Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I need a community page

Kitmao is offline Junior Member

I need a community

Desire to be paleo... check
    Knowledge of primal eating and movements... check
    stocked refrigerator and love for primal foods... check!
    support and community of like-minded individuals.. um, well...

Hi,
    I'm like a stumbling addict that keeps sticking my head up into the refreshing air of sobriety, taking a few big breaths, and then sinks back into the sweet, miserable waves of my drug. I get clean, and each time for longer, but something always seems to pull me back and I think I finally figured out what that is. I have no support.

Back in August, I decided I was going to do what I knew was the right thing, and go paleo. I had some good weeks, and then I was confronted with a dairy-free (I'm allergic to dairy) cake made especially for me at my friend's kid's birthday party. They had just had a new baby one week earlier and this cake was literally made for me by the new mom. Oh boy. I felt like the enemy if I said no. But, I should have said no.
    If the last many months have taught me anything, it is that I have to treat sugar the way my husband treats alcohol - one will ALWAYS lead to another, and then the flood gates are open. I really do treat sugar like a drug. That cake turned into a two-week binge on sweets.
    So, my story goes: I have a couple weeks of stellar eating. I feel amazing, I love what I'm eating, and the sugar craving goes away. Then, I find myself in a situation where I cave. That turns into at least a week of eating sweets every day, and each time I quit it is that much harder.

I'm at home with a toddler all day and my husband works overtime constantly. We have one car, which just makes me feel isolated even though I'm really not. It's just something I'm not yet adjusted to. I have plenty of days where all I want to do is "ease my stress" with junk food. I'm aware that this is what is going on, and I'm not here to complain about my situation because I could find a million great things to say about it, but the reality is I have my struggles and food was always my comfort. I'm sure a lot of people can relate to that.

I'm not on these boards to specifically lose weight, or go on a diet, or any of that. To me, going primal is about being the healthiest and happiest I can be. I'm here because I want to get into a community of like-minded individuals who see the primal lifestyle as the best way to be. I want a place where people actually understand the struggles, instead of getting the "well, you wanted to eat this way, no one's making you" pep talk my very non-primal-eating husband gives. I want to succeed at this, and I'm going to keep trying until I can get this to stick.

So, hello to everyone out there!

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome, I would suggest reading some journals and finding others with similar life situations. Post in their journals and start your own. I have built a group of about 10 close friends here on MDA. We keep each other on the primal path and share our lives. Good Luck!
    Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

Guod is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Kitmao View Post
    I'm like a stumbling addict that keeps sticking my head up into the refreshing air of sobriety, taking a few big breaths, and then sinks back into the sweet, miserable waves of my drug. I get clean, and each time for longer, but something always seems to pull me back and I think I finally figured out what that is. I have no support.
    It's not that you have no support, its that you haven't hit bottom yet.

The support is here. Let the MDA people help.
    And the meek shall inherit the earth.
    What good is a used up world, and how could it be worth having?

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    I liked your intro and I'm finding that the community of like-minded people was the missing piece for me too.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    Welcome the MDA forum. I can empathize with your situation. First, I'm a stay at home dad of my two boys (3 yo and 1 yo). I understand how you can feel isolated sometimes, I try to get out of the house as much as I can. Second, sometimes I eat things that I shouldn't and pay for it ulimately with what I think are mild allergic reactions.

Most of the people here are very helpful and friendly. Don't give up on this way of life, I know it's a cliche, but it's a journey. I try to keep in mind that I'm doing this for myself and my family. It may take a while, but stick with it.

TwinkiesnKetchup is offline Junior Member
    wow, my suggestion is to allow yourself some grace. something like a peice of cake now and then (1-4 times a year) isn't going to kill your diet. I suggest a food journal. My experience is it takes about a week for me to get cravings for sweets out of my system after I "cheat" so when I do "cheat" I weigh the cost of having to be tough for a solid 7 days. Eating is social and we all have complex social scenarios going on around us. A peice of cake with a beloved friend after the birth of a child is warrented and will not cause a set back as long as you bite the bullet and stick to your plan the remaining time. Also have a talk with your friends and get them on board with your health. insist that they love and support your decision to be healthy and give them option to show love and friendship that is either not food related or primal diet friendly.

Last but least, the beauty for me of the primal diet is how easy it is, it doesn't take a lot of thought, not a lot of sacrifice. My friends know the things I will eat and they do not push the envelope. Now if I can just get my co-workers on board!

Good Luck!

Quickdraw is offline Member
    A community helps.

Also, echoing the suggestion to journal. It makes a HUGE difference.
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis

Quickdraw is offline Member
    A community helps.

Also, echoing the suggestion to journal. It makes a HUGE difference.
    About Me | Journal: "Grok: Deployed"
    "Doctrine is the last refuge of the unimaginative." - General James Mattis

greytgrokette! is offline Junior Member
    Sugar addiction can be beat. Being a stay at home mom can really isolate you, especially with a small child, and not being able to leave the house easily. I was addicted to sugar to the point where I was diagnosed with a really severe cane sugar allergy. I have gotten to the point where I view sugar is poison to my system. Do I crave it when the kids are eating it beside me...yes, at times, but then I run to a piece of fruit or just ignore the cravings. It does get easier. You just have to put some time and effort into it and chat with others who have similar interests on this board to get the support you need to overcome the sugar cravings. I can honestly tell you it does get better, and you'll feel so much better for being off of sugar for good.

Comma is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Ugh, poor thing, first kids are tough. Once you have the second one you don't know what all the fuzz was about, but when you have the first one it's sinking ships all the time. Tell all your mom-friends (don't have any? Get them. You'll need them.) you have to do this diet to control the blood sugar in order to have kid-rearing energy. No need for all the gory details. They should understand and keep the cake out of your face. Tell them to.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast