Thread: IF and hypoglycemia page

austindanson is offline Junior Member

so i've been considering trying IF but am midly hypoglycemic and thus tend to feel faint if i miss meals.

any ideas? maybe I just shouldn't do it?

Nick Guest

Maybe give it a shot, but keep some glucose handy in case you get lightheaded. Perhaps also do it on a day when someone else is around in case it causes problems. If this is something you're under treatment for, I'd consult your physician.

austindanson is offline Junior Member

sounds like a good idea. ya, its not really a giant problem but i've come prety close to passing out from it before

FlyNavyWife is offline Senior Member

I used to get the same way if I didn't eat every 3 hours at least.

Since switching to primal foods, I've had zero problem with that.

Try it out... i doubt you'll have an issue if your body is anything like mine. Nick's idea about having someone else around is a good plan though. It's no fun to pass out.

Eating lots but still hungry? Eat more fat. Mid-day sluggishness? Eat more fat. Feeling depressed or irritable? Eat more fat. People think you've developed an eating disorder? Eat more fat... in front of them.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification

How long have you been eating primal for? I am / was the same - after 4 hours without food I'd start feeling woozy, sometimes to the point of the "tunnel vision" before fainting!

Having started moving towards primal in the last 2-3 weeks (so far have only cut grains and potatoes; and "finishing off" my stocks of dairy, beans, etc etc - so not even strict!) I have missed a few meals simply by being occupied and not noticing the time!

The only time I've felt even close to woozy was going from evening meal yesterday (about 7pm) through to lunchtime today (about 12:30). But before lunch I did my weekly shop, dismantled one double bed, hauled it downstairs, hauled another one upstairs and put it together...!

Sooooo...

- Give it a go. Maybe start from your evening meal so part of your fast is overnight, like normal.

- Just see how long in the morning you feel okay without food

- I'd say stay in and/or hsve someone with you just in case

- Avoid moving furniture!

- If you DO get woozy - eat something. I know I used to need a quick sugar hit, but at the same time you don't want to set up the cycle of highs and crashes, so maybe dried fruit for sugar then some nuts or something fatty / proteiny to take the edge off the sugar hit?