Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: HEART DISEASE, CHOLESTEROL and DIABETES Risk Caused by Going Primal? page 3

Apex Predator is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Agree with the above- your doctor doesn't know what he's talking about. If you are really worried, see a cardiologist- they'll look at you numbers and tell you they never need to see you again(they understand the actually ratios and such).

Your glucose is troubling, though. I'd reduce your exercise, fruit and liquid protein.

ETA: while I'd like to see your glucose lower, it's not awful. 140 is the danger zone, though you likely hit that daily, you also have lots of time below that to heal. If you end up getting more tests, get an A1C and a HS-CRP.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    140 is full diabetic
    100 is prediabetic.

100 IS the beginning of the danger zone.

I'd say 85-90 is safe normal. 90-99 is high normal.

100-140 is the danger zone if it's going higher. Cell damage doesn't start until 140.

Lower is better, yes, many long-time primals are in the 60s or 70s. But there's no need to stress over 103, just take the proper steps.

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Your doctor is an idiot, like others have said. Why do you take the protein powder on top of already very high meat consumption? You're certainly not lacking in natural protein sources. I doubt that impacts your blood work though, which is excellent. Get the glucose re-tested.
    If you are new to the PB - please ignore ALL of this stuff, until you've read the book, or at least http://www.marksdailyapple.com/primal-blueprint-101/ and this (personal fave): http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

mmapags is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tfarny View Post
    Your doctor is an idiot, like others have said. Why do you take the protein powder on top of already very high meat consumption? You're certainly not lacking in natural protein sources. I doubt that impacts your blood work though, which is excellent. Get the glucose re-tested.
    Agree with this and the others. What I also found disturbing is the whole oils thing. How clueless is that?

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    As for cholesterol read what Jammies has to say about the ratios. Check out these graphs.

http://renegadewellness.files.wordpr...lity-chart.pdf
    Hyperlipid: Cholesterol and Son of J-LIT

The total cholesterol for lowest all-cause mortality is 220. 243 is not much of a deviation from 220.

As others have said that's a really high protein intake. Dial it back to 150-200g.

The is a difference between insulin resistance and diabetes. Insulin resistance is a down regulation of insulin receptor sensitivity. Diabetes involves pancreatic damage. Gestational diabetes is not actually diabetes, but should be called gestational insulin resistance. Insulin resistance and diabetes are correlated, but they don't cause each other. They have some shared root causes, but then insulin resistance can be caused by many more things.

One of the things that increases non-pathological insulin resistance (therefore slightly elevated fasting glucose) without causing pancreatic damage is low carb dieting. It's an adaptive response so the brain conserves glucose for its use. I would therefore replace that protein with carbohydrates unless you have a specific reason not to.

Perfect Health Diet Safe Starches Symposium: Dr Ron Rosedale

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Idioteque View Post
    Too many proteins! Drop the powder protein. You don't need it. I also find 2.5 pounds of beef quite a lot, are you hungry or just eat it because you think you need it?
    I've been targeting a minimum of 200 grams of protein per day as I'd like to gain some lean muscle mass while I weight train. I've read some recommendations that those weight training should have 1 to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. As I'm 165 lbs, so then that would mean I should have 165 to 330 grams of protein. I'm trying to avoid being too excessive so I'm targeting 200 or so grams of protein.

As for why I'm eating 1.5 to 2.5 lbs of beef, I'm finding that given my activity level, even at these amounts, I'm barely gaining any weight, if at all. (Hard to say as the scale tends to fluctuate a bit.) I don't want to cut down my food intake as I'll likely lose weight.

Due to cost, I'm only eating grain-fed beef, but trying to balance out my omegas with daily canned fish and/or fish oil.

Is this level of protein excessive? Could it cause harm?
    Last edited by ASC; 03-03-2012 at 03:40 PM. Reason: correct typo

Quote Originally Posted by ASC View Post
    I've been targeting a minimum of 200 grams of protein per day as I'd like to gain some lean muscle mass while I weight train. I've read some recommendations that those weight training should have 1 to 2 grams of protein per pound of body weight. As I'm 165 lbs, so then that would mean I should have 165 to 330 grams of protein. I'm trying to avoid being too excessive so I'm targeting 200 or so grams of protein.

As for why I'm eating 1.5 to 2.5 lbs of beef, I'm finding that given how my activity level, even at these amounts, I'm barely gaining any weight, if at all. (Hard to say as the scale tends to fluctuate a bit.) I don't want to cut down my food intake as I'll likely lose weight.

Due to cost, I'm only eating grain-fed beef, but trying to balance out my omegas with daily canned fish and/or fish oil.

Is this level of protein excessive? Could it cause harm?
    Could be. You sound like a fantastic candidate for PWO carbs.

Also what program are you doing? A better one could really help.

Lily Marie is offline Senior Member
    Blood sugar doesn't have a whole lot to do with gaining or losing weight. Just because you're blood sugar is getting high, doesn't mean that you'll start gaining weight as a side effect. Losing weight is not a sign that "all is well".

The protein powder should be replaced with a whole food.

ASC
    ASC is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Too much protein also spikes blood sugar levels. The whey powder doesn't act like natural protein found in whole foods like meat or milk. It's isolated and hits your system like a speeding bullet.

Eating a lot of beef may also cause you troubles. Out of all the meats, it spikes the blood sugar the highest and longest. I can't remember what it is about it - Glycemic load, maybe?

Eating 2.5 pounds of beef a day may be too much for your system.

You may be eating too many fruits

Or, it may be a combination of all these things.
    My understanding was the beef is one of the best meats for the low omega 6 content. Is there another type of meat that I should be eating as my main source of calories? (I know that grass-fed is better, but it's just too expensive for me to eat as my main source of calories each day. This is why I try to balance my omegas with canned fish and/or fish oil on a daily basis.)

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast