Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: In search for a diet plan page

KathyH is offline Senior Member

In search for a diet plan

Hi,

I just joined this forum because it seems like there is a lot of good info here.
    Let me just state from the beginning, I do not have any health issues, I do not need to loose any weight. I am looking for a healthy eating plan. I am thinking that even though I don't have any problems right now, maybe down the road I will because I might be eating certain things that I shouldn't??? I am not sure and that's what made me look into different diets.
    I read the Paleo Blue Print and I think I understand it but I am confused by all these diets, South Beach Diet which doesn't seem that different for me from Primal Diet or Atkins Diet for that matter ohh and another confusion Primal and Paleo (I did read Mark's explanation on this and understand it's the difference of saturated fats). In any case, I was hoping that someone could explain to me why this diet is better than other diets. After reading all the confusing info (scientific and on various websites, looking at food pyramids, talking to different doctors) I don't know what to follow and who to believe.
    Can someone help?

Kathy

hottierockstar is offline Senior Member
    this is just my take....
    southbeach/atkins are marketed towards weight loss and low "carb". there isn't a care what the carbs are comprised of as long as it is under a certain number and also allows for processed foods.
    the primary goal of most ppl that do atkins/southbeach is weight loss (imho)

primal/paleo is for health and weight loss is just a bonus (for some...some ppl don't lose weight at all).
    is based around whole, unprocessed, unrefined foods - healthy fats, veggies, meats, fruits. (most ppl associate primal/paleo with "no grains")
    some ppl are eating this way to improve/control a condition/s, some are athletes, some to improve overall health, some just cuz they like it.

i think as far as the diff between paleo/primal or paleo/paleo depends on the person and what works for them/what they read first...some ppl eat dairy, some don't...some ppl eat nuts, some don't...some are hardcore organic/grass-fed/locally grown consumers and some eat what is affordable/readily available...some are low carb/starch and some are not, some count calories, some don't....for everyone (i will be corrected if i am wrong LOL) it is no processed foods, no grains, no refined sugars.

Quote Originally Posted by hottierockstar View Post
    this is just my take....
    southbeach/atkins are marketed towards weight loss and low "carb". there isn't a care what the carbs are comprised of as long as it is under a certain number and also allows for processed foods.
    the primary goal of most ppl that do atkins/southbeach is weight loss (imho)

primal/paleo is for health and weight loss is just a bonus (for some...some ppl don't lose weight at all).
    is based around whole, unprocessed, unrefined foods - healthy fats, veggies, meats, fruits. (most ppl associate primal/paleo with "no grains")
    some ppl are eating this way to improve/control a condition/s, some are athletes, some to improve overall health, some just cuz they like it.

i think as far as the diff between paleo/primal or paleo/paleo depends on the person and what works for them/what they read first...some ppl eat dairy, some don't...some ppl eat nuts, some don't...some are hardcore organic/grass-fed/locally grown consumers and some eat what is affordable/readily available...some are low carb/starch and some are not, some count calories, some don't....for everyone (i will be corrected if i am wrong LOL) it is no processed foods, no grains, no refined sugars.
    Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. So it seems to me that this diet is so diverse that I wouldn't know where to start.
    Is there a long terms study that people who prescribed to all these diet variants you described didn't have any problems down the road. I mean is there scientific data from reputable scientific nutritional journals proving or describing pros and cons. I am having a hard time relying on anecdotal evidence. I am sorry, maybe I missed this data in the forum, maybe you can point me to it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you again for redefining the diet for me. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Kathy

RitaRose is offline Senior Member

I think this is key. The focus is where I notice the difference. With Atkins, the focus is on weight loss and you just might get healthier while you're at it. With Primal and Paleo, the focus is more on current and long term health, and if you get thinner or more muscular in the process, then great, but it's not really the point. In other words, with Atkins/South Beach, you end up healthier because you're not as fat. With Primal/Paleo, you end up the right size because you're healthier and your body is working the right way.

Also, Primal/Paleo has a rather large percentage of posters that are in the scientific community. That means people expect statements to be backed up with studies and not just accepted as fact. I think that keeps people honest and more on track.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Hi,

Thank you so much for your reply. So it seems to me that this diet is so diverse that I wouldn't know where to start.
    Is there a long terms study that people who prescribed to all these diet variants you described didn't have any problems down the road. I mean is there scientific data from reputable scientific nutritional journals proving or describing pros and cons. I am having a hard time relying on anecdotal evidence. I am sorry, maybe I missed this data in the forum, maybe you can point me to it, I would greatly appreciate it.
    Thank you again for redefining the diet for me. I really appreciate your time and effort.

Kathy
    you already read TPB so i can't point you there as a starting point

I'm kind of confused...pros and cons of what? eating whole foods?

some ppl do/don't eat nuts, dairy, organic, local, grass-fed, etc....that isn't exclusive to paleo/primal.

whole foods = good
    incomplete foods/chemicals = bad

sorry if i am not helping i just really don't understand what data you are looking for/concerns you have :|

you already read TPB so i can't point you there as a starting point

I'm kind of confused...pros and cons of what? eating whole foods?

some ppl do/don't eat nuts, dairy, organic, local, grass-fed, etc....that isn't exclusive to paleo/primal.

whole foods = good
    incomplete foods/chemicals = bad

sorry if i am not helping i just really don't understand what data you are looking for/concerns you have :|
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was looking for more studies of positive impact on the health vs negative impact of all the diet variants you listed "some ppl eat dairy, some don't...some ppl eat nuts, some don't...some are hardcore organic/grass-fed/locally grown consumers and some eat what is affordable/readily available...some are low carb/starch and some are not, some count calories, some don't". I wanted to know if I do eat low carb/starch is that good or bad in terms of what happens to my body even thought I might not feel it. If I don't eat nuts is it good or bad, should I eat them??? I was looking for studies proving that eating low carb for example is very good for me in a long run.
    I do understand whole foods vs processed foods, so that's not what I want to know.
    Also, what is considered a healthy fat? Again there is so much confusing info on this everywhere.

Thanks again
    Kathy

Quote Originally Posted by KathyH View Post
    Sorry if I wasn't clear, I was looking for more studies of positive impact on the health vs negative impact of all the diet variants you listed "some ppl eat dairy, some don't...some ppl eat nuts, some don't...some are hardcore organic/grass-fed/locally grown consumers and some eat what is affordable/readily available...some are low carb/starch and some are not, some count calories, some don't". I wanted to know if I do eat low carb/starch is that good or bad in terms of what happens to my body even thought I might not feel it. If I don't eat nuts is it good or bad, should I eat them??? I was looking for studies proving that eating low carb for example is very good for me in a long run.
    I do understand whole foods vs processed foods, so that's not what I want to know.
    Also, what is considered a healthy fat? Again there is so much confusing info on this everywhere.

Thanks again
    Kathy
    none of those things are exclusively paleo/primal, the info is out there....and studies are just that...you could find one study praising the longterm effects of dairy* and another condemning it. (*or any of the "variables", just using dairy as an example)
    everyone has different reasons for the things i listed...but all of the things listed are "allowed"....grains and processed foods are not. (i guarantee you'd be able to find a study praising grains AND processed foods)

I don't eat dairy but that is a personal choice....dairy is not "required"...some ppl don't eat nuts but they are "allowed".

I say re-read The Primal Blueprint and check out the articles that are posted on the main MDA site....if things are still unclear do specific searches ie; 'healthy fat'

jhc
    jhc is offline Senior Member
    Ultimately I think you have to look at the tenets of the Primal Blueprint, namely that eating whole, unprocessed foods as our evolutionary ancestors did is healthy, and then decide what you want to eat from there. Everyone has different opinions, but ultimately the majority of people here have experienced enormous benefits as a result of drastically reducing the amount of grain and sugar eaten.

none of those things are exclusively paleo/primal, the info is out there....and studies are just that...you could find one study praising the longterm effects of dairy* and another condemning it. (*or any of the "variables", just using dairy as an example)
    everyone has different reasons for the things i listed...but all of the things listed are "allowed"....grains and processed foods are not. (i guarantee you'd be able to find a study praising grains AND processed foods)

I don't eat dairy but that is a personal choice....dairy is not "required"...some ppl don't eat nuts but they are "allowed".

I say re-read The Primal Blueprint and check out the articles that are posted on the main MDA site....if things are still unclear do specific searches ie; 'healthy fat'

OK, I am sorry but I still don't understand it. How can I know something is good for me? If studies are just studies then where else can I get reliable info? If grain is not allowed I want to know why, what exactly will happen to my body in 20 years if I eat grain? I don't want to just say Grok didn't eat it therefore it is not good. I mean, I don't have any problems at all so if I stop eating grains for example how will I know that I am better off if I don't have any symptoms.
    I read about who Grok was on this site but I don't know where to get the same kind of meat he was getting. Unfortunately, the only thing that I can do is grow my own vegetables but I can't raise my own meat. I also don't know any hunters that I can get meat from.
    I totally understand and agree about processed foods

Quote Originally Posted by jhc View Post
    Ultimately I think you have to look at the tenets of the Primal Blueprint, namely that eating whole, unprocessed foods as our evolutionary ancestors did is healthy, and then decide what you want to eat from there. Everyone has different opinions, but ultimately the majority of people here have experienced enormous benefits as a result of drastically reducing the amount of grain and sugar eaten.
    Hi jhc,

Like I said before I do understand unprocessed food. I don't know how to decide what to eat because I can't figure out what is good for me or not. Do I just say Grok probably ate it so it must be good? Is every unprocessed food good for me? Should I waste time eating nuts if carrots are much better for me, for example? How do I know? How do I know what kinds of eggs was Grok eating and how many?

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast