Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: primal shepherd's pie recipes anyone? page

mosin46 is offline Senior Member

primal shepherd's pie recipes anyone?

Primal Fuel
    i am thinking sweet potatoes for regular ones. most shepherd's pie uses corn,so looking for some alternate ideas and recipes. thanks.

Man of Kent is offline Senior Member
    I use this one off the BBC Food website - BBC - Food - Recipes : Shepherd's pie with spiced parsnip mash. Simply leave out the tbsp of flour and it's pretty much entirely Primal. Absolutely delicious by the way!

denasqu is offline Senior Member
    I'm going to try this one with cauliflower mash instead of potatoes but haven't gotten around to it yet. I don't care much for sweet potatoes.
    "If we’re not supposed to eat animals, how come they’re made out of meat?" - Tom Snyder, talk show host

the cauli deal is an idea. i flog this forum because there is a bunch of knowledge and experience here i want to gloom.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Instead of mashed potatoes I use a combination of cauliflower, carrots and parsnips. Cauliflower by itself can be a little watery and the flavor of parsnips by themselves is a little strong but all 3 together is great. For the meat part I like to use some ground lamb and beef.

Gravyboat is offline Senior Member
    Haha, I actually have some shepherd's pie on the stove right now. And, by all accounts, I make the best shepherd's pie in the world. The BBC recipe does not look horrible, but I'll admit I don't understand why they put indian spices in the topping.

Anyway, what I do is take a whole onion, dice it up, and put it in a large pot with some minced garlic and butter. Sautee until the onion turns soft and starts to caramelize a little. Then add 1-2lbs of ground beef and brown it. Then add carrots, celery, and peas (peas are optional, but I love them, and Mark says they are not so bad), about half a cup of ketchup*, several tbsp of worcestershire, salt and pepper, paprika, and celery seed. Then add water to cover the ingredients and put to simmer on the stove with a lid on for at least half an hour. Stir occasionally.

When all the vegetables are fully cooked, remove the lid and continue simmering to reduce the "soup". You can also fine-tune the spices at this point. I usually end up adding more of everything, but I go by taste. Keep stirring occasionally so nothing sticks to the bottom and burns.

Since I have gone primal, I've been completely skipping the mash portion and just eat the meat portion directly. So I can't really help you with that, but I think mashed carrots and turnips would be good. Other people like mashed cauliflower. When I did mashed potatoes I usually put sliced green onions and garlic in them, and that was pretty good. I bet you could do that with the other roots as well, but it might be better to go with a specific mash recipe unless you're down for experimenting.

I also don't put mine in the oven anymore since it's just meat, and it's just me, and I'm lazy. And I usually eat the meat with a huge amount of freshly-shredded cheddar on top. When I was doing the mash, I always did a thick layer of cheddar between the layers. It's really really good and I highly recommend that.

Overall, you can be fancy with broth and whatnot if you want to, but I don't bother. And you can pretty much put any vegetables in there you want to and it won't change the taste much. Last week I noticed my carrots had gone bad (how??) and I was pretty much at the end of my produce. So I just used onions and, actually, asparagus. It worked fine. The dominant taste is the spicy/tangy ketchup and worcestershire, so the individual vegetables are not hugely important. You also really don't need to thicken it with flour. Just letting it reduce on the stove works fine, and it also makes all the tastes stronger rather than blander with tasteless thickener. If you want pie with more punch to it, add sriracha and/or cayenne to the meat portion, and then balance it out with heavy cream in the mash portion.

I would definitely suggest experimenting and freeforming. It is a pretty infinitely-customizable dish.

* Spubba recently posted a good ketchup recipe with no added sugar:
    My ketchup recipe:
    - 1 12-oz can of tomato paste (I found a kind that has just tomatoes as the ingredient, nothing else added)
    - 1.5 cups of water
    - 2 tablespoons of white vinegar
    - 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
    - 1/2 teaspoon salt
    - 1/4 teaspoon allspice
    - Pinch of cayenne pepper (optional)
    [Edit to add: If you feel that the meat portion needs to be sweeter, try adding liquid hickory smoke in lieu of sugar. Go easy on that stuff, though. A little dab'll do ya.]
    Last edited by Gravyboat; 03-04-2012 at 05:44 PM.

_-J o u r n a l_--------- ---- ---- --- --- -- -- -

yea,i learned liq smoke goes a LONG way. will check ingredients of allspice. am not familiar.

slowcooker is offline Senior Member
    I tried a mix of yam and cauliflower tonight and it turned out great. I just put frozen mixed vegetables in mine - corn, carrots, beans, peas etc.
    Last edited by slowcooker; 03-05-2012 at 05:09 AM.

great stuff coming in. i have a ton of no fat added ground venison and like to play around so,may make and post some ideas-after consulting with my good cook daughter this week.

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I find swede/rutabaga is far and away the best potato substitute.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast