Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: HEART DISEASE, CHOLESTEROL and DIABETES Risk Caused by Going Primal? page 2

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    Your doctor is not giving you personalised service (recommending exercise and weightloss when you do the former, maybe excessively, and are not indicated for the latter).
    Agreed. It reads like a form letter to me. I think he's probably got a program that translates your numbers into a CW advice handout.

Rattybag is offline Senior Member
    Its very hard to ignore our doctors advice, however wrong it may be, as for years we tend to go by the "Doctor knows best" saying. Just shows they dont know everything. A GP is a simple allrounder when it comes to ailments and in the UK diet plays only a very small part of their training when becoming a doctor. Sadly, dieticians are often no better.
    I have discovered 1 doctor in the UK (yes - just the one!) that eats and suggests paleo to his patients so why cant others do the same? If he was so wrong he would have been struck off years ago!
    Some doctors just wont budge from what they learned many years ago instead of changing their thinking, however logical it may be!
    Rant over!.... and breath........

Idioteque is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Lily Marie View Post
    Too much protein also spikes blood sugar levels. The whey powder doesn't act like natural protein found in whole foods like meat or milk. It's isolated and hits your system like a speeding bullet.

Eating a lot of beef may also cause you troubles. Out of all the meats, it spikes the blood sugar the highest and longest. I can't remember what it is about it - Glycemic load, maybe?

Eating 2.5 pounds of beef a day may be too much for your system.

You may be eating too many fruits

Or, it may be a combination of all these things.
    Ha, wanted to write the same thing when I read the first post.

Too many proteins! Drop the powder protein. You don't need it. I also find 2.5 pounds of beef quite a lot, are you hungry or just eat it because you think you need it?

Oh, as for the colesterol/triglicerides, your doctor is an idiot.

jsa23 is offline Senior Member
    First off, if you have a 30" waist at 5'9"/165 lbs, you're almost certainly NOT overweight/obese based on actual body fat level. BMI may yield some number, but it doesn't really account for muscle mass.

Your cholesterol numbers aren't as bad as they seem, particularly given your high HDL/low Triglycerides. With numbers like that, the "calculated" cholesterol number tends to be a bit on the high side. The last time my cholesterol numbers were measured, they were similar - very high HDL/very low triglycerides, "calculated" LDL on the high side. Maybe not perfect, but LDL numbers are a poor indicator when HDL is high/triglycerides are low.

The one thing to be slightly concerned about is your fasting glucose - 103 is fairly high. >100 is often considered pre-diabetic, but this is only a single measurement; I'd keep an eye on this.

activia is offline Senior Member
    First off I would get another test done. You'd be surprised at how much your cholesterol can vary day-to-day.

Second, check your thyroid. You might need iodine supplementation
    Make sure you are getting enough Vitamin D, are you supplementing? You should.
    Also check your gut health.
    How about your antioxidant intake? With elevated cholesterol this is really important. Please make sure you are getting enough, berries, chocolate, coffee, and lots of others.. Make sure to vary your antioxidants.
    What animals are you eating? (grass fed or grain fed?) Same with eggs... this is critical I wouldn't eat crap meat if you want good numbers.

How much slow movement are you doing? I would make sure at least 30 minutes of slow movement a day. I also recommend cutting the whey protein. If you aren't getting enough protein from real foods then maybe you dont need as much as you think.

Listen to some pod casts by Chris Kresser (he was recently in the paleo summit)_ talking about cholesterol. It is really great. Even on a paleo diet there is more that you may need to do personally to be healthy.

Your doctor is recommending a diet that can oxidize all that cholesterol, which is the real problem with cholesterol..so I wouldn't agree with that.
    Last edited by activia; 03-03-2012 at 06:23 AM. Reason: spelling mistake of Chris's name
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Last edited by activia; 03-03-2012 at 07:08 AM.
    Primal since March 2011

jimhensen is offline Senior Member
    You are 29, in good shape, and exercise on a regular basis. Unless you have some serious family history of heart disease, you really shouldn't be worrying about this.

Quote Originally Posted by jimhensen View Post
    You are 29, in good shape, and exercise on a regular basis. Unless you have some serious family history of heart disease, you really shouldn't be worrying about this.
    Because we should always be looking to optmize our health to prevent problems that could occur in the future. I really suggest listening to that presentation that I posted. I'm listening to it right now and it covers a lot of what Chris covered in the Paleo summit. Great information that I think will answer the OP's question.

Maybe you should listen to it to Jim instead of just repeating CW.
    Primal since March 2011

Nady is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by NWPrimate View Post
    Agreed. It reads like a form letter to me. I think he's probably got a program that translates your numbers into a CW advice handout.
    Yup~ cholesterol over 200, form letter issued. I wouldn't worry about it. But there is some good advice here on how to tweak the protein.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    The ONLY thing he's not wrong about is that your blood glucose is a bit high. How long did you fast before the test? Did you have anything other than water (coffee?). 103 is high.

But your cholesterol numbers are fantastic. I can only hope mine are that good (I haven't had them tested). Also, the fact that you are lean enough to show abs at all, and a non-smoker I presume, means you are probably a near-zero cardiac/stroke/diabetes risk, especially on a diet composed of whole foods. Your LDL calculated higher than it should because your triglycerides are very low and the equation used is inaccurate in that range.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast