Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 4 month Primal and weight loss is SLOW!!! page

tomi is online now Senior Member

4 month Primal and weight loss is SLOW!!!

Primal Fuel
    Hey --- looking for some help here.......... Background: Female, 51 years old. I started eating Primal the end of October 2011 because I read this way of eating is a good way to treat the symptoms of fibromyalgia. I was diagnosed in Jan of 2002, and my health was a steady spiral downward for the next 10 years. I gained weight like crazy! In 2001 I weighed 140 pounds, @ 5'3" - I wasn't terribly thin, but was a size 10 and was pretty happy with that. By 2008 I had gained up to 215! UGH! I did Medifast and lost 50 pounds, only to regain 40 within the first 3 months of eating the SAD again. In the fall of 2011 I found the Paleo/Primal philosophy and decided to give a shot. Within 3 days I was feeling pretty darn good! I started walking and lift weights (bow flex), and I couldn't believe I had my life back! My huband and I have even started some light hiking, and will soon be bicyling soon as the Oregon weather permits.

I'm eating 90% primal, with the occasional slurges of rum and diet coke on the weekends. Thats really my only cheat, except for Super Bowl weekend - we had a taco bar - and I paid for it the next day with much pain and fatigue! I learned my lesson.

Here's my typical daily diet: Around 10:30 am, I have Breakfast: 2 eggs cooked in butter or bacon grease. 2 slices of thick cut bacon, OR an ounce of home smoked salmon. I don't eat again until dinner around 7 pm. Dinner is always grass fed beef, chicken (although not free range), or salmon (given to us by our wonderful fishermen customers - we own a boat repair shop), with steamed veggies or a BAS or once or twice a month I'll have a sweet potato with butter and just a little brown sugar (my weakness). Sometimes I'll make stirfry veggies or an acorn squash. My "treat" once or twice a week will be a couple squares of 72% dark chocolate. I can't seem to get used to the higher percentage bars. Once or twice or month I'll have all natural ice cream, usually less than a cup at a time. My non-primal foods would be commercial salad dressings or ketchup and the diet coke and rum - which I KNOW is not good for me.

My calories are averaging 1200 with the percentages being about 20% carbs, 30% protein, and 50% fats. I'm walking between 2 and 3 miles a day - 1/2 in the morning and 1/2 in the evening. I don't lift a lot, and I probably should make that a regular part of my schedule.

I lost 14 pounds in the first couple months - and since the beginning of January have been bouncing up and down the same 4 pounds. Today I'm 190. My goal is to be back down to 140.

Any idea's on what I can do to get this body burning fat and getting lean and mean???? I'm already feeling unbelievably better since changing my diet - but I NEED to lose weight as well.

One side note: I've had very high cholesterol since I was 30 years old. On a low fat diet, and weighing 140 pounds, my total cholesterol will run at nearly 300 with triglycerides in the high 200's unless I'm on meds. The statins don't help the fibromyalgia symptoms - so with the blessings of my doctor, I went off my meds after being 2 months primal - I just had my labs done this week and I'm not at all happy with the results. Total cholesterol is still 270, HDL is good, but LDL is high - the only good part is Triglycerides are down to 88! WooHoo! But, she wants to see me and go over the results. I'm afraid she will want me back on the statins.

Any advice????? I'm open to any and all ways to tweak my efforts to get this right and get lean and healthy! Thanks..........

cantat is offline Senior Member
    I haven't been doing this long enough to feel like I can offer any advice about what you might change, but I did want say that I've made the HFCS-free ketchup from one of the cook books (I forget which one, as I have both, but I think it was PB Quick and Easy Meals), and it was really, really good. I guess it didn't taste exactly like ketchup; I would say the texture was a little different, and it wasn't as sweet (which I liked!). It hung around in my fridge for a long time since I don't use ketchup very often and it was fine, I kept it in a mason jar. So consider making some!

Syd
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

Thanks for the replies. I do track everything I eat - I'm a bit anal about it I guess. I keep track of total calories, carbs, fats and proteins, and even calculate the percentages each day.

Sihana - You're right -- I need to cut the diet soda, even though its only on the weekends - and the splurges of potatos and ice cream I'm sure are enough to cause the hault in weight loss. I already knew it - but maybe I just - needed an unbiased voice to tell me so! I'm going to do what you suggest and see what happens over the next few weeks. As for exercise - I'm doing what I can for now. Walking 2-3 miles a day is a big accomplishment from where I started. The fibromyalgia puts a few hurdles in front of me - but I'm working on jumping them. Right now its walking and light weights. Today we are buying new bicycles, and as the weather improves we will be starting some easy day hikes in the beautiful Oregon wilderness! I'm working up to it as my body adjusts.

Anyone else? I'm open for suggestions..........

touchdowntodd is offline Senior Member
    imho u answer your own question in revealing that you cheat occasionally ..

100% and play with eating times, the weight will come off
    started at 310 July 23rd 2011 ... workin and workin!

my journal - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread34980.html

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    It's probably the rum. You might have to ditch the alcohol. Even if you take those calories into account, alcohol has its own way of inhibiting weight loss despite allowing for its calorie content. Even 1 drink a week can mess it all up according to this article (and others I've read). Get your weight off first then add a little bit of rum back in now and then.
    As Little As One Drink Of Alcohol A Week Can Significantly Reduce Fat Loss | Naturally Intense High Intensity Personal Training

cori93437 is offline Senior Member
    Patience grasshopper...
    Ever hear the old adage "Slow and steady wins the race"?

Fast weight loss is the type MOST likely to be regained.

The advice here is good for stalls... but stress isn't.
    “You have your way. I have my way. As for the right way, the correct way, and the only way, it does not exist.”
    ~Friedrich Nietzsche
    And that's why I'm here eating HFLC Primal/Paleo.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cori93437 View Post
    Patience grasshopper...
    Ever hear the old adage "Slow and steady wins the race"?

Fast weight loss is the type MOST likely to be regained.

The advice here is good for stalls... but stress isn't.

+1
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Not to worry, Sihana No apologies necessary. I have to laugh at your "until the rivers warm up" comment. Thats funny! In Oregon the river waters NEVER warm up - unless 45-50 degrees is considered warm

PrimalCon New York
    Update! I've taken some great advice from you all! I've cut out the bacon and eggs and the rum........... added in more exercise in the way of bicycling (bought a new one! - her name is Bubbles) and have tweaked my balance of macronutrients to 80 grams each. Its working.......... cuz I'm down 6 pounds in 9 days. I'm so excited! I'm off track on my goal to be 140 by my birthday in July......... but I'm okay with it...... slow and steady wins the race! Just wanted to say thanks for all the encouragement and advice.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast