Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567

Thread: HEART DISEASE, CHOLESTEROL and DIABETES Risk Caused by Going Primal? page 7

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    It sounds like you got a form email. My SO gets those due to his cholesterol. He is 6'3, 175... and a vegetarian, who eats pretty low fat. He too has been told to cut out animal fats numerous times. LOL, he won't even have a bite of my bacon.

Never mind how much beer he drinks... he just needs to cut that animal fat out of the diet to fix his cholesterol, It's pretty funny....For reference- a typical day for him is - kashi, almondmilk (unsweet), a curry (he loves a lentil curry) with rice, a few beers, fish and whatever veggies I'm having, a few more beers, some hummus and whole grain crackers. I don't quite see the animal fats in that diet....maybe the fish?

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    It sounds like you got a form email. My SO gets those due to his cholesterol. He is 6'3, 175... and a vegetarian, who eats pretty low fat. He too has been told to cut out animal fats numerous times. LOL, he won't even have a bite of my bacon.

Never mind how much beer he drinks... he just needs to cut that animal fat out of the diet to fix his cholesterol, It's pretty funny....For reference- a typical day for him is - kashi, almondmilk (unsweet), a curry (he loves a lentil curry) with rice, a few beers, fish and whatever veggies I'm having, a few more beers, some hummus and whole grain crackers. I don't quite see the animal fats in that diet....maybe the fish?
    Wow, that is really funny. From this, it sounds like an anorexic patient with high cholesterol would also be advised to cut out animal fats.

tim_1522 is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    My blood test results below:
    • Cholesterol:243
    • Triglyceride:44
    • HDL:78
    • Low density lipoprotein calculated:156
    JMJ, I'd KILL for Cholesterol numbers that good!

Ignore TC as there's basically no correlation between TC and heart health. The real "money" numbers in a lipid panel when it comes to heart health are Tri's (want them to be low) and HDL (want them to be high) and both of those are OFF THE CHARTS good numbers. The LDL number is bogus for two reasons: 1) It's not a a measured number, it's calculated based on the other numbers and if your Tri's are low (like yours are) the calculation will show a false high number 2) It does not measure the Pattern A/Pattern B profile of the LDL. Much like TC doesn't tell you much without the other numbers, the LDL number doesn't tell you much unless you know if it's Pattern A or Pattern B. You want high Pattern A and low Pattern B.

Personally, the other numbers are so damn good, I wouldn't worry about the LDL number. But if you want some additional peace of mind, insist on getting a lipid panel which actually MEASURES the LDL and also provides the Pattern A/Pattern B profile.
    Re-focusing on the Primal Lifestyle in 2012!

Starting: 221.0lb, 29.5% BF (1/9/2012)
    Latest: 208.9, 26.1% BF (3/19/2012)

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread35679.html

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tim_1522 View Post
    JMJ, I'd KILL for Cholesterol numbers that good!

Ignore TC as there's basically no correlation between TC and heart health. The real "money" numbers in a lipid panel when it comes to heart health are Tri's (want them to be low) and HDL (want them to be high) and both of those are OFF THE CHARTS good numbers. The LDL number is bogus for two reasons: 1) It's not a a measured number, it's calculated based on the other numbers and if your Tri's are low (like yours are) the calculation will show a false high number 2) It does not measure the Pattern A/Pattern B profile of the LDL. Much like TC doesn't tell you much without the other numbers, the LDL number doesn't tell you much unless you know if it's Pattern A or Pattern B. You want high Pattern A and low Pattern B.

Personally, the other numbers are so damn good, I wouldn't worry about the LDL number. But if you want some additional peace of mind, insist on getting a lipid panel which actually MEASURES the LDL and also provides the Pattern A/Pattern B profile.
    Thanks, Tim_1522. It's hard for me to know what to believe as I'm overwhelmed with information. I'm finding myself going to forums for advise and ignoring doctors. Sounds silly until you start to actually research health matters and find the misinformation that is given out.

By the way, a friend of mine is a radiologist and I told him all about my primal-style diet. He didn't have any specific option on it one way or the other. But did note that it was interesting how he graduated from medical school without ever taking a nutrition class. Now I think that is a very respectable response. If you don't know, simply say you don't know. I wish more people in the medical field would take that stance rather than give out misinformation.

Cricket is offline Member
    Boy I am in trouble if BG should be below 90! I feel just awful when my blood sugar is below 90! I am hypoglycemic and when it gets down in the 80's or worse yet...70's I get the shakes....bad. I have heard this before but I still feel that everyone is different. I find I feel best when mine is in the upper 90's.

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    If you don't know, simply say you don't know. I wish more people in the medical field would take that stance rather than give out misinformation.
    Unfortunately, I think the problem is that they think they know.

For that matter, so do we and we are fallible humans as well, but a lot of people on this forum have done considerably more reading on nutrition than most doctors.

tom1989 is offline Junior Member
    Suggest you change a doctor, perhaps you now is not qualified doctors. You need to slowly in the aftercare.

zebonaut is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    If a medical doctor gets it this wrong; we do we bother visiting them, or paying them for that matter? Oh yeah; he's got the keys to the medicine chest...

Page 7 of 7 FirstFirst ... 567