Thread: What have been your BAD experiences on Paleo, if any? page

Primal Fuel

Was it hard to adjust in the beginning? Were you "scared" of all the fat?

I just want to have a head's up on what I could expect that may be negative................

enriquegp is offline Junior Member

Well because my LDL, my doctor and my family really busted my chops, thinking I was going to drop dead at any moment. Mind you everything was perfect and my LDL was a little high because of the Friedewald equation. (http://www.fathead-movie.com/index.p...-some-bologna/)

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

For me it hasn't been hard at ALL to adjust, other than not being able to find "the good stuff" at local stores (grass fed beef, free range chicken, nitrite free bacon, unsweetened coconut, coconut flour... none of that is here). I'm settling for "mostly primal" eating at this point. We're moving in a couple months and I'll be sure to find a good source of yummy happy animals then, and possibly get a chest freezer so I can stock up.

The only physical ill-effects I've had have been from eating things with high fructose corn syrup in them, even in VERY small amounts.

One day I went to a recipe swap and tasted everyone's stuff... most of it was ok but I know there was sugar in some recipes, and one of them had a dressing with HFCS.

Afterward, I got the WORST headache and a really painful stomach ache.

Then last night I had a gin and tonic at a party. No idea that tonic water had HFCS in it, but that explains the horrible sleep I got, and the same painful stomach ache as before.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

Conan Guest

Cheat days suck now! I had a medium popcorn with no butter at the movie theater and felt like crap for 2 days, literally. I crave healthy fruits, veggies, and fats like avocados and I feel really crappy when I don't eat enough of them. That's about it. Oh, and I've had to give up some restaurant food that I used to love.

rahchis is offline Junior Member

Same as NavyWife and Conan. Increasingly, I find myself feel completely hideous when I stray from the primal norm. Especially, if I consume grains, sweeteners or dairy (save for butter).

The last time I ate aged cheese, I felt like pure sh!t for almost 24 hours afterward. It's made the cheat days far and fewer between. I guess my body has drastically diminished such cravings since it's learned that they're not worth the subsequent discomfort.

For instance, they ordered about 30 pizza pies at work the other day for an event. And even though, they were traditional, brick-oven ones (the "healthier" kind), the smell of them absolutely revolted me. All it did was remind me of the time months before when I'd had about 3 or 4 slices of the very same and got all bloated, lethargic and foggy-headed to the point that I had to retire for the evening at about 5 and just let my body deal until the next morning (and that wasn't even sleep as my sleep was intermittent that night due to the way I felt.)

grubinski Guest

I passed out at a restaurant immediately after having lunch (Thai curry with no rice) about 4 days into it. Dehydrated or something, plus all the blood probably went to my digestive system, at least that's my theory. Felt bad for about 15 minutes, never an issue since.

Dream Guest

Giving up grain was sort of tough, but beyond that it has been awesome. Constantly introduced to new foods that I would not have tried previously.