Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Just had my first Crossfit class page 2

adamsaysyo is offline Member

Shop Now

Trau - that is a great price - where I take crossfit, the rate is 125 a month. Most people do 3 times a week, but I have been doing it for about 5 months, so I do it 4 days a week and do Krav Maga (its a martial art) 2 days, for a total of 2 days off (my math doesn't add up...but i double up one day).

It really does matter on your instructor - i can't imagine what it would have been like if my instructors weren't constantly pushing me to excel, checking my form, making sure i was at the proper weight, giving me alternates to the presribed weight if i can't do it at that weight (or just can't do that exercise...like handstand pushups).

You've got a great deal there - i say go for it.

Small world - crossfit was created by greg glassman, and i worked with kathy glassman (his sister) for a few weeks at my current job. when I started my job, she was leaving to go help work at crossfit - i had no clue what she was talking about - little did i know i would soon find out!

dannyjnoonan Guest

Barryman9000: "dannyjnoonan: I'm curious why/how CrossFit is safer than running? Or at least, safer than running with proper form."

The data on the percentage of runners that get injured is staggering. Crossfit injuries are way more rare. I'm sure you're going to comment on that being caused by improper running form, but crossfit injuries, including Rhabdo, are caused by improper technique to the same degree that running injuries are. On a whole, I think you're just going to get way fewer injuries from a varied exercise plan than from a constantly repeated, high-stress exercise plan.

mstrudle is offline Member

People have also been running for much longer than Crossfit has existed.

You cannot watch this video and tell me that it is healthy, when clearly this person is putting his shoulders under tremendous negative strain.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kEUxEo5_7hY

dannyjnoonan Guest

We haven't been heel-striking that much longer. Which is what most runners do now. Which is unsafe. The vast majority of crossfitters do not do the butterfly kip, or only do it for specific workouts. I've never noticed any undue strain on my shoulders from it. Also, I could find you videos of dangerous running form too.

Something like 80% of runners get hurt every year. Crossfit is nowhere near that.

EGYnutrition is offline Senior Member

Uhh we've been running just as long as we've been pushing, pulling, twisting, bending, jumping, squatting, and lunging. Gait is just another natural movement.

With that said, crossfit is very powerful. If you can tailor it to yourself, and know when to stop and go, you'll do great. If you blindly follow workouts and finish regardless of pain, you'll be done within a month or so.

I love crossfit for what it emphasizes and for what it accomplishes in those who do it right. But any experienced trainer (crossfit or not) will tell you training needs to be as individualized as the diet.

Me making a workout that is:

5 rounds of,

10 push-ups

200M Sprint

10 pull-ups

Will work for some people, not for ALL. Someone is going to have a shoulder injury. Someone is going to not be able to do push-ups. Tailor it to yourself, or get a trainer to do it for you. Follow those rules and you'll be addicted within a few sessions.

In Pursuit of Healthiness, Only to Achieve Happiness!: www.livingnotsurviving.com

dannyjnoonan Guest

An unnatural gait isn't a natural movement.

I'm not saying "running sucks, crossfit rules." I run all the time. I love running. I'm just saying that, all things considered, more people get hurt running than doing crossfit. And therefore, holding onto fears of rhabdo, when you don't exhibit the same sorts of fears about running or soccer or anything else that requires getting out of bed in the morning, doesn't make a lot of sense. As with anything, listen to your body and don't do anything stupid and you'll be fine.

barryman9000 is offline Senior Member

dannyjnoonan: Thanks for the reply (replies!). I'm going to play devils advocate and say that there are millions and millions of runners out there, and only thousands of CF-ers - hence more running injuries. I'd be surprised to get an accurate number of CrossFit injuries... I'd actually be surprised to get an accurate number of running injuries too, but I'd still bet its going to be a larger number based on total number of runners.

Here's a perfect example of what I'm talking about. The video that mstrudle posted of the butterfly pullup... that exercise put me in the doctor's office, but I didn't report it to anyone.

Would you consider running with proper form high stress exercise? Honest question.

shepherd is offline Junior Member

There's a risk of injury for just about any conditioning you could do whether it's running, crossfit, or basket weaving (you know the repetitive stress injury from that must be awful!). Do you worry about grievous injury just from lifting weights? Probably not. In my experience, when applied with a user listening to their body and using their brain, Crossfit isn't any more dangerous than normal weight lifting... same thing with running. Just stay smart and err on the side of easy. You don't have anyone to blame but yourself if you drink the Koolaid and injure yourself badly.

In your face, Space Coyote!

Fury22 is offline Senior Member

As far as inuries with Crossfit are concerned, there are much more injuries than most Crossfitters report, as I've seen the Crossfit community become a sort Jedi-like cult where dissent is not tolerated. This is the main thing that bothers me with most "Crossfitters".

Crossfit affiliates tend to be hit or miss. Some affiliates are really good with very good coaches (very important for learning the Olympic lifts), but some are just horrible and still charge ridiculous amounts of money.

While I don't have a problem with Crossfit in general, I have a problem with some of their highly utilized exercises that do pose a risk, like Kipping Pull-ups (I don't even see the use in these at all) and the High Rep Snatching & Cleaning (although this is not something every Crossfit center does and should never consider doing anyway).

I am not anti-Crossfit at all, don't get me wrong! I think they do a lot of good things, like actually popularizing the use of compound lifts and real exercising. There are some things that I don't agree with as well, but this often goes back to the people and not the Crossfit "system" (not that it is really anything new, but that is another argument). The worst of them usually tend to be the ones who haven't been doing it long and develop a strong sense of self-importance because they think they are somehow elite.

Check out my blog!

http://easternstrength.blogspot.com/

I like to throw, squat and pull heavy things for fun.

We're designed to be hunters and we're in a society of shopping. There's nothing to kill anymore, there's nothing to fight, nothing to overcome, nothing to explore. In that societal emasculation this everyman is created. ~David Fincher, director of Fight Club, interview with Gavin Smith, "Inside Out," Film Comment, Sep/Oct 1999

Caveman44 is offline Junior Member

Quote Originally Posted by Trau View Post
    It was part one of a 3-part "fundamentals" series the trainer requires you to take before enrolling in the group classes. The 3 fundamentals classes cost 75 altogether. After that it's 75 bucks a month for 3-day-a-week group classes (he said group sometimes means him and you).

It sounds like a steal to me, since he stretches you and he's a paleo eater so he can offer nutritional advice I'm down with.

I figure at least until I feel like a Crossfit pro, this is the best route to take. Any other Crossfit folks out there have thoughts?

BTW, after doing some lifts so he could find my range and show me some form, we did dead-hang pullups, chest-to-floor pushups and air squats in rounds of 3-5-7 for as many rounds as possible in 10 minutes. I got 8 rounds in. Was DEAD tired!

Trau, Where is this Crossfit facility located? I'm looking for an affordable one myself....

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12