdo. (Research rhabdomyolysis on the Crossfit main site.)

Financially, those fees are quite reasonable and in line with the middle of most Crossfit affiliates.

Just take it easy ramping up, ok? REALLY listen to your body, and skip a session if you are too sore---especially in the beginning.

What you DON'T want to do is just do one 'metcon' day after another, you will pound down into the dust. Good programming (after the intro level) includes work on bodyweight exercises (handstand pushups, L-sits, pistols, etc.), as well as pure strength days without any sprinting work at all.

Crossfit is like powerful medicine. The right dose, at the right frequency, is beneficial. Overdoses can be toxic.

Enjoy your wonderful adventure. I wish I could still do it, sometimes.

Sooze

Grumpycakes is offline Senior Member

Wow, the Crossfit centre here costs about $120 / month. Took the free introductory class and didn't think it was worth that much.

You lousy kids! Get off my savannah!

Geoff is offline Member

I had a really bad first (and still only) Crossfit experience. The trainers were not good at scaling the workout. Since then I've continued my interest in Crossfit from afar. Lack of a nearby instructor in whom I can place confidence has kept me out, but I know that my concerns are strictly instructor-based. I have no beef with Crossfit as a concept.

So if you're going to make the leap into it be sure the instructor knows exactly what s/he is doing with scaling the workouts. Discuss and get comfortable with the scaling plan in advance before laying any money down.

dannyjnoonan Guest

I've been doing crossfit for like 2.5 years. It's awesome. I love it. The Rhabdo fears are overhyped. It's still way safer than running or most team sports. Use your head. Listen to your body. Scale back for a while. But stick with it. It's fun and it works.

Trau is offline Junior Member

Thanks for the input, all. I'm definitely going to stick with it and see how it is going forward.

Kent Hawley is offline Junior Member

We don't have CrossFit here, but I do CrossFit-type WODs twice a week (usually based on the CrossFit Enhance affiliate). I scale them to my ability (and bad shoulder). I've only been doing them about three weeks now, so I still haven't found the right weights and ranges for every exercise. Further, I have been easing into it so as not to injure myself.

I like CrossFit workouts because they replicate real-world activities. Performing a WOD twice a week gives me time to recover, move slowly, and sprint occasionally.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

I've always done it on my own. The gyms are really expensive ($75/month sounds pretty cheap) and I can't do 3 on 1 off. My body needs to heal. Plus with so much support online I always had my questions answered. There is even a section on the message board where you can upload videos of yourself to get critiqued on your lifting.

dannyjnoonan: I'm curious why/how CrossFit is safer than running? Or at least, safer than running with proper form.

MMS131 is offline Junior Member

Hi Trau. I also just completed the three fundamentals classes at a Detroit area CrossFit facility. For the three classes, it was $150. Now, for three classes per week, it's $135 per month. I'd definitely say you're getting a great deal.

I was very interested in CrossFit but had never done any type of "real" heavy lifting before. I would have never, ever pushed myself in the way that the CrossFit trainers have pushed me, even in just the introductory sessions. It's a good thing, for me anyway.

Being a 5'5", 125 lb female, I'm not overweight but would love to "tone up" more, and I can definitely see this happening quickly with CrossFit. Further, I really like that CrossFit focuses on strength and solid movements, not just on looking good, as so many other workouts, especially those aimed at females, do. Not that I don't want to look good - I do - but too much focus on looking good is unmotivating for me. If I don't see instant results, I get discouraged. CrossFit, I think, will help me solve that problem.

Finally, I definitely agree that the workouts must be scaled, and thankfully, the CrossFit in my area takes this very seriously. Hopefully someday soon I will be able to report back that I can do a real push up and pull up!!

Blorton is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

I'm in the same boat as PrimalChild. There are several centers around me, but they are horridly expensive. That's a shame because I'm absolutely fascinated by it. I figure for what they are charging, I'll just gradually follow some of the budget home setup suggestions and ease into it that way.

Primal since February 2010. On seventh round of P90x.

My Blathering, Babbling Journal

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast