Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dental surgery page

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

On tuesday I'll be undergoing dental surgery and won't be able to eat solids for a week.

Help me come up with lots of tasty primal soups and other treats, as I'm drawing a blank. Most of my soups have lots of stuff in them, and would be like gross meat porriage if I just threw it into the food processor.

I was thinking of buying some protein powder to make smoothies with too. Any suggestions on the best kind/type/brand?

So far I have:

french onion soup type broth (so pretty much nice oniony beef broth)

ginger garlic asian style chicken broth

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

what are you having done? I ate a lot of soft scrambled eggs after my wisdom teeth were removed. But I don't know if you'll be able to move your jaw at all (depending on what you have done) - do you require just liquids or are soft foods ok?

there is a recipe on allrecipes.com for a blended leek/cauliflower soup that sounds pretty good to me, or the roasted red pepper soup on my website.

hope other people have more suggestions for you too - those are just off the top of my head.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

I love your blog, so I'll defintely check out the roasted red pepper soup.

I think only liquids, no chewing allowed. They are actually restructuring my jaw, as well as removing some gum from one area. Ugh. Not fun. Definitely I'm a poster child for WAPF what not to do to your kids! lol I've actually been able to watch my face widen with all of this dental treatment! They widened my upper pallette (ouch!) and for a month I had a tiny space going all the way down my forhead and nose. It was wild. When I look at pictures from before, my face and teeth look so cramped and un-natural.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

CJ4400 is offline Member

How about tasty smoothies? You can try many variations between fruits and even avocados!

(1) 1/2 or whole avocado, coconut milk, whey protein, water, ice

(2) blueberries, banana, coconut milk, water, ice

(3) banana, almond butter, almond milk, water, ice

These are just simple examples but there are tons of yummy things you can make! Good luck with the surgery.

lesliek is offline Member

If you eat dairy, Apple-Brie soup: http://www.cyber-kitchen.com/ubbs/ar...Brie_Soup.html

hannahc is offline Senior Member

Oh Avocado was a great idea, that should help with the fat consumption for sure. And when you blend it up it doesn't even have a strong flavor anymore, so you could probably add avocado to just about anything to give your meals a little more oomph.

You are what you eat,
    and what you eat eats too - Michael Pollan

mayness is offline Senior Member

I made this recipe (from The Joy of Cooking) before going primal, but it's pretty reasonable. You could leave out the orange juice (I don't think it made a big difference - maybe add a little lemon juice?), and if you replaced the milk/cream with coconut milk, I bet it would taste 1000X better. I need to try that...

http://www.recipezaar.com/cream-of-carrot-soup-409379

"mayness, you need to have a siggy line that says "Paleo Information Desk" or something!" -FMN <3

I'm blogging again, at least a little bit.

TriCiCi is offline Senior Member

This is a pretty carby soup, but it is super tasty, easy to make, technically Primal, and one of my favorites:

Squash, Carrot & Walnut Soup

1 Medium to Large sized Butternut Squash, peeled, seeds removed, and sliced.

1 lb Carrots, peeled and sliced.

1 Large Yellow Onion, sliced

C Chopped Walnuts

4T Butter (or a whole stick to get more fat in you)

4-6 Cups Chicken Stock

Salt & Pepper to taste

C Heavy Cream (optional)

In a large stockpot, melt butter over medium-high heat. Add onion and saut until just soft. Add squash, carrots, walnuts, and stock. Bring to a boil, then simmer until vegetables are very tender. About 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.

Transfer soup to a blender in small batches* and puree until smooth.

*NOTE: Too much hot soup in the blender at one time is dangerous. Blend in small batches and transfer to a new pot or serving bowl. Nobody wants to be burned by exploding hot soup.

Once all has been pureed, stir in cream (if desired), salt & pepper to taste, and garnish with fresh parsley, or a dollop of sage pesto. Yum.

sbhar is offline Junior Member

1 can coconut milk

1 can pumpkin puree

1 can chicken broth

Simmer 15 to 20 minutes with seasoning of choice.

PrimalWannabeGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

Saute onions, garlic and ginger and chili paste (or anything hot) in coconut oil until soft. Boil a pound of root vegetables---I like rutabaga, sweet potatoes, and carrots---until soft.

Add 1 cup of chicken broth and 1 cup of coconut milk and puree until smooth. Salt to taste.

Also, if you put enough fat in it and thin it with a little chicken broth, you could probably swallow a very smooth chicken liver pate, which would be wonderful for recovery.

Sooze

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast