Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: In starting to struggle..... again page

chriswbread is offline Junior Member

I'm starting to struggle..... again

Primal Fuel
    Hi. I previously started to eat primal last year. My wife would buy chocolate and cakes which I found easy to ignore. I would open the cupboard see the junk food and say " no thanks". But then I slowly started to increase my carbs,the odd chocolate here and there, slice of bread , cereal until I gave up and put the weight back on.
    Not defeated I am back to eating primal and have lost a stone again. But I can feel myself starting to slip again. My carb intake is slowly increasing which is making me more hungry. I even ate a whole easter egg the other day. I so want to continueeating primal as I can feel the difference it makes and I want to prove people wrong as I do get a lot of negative comments about my new lifestyle,especially when they say its just another Atkins, that really bugs me.
    So if there is anyone out there who can help me or if you been through the same situation and how you managed to overcome it. That would be great. One option is to go chocolate/cake crazy once a month but I'm not sure that would be wise. P.s I hate dark chocolate.
    Many thanks.
    Last edited by chriswbread; 03-04-2012 at 04:54 AM.

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    The way I see it, you need something to really motivate you. In my case it's health (hormones and joint problems). I have real, tangible health problems that benefit from less indulgences. It would be more difficult, if I were already pretty much healthy and only wanted to make sure I stayed that way. No, I know my problems are influenced greatly by my diet and my body constantly reminds me why I need to eat this way and not cheat. So find what motivates you.

Ocalan is offline Junior Member
    just remember all the horrible things that diabetics have to go through before you eat anything like bread or cake or chocolate all of which cause diabetes

What makes me laugh is that some of my family are overweight and i always tell them you will end up with diabetes, and there's me scoffing down a whole easter egg.
    I think motivation is key to my new lifestyle, I suffer from mild Arthritis in the knee which has more or less gone. But i seem to wait for it to come back before i realize my mistake.
    I have to say this is the 1st time i have posted anything and getting reply's of help and encouragement has given me a boost.

Hilary is offline Senior Member
    Can your wife store her junk food somewhere else? Maybe under lock and key, so you have to go through the humiliation of asking her for the key before you get any? That kind of thing (well, not the key part, but 'out of sight out of mind' plus a little social pressure) works for me.

missblue is offline Senior Member
    You need your own "go to" Primal treat stash. Even if it is things that aren't optimal for Primal but still in the ballpark.

For me it's dried fruit chopped up with cocoa nibs and shredded coconut, with a few nice nuts mixed in.

I feel like I am getting something nice, but I limit my portions and just walk away by using those little snack baggies to control portion size. Not a perfect solution, but better than cake and bread etc. Also that blueberry / heavy cream primal ice cream looks like an excellent cheat--haven't gone there yet but I'm sure I will.

I was thinking of making primal cakes and bars but I know my wife and children will eat them all, but Hilary has a great idea with the lock and key,I could hide my primal treats.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Learn how to hide things. You can hide them in the fridge or freezer. It's like nobody looks behind the first row of stuff or deep inside the door. I can hide all kinds of stuff in there. Mostly I don't hide treats, though. I hide the liver and scary stuff my man will give me grief about.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 190 x 3

PrimalClay is offline Senior Member
    You have to do it for you. Might sound simple but in reality no advice anyone can give or any nifty tricks or ideas are gonna make any difference in your day to day life. You decide what you put in your mouth throughout the day. When you are truly sick of being fat or unhealthy or whatever it is that makes you toy with the idea of being primal that is when you will find the motivation to stick with it. Personally I love food but I love my family more. I have been primal almost 14 months and it is still a daily struggle to not put processed carbs and other sugary crap in my mouth but I get through it one day at a time. You slip up and you just get right back on the band wagon. That is life and life is made of choices. When you choose to be healthy and primal then you will find that will power but it really needs be an all or nothing at least at the start. You just have to find your reason which is in turn your strength.

Best of luck. Find your reason and hold on to it.
    Last edited by PrimalClay; 03-04-2012 at 08:05 AM. Reason: Typo
    Went Primal January 24, 2011
    Lost 105 pounds in 5 months
    Currently 130 fat pounds down which is 120 pounds on the scale while putting on 10 pounds of muscle
    According to my kids I am looking more and more like the Hulk every day

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks primalclay, to find out it`s still a struggle means this will not be easy. But I`m up for the challenge. My next challenge will be arriving shortly. The in laws are visiting so I had to pop to the shops for bread. Cakes and chocolate, and I will not touch any of it. Hopefully.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast