Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Summer body page

Drmike is offline Member

Summer body

Shop Now
    Ok it's March which means its almost summer and bathing suits and shirts off. I would like to lose Between 10 to 15 pounds but would also like to build some muscle and get some definition. I'm in ok shape now not great but not terrible. Should I just use PB fitness plan or go extreme with something like p90x

Ernie is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drmike View Post
    Ok it's March which means its almost summer and bathing suits and shirts off. I would like to lose Between 10 to 15 pounds but would also like to build some muscle and get some definition. I'm in ok shape now not great but not terrible. Should I just use PB fitness plan or go extreme with something like p90x
    You may want to try You are your own gym by Mark Lauren.
    It is a series of body weight exercises that you can do at home in about 30 minutes five days a week. I started doing these workouts about 14 months ago, and my fat was turned into muscle in about 4 months. Good luck with whatever program you end up with!

Drmike is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    It is a series of body weight exercises that you can do at home in about 30 minutes five days a week. I started doing these workouts about 14 months ago, and my fat was turned into muscle in about 4 months. Good luck with whatever program you end up with!
    It's funny that you mention that because I have the book and the iPhone app and have been thinking about starting the program. It makes a lot more sense then p90x. Thanks

Drlove is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Ernie View Post
    About that "fat turning into muscle". That obviously didn't happen, fat tissue does not simply turn into muscle tissue.
    Though I was wondering. I've read quite a few things stating that you can't gain muscle while loosing fat (Gaining muscle requires you to gain weight, whilst loosing fat requires loosing weight, Thus making it impossible to do both at the same time). Though after learning a little about saturated fat and cholesterol, I realized that sometimes you must doubt certain things (Even if you learned them, and they make sense). And because we HAVE seen people gain substantial amounts of muscle mass, while looking like they shed quite a few pounds of fat.. one must wonder if it is possible. Some say it's just lean muscle mass you're gaining, so if you gain decent amounts of muscle with small amounts of fat, your BF % get's lower, thus making you look leaner.

What's your opinion of the matter, after going through such a change?

otzi Guest
    Not sure where you are in the world, but if it's still cold where you are, try working out in the cold. The colder you are, the more your body has to upregulate the metabolism to keep warm. Taking cold showers, using ice packs has the same effect. Worked great for me to shed those last 10lbs this winter.
    Thermogenex - Fuel the Burn has some great info on this technique.

Transmutable is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Drlove View Post
    About that "fat turning into muscle". That obviously didn't happen, fat tissue does not simply turn into muscle tissue.
    Though I was wondering. I've read quite a few things stating that you can't gain muscle while loosing fat (Gaining muscle requires you to gain weight, whilst loosing fat requires loosing weight, Thus making it impossible to do both at the same time). Though after learning a little about saturated fat and cholesterol, I realized that sometimes you must doubt certain things (Even if you learned them, and they make sense). And because we HAVE seen people gain substantial amounts of muscle mass, while looking like they shed quite a few pounds of fat.. one must wonder if it is possible. Some say it's just lean muscle mass you're gaining, so if you gain decent amounts of muscle with small amounts of fat, your BF % get's lower, thus making you look leaner.

What's your opinion of the matter, after going through such a change?
    You're thinking too hard about it.

You can lose fat and gain muscle. The fat does not "turn into" muscle like a caterpillar turns into a butterfly, that is correct. But you can lose fat and replace it with muscle. So, you might not see a change in the number when you get on the scale. Or maybe you'll see the rate of weight loss slow, but clothes are fitting better and you can pick up heavier things. You might even see the scale number go UP!

Gaining muscle doesn't require you to gain weight, you gain weight because you gained muscle.
    Losing fat doesn't require you to lose weight, you lose weight because you lost fat.
    The cause-effect arrows go the other way.

Think more about body composition than the number on the scale.

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transmutable View Post
    Think more about body composition than the number on the scale.
    Yup.

I stayed at 260lbs for 2 months, probably dropped 5% body fat during those 2 months.
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

dado Guest
    Squat.

TCM
    TCM is offline Junior Member
    I have a hot-weather vacation coming up April 18th, and the winter has flown by, so when March 1st came, I was like oops...I've been doing pretty well this winter eating and working out, but have definitely fallen off the bandwagon a few times. I know that to feel really good in my bikini April 18th, first and foremost I need to EAT CLEAN. All the time. Very few cheats. I am also following the primal blueprint fitness plan and I feel good so far. Need to keep at it and get a couple more hours of movement in per week and I think I'll be good to go, along with eating clean.

AlexChaos is offline Member
    For what you want in that short amount of time I would go with P90X. It takes all options out and all you have to do is show up for each workout and push it through.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast