Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone Else Have Too Long Legs For Doing Squats? page

ozbuckley is offline Senior Member

Anyone Else Have Too Long Legs For Doing Squats?

Primal Fuel
    Hi Guys,

Wondering if anyone out there is like me... their legs are too long to get the best out of squats?

I find I never gained alot of strength with squatting. I have found it much effecient for me to be doing legs via leg press machines.

How have you guys accomodated for squats not able to give you the strength and size? ..what exercises did you replace them with?

cheers

oz

federkeil is offline Senior Member
    uhm.... I'm going to have to first ask you two questions.

1) How tall are you?

2) What is your inseam?
    I didn't like the rules you gave me, so I made some of my own.

Strong people are harder to kill than weak people, and more useful in general. - Mark Rippetoe

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley View Post
    Wondering if anyone out there is like me... their legs are too long to get the best out of squats?
    I could be mistaken, but wouldn't the physics of the fulcrum mean that it would take more force to do squats with longer legs? Shouldn't that translate into greater strength gains with lower weight? Is it really a balance issue?

JHen is offline Member
    For the love of god don't do leg presses. Squats are not just a leg exercise, they are a full body exercise. They will work your back, your arms, everything, if you do them right. Don't do any machines for your core workout (any at all really). You will leave out all of the stabilizer muscles which will come in handy when you might try to apply your strength outside of the gym. Without strong stabilizer muscles, you are inviting injury as you could easily overload them while not coming close to overloading your main muscles that get all the work in the machine lifts. As far as replacing a squat, can't happen. Squats are probably the best lift you can do for overall strength. Just suck it up, beat your ego down, and do some squats.

dado Guest
    I'm tall and have long legs, and the squat is my best lift and my favorite lift.

I've heard that my body type isn't ideal for squats, that a shorter, stockier frame is better suited, but that never stopped me from squatting.

Jett Airliner is offline Junior Member
    I have a 36 inch inseam.

I still do squats.

Owly is offline Senior Member
    There are 6'6" men at my gym who do deep, heavy barbell squats well below parallel. I doubt your legs are too long.

You probably think you're getting stronger on the machine because you can push more weight there than you can lift on a barbell, but trust me, barbell squats are going to make you actually stronger than machine presses by far. The increased weight moved is because of the mechanical advantage of the machine.
    “If I didn't define myself for myself, I would be crunched into other people's fantasies for me and eaten alive.” --Audre Lorde

Owly's Journal

Jerseyjim is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JHen View Post
    ...Just suck it up, beat your ego down, and do some squats.
    This. Do moar squatz.

StackingPlates is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ozbuckley
    ... their legs are too long to get the best out of squats?
    I actually "LOL'd".

I have found it much efficient for me to be doing legs via leg press machines.
    I "LOL'd" again. Reminds me of folks who like decline bench presses.

How have you guys accomodated for squats not able to give you the strength and size? ..what exercises did you replace them with?
    There is no replacement, learn how to squat properly.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I have a 34-36 inch inseam. I was pretty awkward at first, but with some patience and fine coaching I have excellent technique now and I feel good under a heavy load. A huge turning point for me was switching to the low bar back squat. Much more comfortable.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast