Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Confused about when I should eat my starches page

samiamm is offline Senior Member

Confused about when I should eat my starches

Shop Now
    If i'm only trying to eat significant amounts of carbs (I only get my carbs from sweet potatoes, unless you count the little amounts from tomatoes, broccoli, etc.) on the days that I work out, should I be eating them pre-workout, to fuel my workout, or post workout, to help my body recover easier? I do HIIT training every other day, I used to do heavy resistance weight training every day and do HIIT every other day except sunday, but I found out I was over training, so for about 1-2 weeks, i'm only going to be doing HIIT and then some kind of regular cardio on other days, and abdominals. When is the best time, or when do other athletes on here consume their carbs.

js290 is offline Senior Member
    Workout fuel:
    The oxidation of fatty acids yields significantly more energy per carbon atom than does the oxidation of carbohydrates. The net result of the oxidation of one mole of oleic acid (an 18-carbon fatty acid) will be 146 moles of ATP (2 mole equivalents are used during the activation of the fatty acid), as compared with 114 moles from an equivalent number of glucose carbon atoms.
    Meal timing: BBC iPlayer - Frontiers: Muscle Wastage

js, I do hiit cardio, theres no way im getting through that without carbs. I hate to break it to you, but you are going to need carbs in your body at some point in life, especially if you are active.

Plus as you already know I'm underweight, I need carbs. I can't "Just eat alot fat" it doesn't work for me, it leaves me feeling bloated all day, every day, and that even when i'm STILL supposedly not eating enough

Quote Originally Posted by samiamm View Post
    js, I do hiit cardio, theres no way im getting through that without carbs. I hate to break it to you, but you are going to need carbs in your body at some point in life, especially if you are active.
    Citric acid cycle - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Plus as you already know I'm underweight, I need carbs. I can't "Just eat alot fat" it doesn't work for me, it leaves me feeling bloated all day, every day, and that even when i'm STILL supposedly not eating enough
    Are you trying to gain lean muscle or fat?

lean muscle why on earth would I be trying to gain fat?

lean muscle why on earth would I be trying to gain fat?
    What's the relationship between dietary glucose and lean muscle mass?

Health Correlator: How much dietary protein can you store in muscle? About 15 g/d if you are a gifted bodybuilder
    Health Correlator: Dietary protein does not become body fat if you are on a low carbohydrate diet

jakey is offline Senior Member
    js290, the anaerobic cycle (glycogen), hauls ass (to quote doug mcguff). the aerobic cycle, the one that runs so nicely on fatty acids, is quite a bit slower. in other words, you can hit the wall pretty damn quickly if you don't have enough glycogen to use, and you're trying to run solely on the superior fuel, fat.

i've read a lot of your carb-phobic posts. do you do any serious high intensity exercise? i was able to pull it off for a while, back in my 'ketosis is the only way to live, i'm a fucking inuit master' phase, but ran into problems after a while. perhaps some day, you too will encounter these problems.

I was on a completely low carb diet a while back and I used to go to the gym and do HIIT every other day that I didnt do strength training, so pretty much tues. thurs. sat. sunday was a break. The HIIT I did was running full speed sprints at 30 secs, rest at 30 secs, for 9 intervals. I was able to pull it off, but every day at school the next day I felt like I was dying. I would get home, eat ALOT, feel bloated, go do my HIIT or weight lifting, come home, eat low carb (just like the rest of the day) wake up, go to school, feel dead, come home, repeat. I'm not sure if I felt this way because I wasn't eating enough carbs, or because I was overtraining, either way something wasn't right. I've cut the weight lifting routine out of my diet for now, and I figured I would need the carbs either in my system before to have something to burn off efficiently during the HIIT, or after to be able to recover, or both. I might not need the carbs, who knows, but i'm 6,0 or 5,11 and around 125-135 pounds, probably in the 130s cuz i've been splurging and eating carbs lately, so I can afford a little extra carbs on gym days, at least thats what i figured. I'm just on here trying to get more educated advice.

Fiji is offline Senior Member
    People on this thread seem to suggest post-workout with less fat for post-workout meals http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread45633.html.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast