Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Introduction and Request for Advice, Please... page

kpdoula is offline Junior Member

Introduction and Request for Advice, Please...

Primal Fuel
    Howdy,

My name is Kerri and I live in Western North Carolina. I've been "doing" Primal for two weeks. I've read Mark's book and scoured the forum religiously over the last fortnight. I am 37, 5'5" and 184 lbs. My goal weight is 140. I weighed myself today and found that I weigh exactly as much as I did two weeks ago when I started. I've read so many posts about "destroying your scale" and really don't want to focus too much on the numbers but I have to say I'm a bit disappointed.

A sample of what I'm eating is as follow:

Breakfast - "breakfast salad" - three strips bacon, two eggs, and 1/2 avocado over arugala with fresh lemon juice. Sometimes I throw in toasted pecans.
    Lunch - Another salad and some protein - like steak, salmon, etc. OR Lettuce and lunch meat wraps with mustard.
    Dinner - Much the same as lunch - or two sausage or all-natural beef hot dogs with sauerkraut. I do regularly drink 1 to 2 glasses of dry red wine, but not everyday.

I have three kids, a small farm and a small business so I don't have a ton of time for food preperation.

Over the past couple of days I've started using more coconut oil.

Anyone have any ideas as to how I can get that scale moving? I've promised myself not to be an obsessive weigher and it took a lot of willpower to wait two weeks to weigh. Should I just ignore it, as others have suggested, and power through?

I've also found that my energy has been zapped over the past two weeks which is very hard for me with all I have going on. I'm DEAD after 8:00pm which is very unlike me.

Thanks for any and all advice you can send my way. I'm so grateful to be here.

Kerri

lordgrover is offline Member
    You've mentioned your diet, but not your exercise or play/rest... are you getting enough of these?

Thanks for your reply. I'm pretty sure I get enough rest...at least 8 hours per night. As far as exercise - I have a small farm. By the time I'm done doing chores, lifting, weeding, gardening, hauling, etc, etc - I really don't have energy for more "exercise".

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    You are 44 pounds overweight. It probably took years to get to that point. In that process, you have caused damage to your body, which needs to heal before your body can do anything else.

Primal is not a weight-loss plan, it's a health plan. Losing weight is just one aspect of that for some people, but health comes first. Give your body some time to adjust and heal.

If you are tired, sleep more. Healing takes a lot from your body. Rest will help that process.

Finally, your food looks pretty good, so I just have some questions:
    -Check the ingredients on your lunch meat and your "all-natural" hot dogs.
    -When you say "salad" how much of which vegetables are you eating?
    -Some people don't do well with really low carbs, so you might need to get some sweet potatoes or something.

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I would ditch the processed meats - substitute in fresh pork belly or a beef patty. I would also add in some berries and a little fruit. Primal doesn't have to be low carb.

Make sure you are drinking lots of water and using some sea salt too.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Thanks for your comments. You are totally right. My body is probably busy healing right now from years of nutritional abuse. I just get really excited when I see some of the pictures and hear the stories on this site. Makes me feel impatient, I guess.

As far lunch meat and hot dogs go - I'm know it's not optimal. I try to buy nitrate-free products but sometimes I can't/don't. Salads consist of a little spring mix, arugala, onion, spinach, egg, avacado and meat. I'll also throw in other veggies I have on hand like tomatoes and broccoli.

Maybe I'll try a little sweet potato...not my favorite but slathered with butter I bit it's great.

Thanks again for your time and comments.

Kerri

Thanks for you comments. I know I'm going to have to ditch the processed meats sooner than later. My life is just so hectic sometimes that I reach for easy stuff.
    I often eat half an apple with a protein for a snack. I know berries are great for Primal eaters but, believe it or not, I can't stand them unless they're in a pie, LOL.
    I'm sure I could use more water.

Sandra in BC is offline Senior Member
    Patience. And a measuring tape I don't weigh myself but I do know that in 4 months I am down a pants size and a bra size. I noticed zero weight/fat loss in the first 2 weeks.

I ditched wheat, corn, soy, HFCS and seed oils when cooking at home (less obsessive when I eat out). I eat plenty of meat, eggs, butter, fish, bacon, leafy veggies, roasted veggies, raw veggies, a little fruit, a little nuts, a little potato, lots of avocado, a bit of honey every day. I eat a little plain yogurt or cheese most days, and some rice now and then. I eat when I'm hungry, and IF naturally most days for 15-17 hours. I try not to think in terms of 'meals' and 'snacks', and think of it as 'eating opportunities'. Some are hearty, some are tiny, depending on how much it takes to satisfy me.

'Busy' isn't a good enough excuse not to eat right. Everyone is busy in their own way. I think good eating deserves more attention than our grab-n-go modern society gives it A little pre-planning will save a ton of time over a week. Most of my breakfast/lunch meals are leftovers, or some kind of protein tossed into a quick salad.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandra in BC View Post
    Patience. And a measuring tape I don't weigh myself but I do know that in 4 months I am down a pants size and a bra size. I noticed zero weight/fat loss in the first 2 weeks.
    Ditto. I have lost 2 sizes+ on the bottom & 1+ on the top in 6 months, yet I have lost just 14kgs. I have another 36 to go! But I have lost 80.5cm (32.2" - 11" off my fat hips alone!) so ditch those scales and get out the tape measure.
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

Alaska Ang is offline Senior Member
    I totally agree about patience and also sometimes you can lose inches without losing weight. In the last 30 days, I lost a half a pound. Not much when I've cut out all grains, dairy, eggs, nightshades, and nuts. I was a bit discouraged until I measured. And wow... I've lost three and a half inches from my waist. Seems crazy, I can't quite wrap my head around the how that happened, but I'm ecstatic none the less. Also tried on pants this morning that are a size smaller and while not completely comfy, they fit.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast