Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perpetual Bone Broth page

GrokON is offline Senior Member

Perpetual Bone Broth

Shop Now
    Does anyone run a perpetual bone broth in a slow cooker?

Any safety concerns? Electrical or bacterial?

Can you mix chicken, pork, beef, lamb, turkey, etc. bones and add bones from other meals throughout the week?

Do you run it constantly, or make a fresh one each week?

Thanks!
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    How funny/coincidental. I just ended my perpetual bone broth. I think I had it going for a week or week and a half. I'd let it go for a day or two, strain off the broth and put it into mason jars, then add more vinegar and water and let it go again. I thought it would never end. The broth did seem to get sort of light/mild after a while though. I only ended it because a) ran out of jars and b) got some beef heart I want to put in the slow cooker.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

Great! So no worries at all with it overheating? We are new to slow cookers. :-)

Maleficarum is offline Member
    the concern with mixing chicken/fowl with beef/lamb/etc is the high rate of oxidation of the marrow fat of bird bones. It does not deal with high/prolonged heat.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    I put my cooker on low. The water never boiled. I used only big beef bones. Some round ball joints and some big giant bones sawed into inch-thick rounds.

I did make one big mistake though. I accidentally put the plastic thing in the first batch, that thing at the bottom of the styrofoam tray. I worried I was going to kill myself with plastic chemicals but decided that maybe I could live through one plastic-infused broth.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Highest squat: 167.5 x 2. Current Deadlift: 195 x 3

abstractpersona is offline Senior Member
    Hi GrokON, how many are you making stock for, and how often will you have it?

I don't think there would be an electric problem, I mean, people leave their fridge, TVs, freezers plugged in all the time. Just make sure there's always enough water.
    Bacterial safety: make sure it's simmering at all times, if it's doesn't simmer hot enough, it's not safe.

I have a 6 quart slowcooker, but it's never big enough to make enough stock for me. And even though it has 3 heat settings, either it's so low that the stock doesn't even simmer, or so high that it's boiling. Of-course, it's supposed to be simmering, but my crockpot can't do that apparently.

Mixing bones: I never mix bones IN the pot, because different bones have different cooking times. But I do mix beef + chicken after it's cooked, depending if I want a heavy or light taste in my soup.

You are supposed to start a new batch each week, I think. See here: Bone Broth in a Slowcooker | Nourished Kitchen Despite the title I think it's much easier to do it on the stove.

My boyfriend and I eat soup for breakfast nearly every day, so we go through a lot of stock. Even so, I have no need to use a crockpot.
    Actually, if I were to use my 6 quart crockpot, it wouldn't be big enough to make stock for us, since the big beef bones won't fit.
    I'd rather put 9 beef bones in my big stock pot, cook it for 2 days and get it over with , than cook 2 or 3 beef bones in the crockpot and wait... and wait...
    This gives us 3 quarts of very, very thick stock (can cut into hard cubes with a knife), and it lasts us more than a week.

When I have chicken bones, I'd rather make stock overnight (1 night only) and get it over with, rather than have the crockpot on all the time.

Also, when I make stock in the crockpot, it never gels, and when I make it on the stove, it always gels really hard.

deepglades is offline Senior Member
    Is there a bone broth 101 type thread on here or somewhere else? Bone broth for dummies? I got 5 pounds of marrow bones from the butcher today and am having trouble figuring out what direction I want to go with them. Preferably the slow cooker I think...

I'm pretty handy in the kitchen, so my indecisiveness in this situation is frustrating. TY.

Dave RN is offline Senior Member
    If high is too highand low wont' even simmer I just fold a bath towel and place over the lid. Even on low it will be simmering soon and I can control the simmer by moving the folded towel so it partially covers the lid.

Primal Moose is offline Senior Member
    Hmm, this is an interesting idea...I've never heard of this. I usually wait til I have a few carcasses, or equivalent amount of bones, in the freezer, make a huge batch, and then pressure can it for storage.

PrimalCon New York
    Thanks so far, all!

I put some water into the new cooker, and put it on high for 4 hours to sort of test it out... Water got hot, but did NOT reach a rolling boil, or even a simmer. Maybe a little water movement at most. I had rather expected it would boil from being on high, so I was surprised about that. Does this mean low won't be hot enough? I can't imagine it reaching a simmer point if it didn't even TRY to simmer a little on high for 4 hours.

Abstractpersona, it's just my husband and I. But we don't supplement calcium, so since this will be a prime source of nutrition for us, we'd both like to enjoy broth by the mug/bowl 3-4 times per day.

Thanks again!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast