Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Kids, teens, children, fussy eaters and the primal blueprint page 2

bionicsamm is offline Senior Member
    If she's been this way forever, it's not an eating disorder. The OP stated her daughter was like that from breast onwards and that her husband is like that also. It's a learned behavior and should have been stopped ages ago. Now that you're at the point you are, the best you can do is to buy appropriate foods and get rid of the bad ones. Let her learn to eat.

fastjane is offline Junior Member
    thank you

she recently did an experiment at school and was labelled a super taster, whats everyone know about this?

Jane

She is not on the spectrum. She will eat large meals of junk food, but realises that it makes her feel sick, and knows its not good for her. She's very thin, but then again so is her father, and her aunts. She eats plenty of bland carby food, and she knows that I believe carbs make you fat, so I highly doubt she is happy to stuff herself on carbs if she's anorexic or has some disorder. I have a "diet group" and my girls have lost 150kg in about 12 weeks, so she's very excited about them losing weight, and can see that cutting carbs causes weight loss... that is why I do not believe she has an mental issue about food. She literally gags when she eats anything fatty, and cannot stand the idea of meat in her mouth. Her father has similar feelings about meat. He would chose to eat a mass produced sausage over a good steak at a family bbq because he didnt like the feel of the steak.
    Not sure what else to tell you good people to help me sort her out.

Yes she's a super taster I believe... she did a thing at school with something on the tongue. I have put her on a protein shake, but she says it makes her feel a bit sick, so I halved the amt of fluid to get it into her, and this has helped a bit, but getting a teen to drink a milkshake every day is hard work....

I was putting raw egg in it, but she claimed she could taste it and it made her gag, so she's not doing the raw egg now. She also gags with toothpaste, so do I and so did my mother, and it's not the toothbrush down the throat thing, its a definite aversion to toothpaste taste, although we all eat mints...

I will look into GAPS.

Thanks

Jane

zoebird is offline Senior Member
    Super tasters are exactly what the word says -- they have very sensitive palates. They can basically taste everything, which tends to make them very picky eaters overall.

I think that the main thing is to find foods that she likes, as well as fats that she likes. Does she do well with butter? how is she with dairy overall? what sorts of foods does she like (that are also primal)?

Her diet will likely be very bland. A friend of mind is a (54 yo) super taster and she pretty much eats the most basic meals every day. She will eat a lot of sweet potatoes, root vegetables, and other veggies, but no night shades, no fungus, etc. Her yogurt has to be made at a certain farm or she won't have it. She likes mild cheeses, not strong cheeses.

I think primal vegetarianism might be an option for her if she will eat cooked eggs, veggies, and fruit, some nuts and seeds. And butter, coconut oil, etc. Might be no problem at all.
    Last edited by zoebird; 05-07-2012 at 05:38 AM.

teach2183 is offline Senior Member
    Try to work with her. Have you done boiled chicken, steamed veggies, other bland food? Can you take her to the store with you and go in the produce section to she what she likes? Try to help teach her how to cook her own healthy food, maybe she;d eat more. It does sound like she has a sensory disorder that should have been dealt with a long time ago, did she have any language delays as a child? Perhaps there is a physical therapist that could still help at this age.

billp is offline Senior Member
    Sounds a lot like me growing up. Mostly I just ate egg noodles or brown pasta with margarine, and porridge with Golden Syrup, plus milk and lots of fruit, raw veg and brown bread with peanut butter. It took me until the age of six to get to like rice and ten to get to like butter. At fourteen things started to change, when I got to like pizza in moderation and started trying new things, like cooked veg. I discovered bacon at 17, then hard boiled eggs at 19, along with steak and then fried eggs. By the time I was twenty the dam broke and I only didn't like potatoes and tomatoes. Then I started to like a small amount of boiled potatoes occasionally only if they were new and not floury, and chips from chip shops. Today I still don't chose to eat tomatoes very often and I have just in the last few months got to like chips from choice, again only if I make them with new potatoes, peel them and fry them in tallow - and that was after getting to like sweet potatoes first, something I had never eaten before joining this forum.

So maybe it is not so unusual. Unless your daughter is actually making herself ill, I'd leave well alone. I think people grow out of these things. Some kids are just strange about food.

Debdoub is offline Member
    I "love" the folks that are advocating that you force her to do what you want her to do. Do they have kids? How has this worked for them so far?
    I have two teenage daughters, both decent eaters but certainly very different from each other and from me on the what, how much and when. Other than making sure they have mostly healthy choices, I've pushed very little. Used to love broc, now hate it? Great, why don't you try some snow peas? Heck, I am still adding new foods and I'm 49!
    My goal is not to control my kids but to have them learn and experience things, with as much guidance as they'll tolerate. I think the advice on having her help shop, help prepare meals and making sure you support her choices will go a long way.
    Super-tasters are certainly not made from learned behavior so my guess is she is doing the best she can right now and with help, will do only better.

EvansMom is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps start by retraining the way she thinks about food & herself? Find teen savvy websites and rolemodels that eat real foods and direct her there. Remove all magazines/tv/ads with negative body image messages in them. Spend some time with her that isn't focused around food but concentrates on her & her wellbeing. Do mother daughter things often.

Then Get a cookbook with pictures, and have her help pick out some things to try. Slowly, decrease the amount of processed foods she eats, and the amount of it in your house. Talk to her about choosing real whole foods. But don't make this a huge focus, or she will pull back forcefully and do the opposite of what you want, if she is anything like other teenage girls I know (and once was!). The keywords are slowly and carefully, so as not to cause any sudden movement in the opposite direction!

mom5booklover is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by fastjane View Post
    She is not on the spectrum. She will eat large meals of junk food, but realises that it makes her feel sick, and knows its not good for her. She's very thin, but then again so is her father, and her aunts. She eats plenty of bland carby food, and she knows that I believe carbs make you fat, so I highly doubt she is happy to stuff herself on carbs if she's anorexic or has some disorder. I have a "diet group" and my girls have lost 150kg in about 12 weeks, so she's very excited about them losing weight, and can see that cutting carbs causes weight loss... that is why I do not believe she has an mental issue about food. She literally gags when she eats anything fatty, and cannot stand the idea of meat in her mouth. Her father has similar feelings about meat. He would chose to eat a mass produced sausage over a good steak at a family bbq because he didnt like the feel of the steak.
    Not sure what else to tell you good people to help me sort her out.
    I was just discussing this very issue with my 14 year old daughter who sounds very similar to yours. I worry for her as well as she eats nothing but bread and noodles. She sees me living a Primal life and I know she sees the changes in me (though no weight loss). I am much happier, well rested, less puffy, etc.... Here's the kicker. She is exactly like me. I hate meat......I know crazy huh. I hate the way it feels in my mouth. The stringness, the chewyness etc. I hate fish....the possiblity of getting one little bone makes me gag(tons of mustard goes a long way). I hate fat.....its crazy but absolutely true. I have wished since I was a small child that I liked meat. It would have made dinners alot easier and less time consuming. Since I would somedays sit there for 2 to 3 hours. Until my parents finally either made me gag the meat down or gave in and threw it away. I think weather it is mental or physical it is real. I realize meat is good for me but I detest it. The only time I wanted to eat meat was when I was pregnant. I craved steak, hamburger, etc which was amazing and quite enjoyable for someone like me. Which makes me think it is more of a hormonal issue rather than mental. Who knows....

The only reason I am here on this site and living this lifestyle is because when I hit about 34 I gained 20 lbs and have struggled through just about every kind of "health" plan out there. After going gluten free for over 1 year and despite noticible changes in my health the weight still wouldn't budge so I decided to search a little further outside my comfort zone. Somehow I landed here on MDA A light went off in my head and I decided to see if eating meat and low carb (which was the opposite of what my body wanted) would help me achive my goal.
    Unfortunatly so far nothing has made that weight budge not even Primal. But the benefits out weigh the "torture." I am finding that eggs are helpfull when I just can't get the meat down. I try to eat at least two meat products a day but some days I just can't so I eat eggs and sometimes a good protein powder. I wish that I was losing so that my daughter would see how beneficial it is to drop gluten. I fear that the benefits I am experiencing are not personal enough for her as she is much to young to experience the fatigue, puffiness, and achy joints that I was with my carby diet.

I don't know if this is any comfort to you but I know how you feel. I guess just make sure she knows the facts about Primal Living. Maybe eventually she will choose it on her own. That's what I am doing with my daughter. She has even admitted to wanting to eat Primal but the thought of eating meat makes her gag. I know how she feels and I know pushing her won't make it happen.
    Oh and by the way......withholding food won't work. My parents would not let me eat anything else until I ate my meat, I could have not eaten for days just to escape the torture of chewing and swollowing the meat on my plate.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast