Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Rather new to this. page

Euphoric is offline Senior Member

Rather new to this.

Shop Now
    Physical activity, that is. Though not proudly, I can claim to live a sedentary lifestyle. I have been for pretty much forever. Since about high school (perhaps just a bit earlier), I've been the sort to sit and do nothing. The most exercise I got after getting home from school was just typing at the keyboard. Today (relatively) is no different. Wake up, take the dogs out, set up breakfast, then sit at the computer until I have to get up (usually angrily). Then I go to bed.

All of that aside, having gone from 380 to 350 is quite the feat, I have a long way to go. I have zero control over everything that goes into this house as far as food goes, I'm trying to get at least this part The one thing I have total control over right now is what I do physically, and what I am comfortable with IF when a meal isn't up to code.

So! If at all possible, is there anything I can do, with just normal household items? I'm not capable of pull ups right now, with weak arms and a lot to lift, it's just not feasible right now. Any suggestions would be great. I'm slowly working into pushups, I'm sure there's other things I can be trying as well.

jfreaksho is offline Senior Member
    Look at the Convict Conditioning Level 1 videos on Youtube. These start out at a really easy level.

Thanks! Will look into it. I suppose I just start at level one on everything, then just work my way up after the first level becomes too easy?

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    At least in the beginning, exercise bands are helpful. You can do quite a bit and adjust as you improve. Also, planks are equipment free.

I was checking out yoga videos, and I'm super active, so I thought "How hard can this be?" Yeah, it was rough. Netflix has a bunch, including the one I was trying to follow, which was Amazon.com: Crunch - Candlelight Yoga: Sara Ivanhoe: Movies & TV.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Quote Originally Posted by RitaRose View Post
    At least in the beginning, exercise bands are helpful. You can do quite a bit and adjust as you improve. Also, planks are equipment free.

I was checking out yoga videos, and I'm super active, so I thought "How hard can this be?" Yeah, it was rough. Netflix has a bunch, including the one I was trying to follow, which was Amazon.com: Crunch - Candlelight Yoga: Sara Ivanhoe: Movies & TV.
    At least for now, I'll have to stick to whatever I can use that's around the house. No income of my own yet. So anything that requires money just isn't an option. Hence also why I'm focusing on the physical part of it (as much as possible with the rest). I will keep it in mind though, thanks.

dado Guest
    Euphoric, outside of giving you specific advice on what you should do, lift, and so on, I want to address the other side of this coin.

You are new to physical activity which tells me that you don't see yourself as someone that is athletic, active, etc.,;

The first thing you must do is start to see yourself as 'one of those' people; one of those people that moves, that enjoys moving around, enjoys lifting things, because you ARE one of those people. EVERYONE is MADE to be active. I want you to get that into your head: you are an active human being, it's where you 'belong'.

Aye, I know. Thanks for the reminder though. I'm sure that might pop up sometime or another. If only limited, I'm still an active person by default. Even if I'm the reason for said limitation (if only mentally).

dado Guest
    Yea.

For me, I had to cross the mental hurdle when I started squatting. I was always a weak little bitch and it took some time, and a lot of effort, to reshape the way I view myself; I had to become 'one of those' guys that lifts weights.

I'm already starting to see results with what I have been doing. I'm sure once it's ongoing, it'll be more than enough motivation to keep with that.

Speaking of weights, I have a really heavy box. Until I get too strong for it to be considered too heavy, would I be able to somehow incorporate that with LHT?

dado Guest
    Yes and no. It depends on the box geometry and if you are able to lift it with safe form.

If it's unwieldy, I would say no, because you don't want to injure yourself.

But if you can get it up without risking injury, then of course, it can work.

As long as the weight is outside your comfort zone, heavier than what you are used to lifting, then this is absolutely Lifting Heavy Things.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast