Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What benefits have you experienced by adding bone broth to your diet? page

SophieScreams is offline Senior Member

What benefits have you experienced by adding bone broth to your diet?

Shop Now
    I have a fancy new scale that reads percentages of muscle mass, bone density, and useless SAD caloric recommendations. I'm freaked the eff out about my bone density reading, which is a measly 13% for a female my age! Now, given that I know I have risk factors (Caucasian, small frame, family history), I've been working out religiously since I was 17 years old, was active in soccer, cycling, and ballet as a child, and have never been a sedentary person. I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but can handle butter, yogurt, and a little hard cheese.

So, I'm going to try bone broth for calcium supplementation. I'm also hoping to rid my back side of all that nasty-ass cellulite I've been lugging around my entire adult life.

Anyone have a success story to share? How about other benefits you've received since incorporating bone broth into your diet?
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

otzi Guest
    I think this is the same as asking 'have you noticed any benefits to taking a daily multivitamin?' I doubt anyone can pinpoint any benefits derived from bone broth. Anyone who is eating bone broth is undoubtedly eating a healthy diet and getting healthy.

Bone broth will definitely be a good source for calcium and gelatin, both missing from the SAD.
    Good luck!

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    It's a warm liquid so I feel warmer after I drink it. It's my lunch and fills me up with few calories. It's not nutritionally empty so that's a plus. But those are the only benefits I notice.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 210 x 3

jammies is offline Senior Member
    Are you taking vitamin D3 and vitamin K2? Both are critical for bone health.

I made a few changes at the same time I added bone broth, but the big thing I noticed is my hair is growing in like crazy now and my eyelashes are about twice as long as they were before.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Backstory: When I have a nutrient deficiency my hair turns from blond to dirty blond(and then to brown but that hasn't happened since I started eating this way).
    Broth makes me blond.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Misabi is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SophieScreams View Post
    I have a fancy new scale that reads percentages of muscle mass, bone density, and useless SAD caloric recommendations. I'm freaked the eff out about my bone density reading, which is a measly 13% for a female my age! Now, given that I know I have risk factors (Caucasian, small frame, family history), I've been working out religiously since I was 17 years old, was active in soccer, cycling, and ballet as a child, and have never been a sedentary person. I've been lactose intolerant for as long as I can remember, but can handle butter, yogurt, and a little hard cheese.

So, I'm going to try bone broth for calcium supplementation. I'm also hoping to rid my back side of all that nasty-ass cellulite I've been lugging around my entire adult life.

Anyone have a success story to share? How about other benefits you've received since incorporating bone broth into your diet?
    Have you had your bone density professionally checked? I'd be interested in how the pro results compared to those of your scale... And I'd certainly do that if you really are freaked out
    If you're interested in my (very) occasional updates on how I'm working out and what I'm eating click here.

Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

Quote Originally Posted by Misabi View Post
    Have you had your bone density professionally checked? I'd be interested in how the pro results compared to those of your scale... And I'd certainly do that if you really are freaked out
    You're absolutely right. I feel that I should have my bone density checked by a medical professional, but even with my employer's health insurance, I'm going to pay almost entirely out of pocket. Good ol' American health care system...
    So, I'm going to make do with what's accessible to me right now.
    “Your task is not to seek for love, but merely to seek and find all the barriers within yourself that you have built against it.” Rumi

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    It's a warm liquid so I feel warmer after I drink it. It's my lunch and fills me up with few calories. It's not nutritionally empty so that's a plus. But those are the only benefits I notice.
    I drank some last night before bed, thinking that it would help me sleep. Nope. Quite the opposite. BB would probably make a great afternoon pick-me-up though!

Some of these other perks sound very interesting! Beauty Broth, anyone?

meeshar is online now Senior Member
    Have you been on birth control (particularly progesterone-only)? Recent studies are showing that hormonal birth control is linked to bone loss.

Quote Originally Posted by meeshar View Post
    Have you been on birth control (particularly progesterone-only)? Recent studies are showing that hormonal birth control is linked to bone loss.
    Yes, actually. My doc's switching me to another type, since mine's become quite controversial. I'd like to go without hormones, but I suffer particular allergies. It's hormones or a monthly gamble for me.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast