Thread: Doing everything right but feel awful...what is going on? page

lowen75 is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Doing everything right but feel awful...what is going on?

Shop Now
    Hi Guys, I've been primal for about 2 months now which is the same time that I decided to get serious about my health. I quit smoking and started following the primal diet. I didn't have a lot of weight to lose except maybe some belly fat from having my 2 kids, but that seems to be going away steadily. My reason for going Primal was really to get my health problems under control. I've had a moderate to severe case of psoriasis for over 25 years and I'm up to my eyeballs with steriod creams and synthetic drugs. I also have psoriatic arthritis, which when left untreated can be debilitating, however, treatment is nothing more that high levels of NSAIDS that wreak havoc on my GI tract. The most concerning health problem that I was trying to correct was severe allergies and chronic bronchitis that have me chained to constant inhaler use and medications. I felt like a slave to these medications and started coming to grips with the idea that without them maybe I cannot sustain my own life.

Well, I did a 180. My husband even went Primal and has lost 13 pounds! My psoriasis has cleared about 90% and my GI problems seem to be moving on. But I've been literally sick for the past month with a sinus infection, bronchial cough, severe allergies, massive eye infection in both eyes, a ruptured eardrum and coughing so bad that I'm throwing up. I'm so sore that I have to pop about 8 advil a day just to get through and I'm so exhausted that I can't do anything. I feel like I'm missing out on life. I'm so depressed. I'm doing everything right but I feel like I'm dying. Why is this happening?

I have gone to the doctor, and he told me that I just have bad allergies and just added another prescription to my daily regimen (exactly the opposite of what I was trying to achieve).

Does anyone have any advice or understand this?

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    So sorry about your problems. Tell us more about what you eat and take. We will try to help
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would wonder what your vitamin D3 levels are? Do you take a supplement?

Also, have you increased your nightshade consumption (tomatoes, potatoes, peppers, eggplant, tomatillos) since going primal? Or eggs or nuts? All of these can be triggers for people with autoimmune disease. Many people with autoimmune disease find a low lectin version of primal helpful.

Finally, I would ask why you are only using NSAIDs to treat your autoimmune disease? They do not prevent joint erosion or systemic inflammation - which is terrible for your long term health. NSAIDs are also terrible for your gut.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Bron is offline Senior Member
    Your body may be healing from smoking? I had a friend who, for about a year after quitting, got very sick every 6 weeks.

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes I understand. I had terrible problems with a weakened immune system and chronic inflammation for years after I quit smoking. I had to fix this by taking raw nicotine (electronic cigarettes) for a while as an anti-inflammatory.

I then got my mercury amalgam fillings replaced by non-toxic ones, started eating a low histamine diet, and went paleo. Six weeks later, for the first time I was able to quit the raw nicotine without the inflammation returning.

So it's a good idea to consider intolerances to foods, as jammies says, plus exposure to various inflammatory environmental toxins.
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

kgoode is offline Junior Member
    At the age of 34 I found out I have multiple food allergies: Wheat, Tomato, Egg, Shellfish and Chocolate! Do you see a consistent reaction to certain foods?