Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Heat Rash, Prickly Skin, page 2

activia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by wthiswrongwithme View Post
    Oh wow! Thank you! I didn't even know people like this existed. I will have to try it if I can't figure it out myself.
    He does Skype Consults I know
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Podsixia is offline Junior Member
    For me, it just hits when I get hot. It could be that I'm exerting myself, the room gets hot, or even if I get nervous or stressed. So perhaps it would be more accurate to say that it comes whenever I start to sweat. I only have visuals signs, like redness, when it gets really bad. The worst episode I've had was during our company chili cook-off a few weeks ago. The room was packed, it was already hot in there, and then I went and ate something called Chernobyl Chili. *Facepalm* I had about 10 minutes of excruciating pain across my entire body, and it wasn't cold outside that day so I couldn't even escape the building for relief.

I've also found that I can make it worse by losing control of my emotions when it happens. Sometimes I get so pissed off and frustrated because it hurts pretty bad, and that creates a downward spiral and makes it hurt worse. If I can take some deep breaths and try to stay calm through the worst of the pain, it usually doesn't get unbearable.

Thanks for that link. I'm going to check it out.

helspasco is offline Junior Member
    i live in the uk and get prickly heat every summer and used to just put up with it, dr said theres nothing that can help so i searched online and saw about aloe vera gel i swear to god it completly stops my hands from getting it now, just make sure to put it on and after the sun, i alsao read somewher that prickly heat can be an unerlying problem from manic depression, but i doubt that in your case

wthiswrongwithme is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by helspasco View Post
    i live in the uk and get prickly heat every summer and used to just put up with it, dr said theres nothing that can help so i searched online and saw about aloe vera gel i swear to god it completly stops my hands from getting it now, just make sure to put it on and after the sun, i alsao read somewher that prickly heat can be an unerlying problem from manic depression, but i doubt that in your case
    Thanks for the response. The aloe hasn't worked for me in the past, but I haven't tried it in 10+ years so I may have to try again.

I actually have had 'some' success in the past year or so with this. I found out after a Vitamin D test that my level was at a 14. So I started working really hard to bring that up. In the beginning I couldn't take a ton of vitamin D or it would bring on the prickly heat feeling, I also couldn't eat pork as the fat in the pork is known to have high amounts of vitamin D and was causing the same reaction (a reaction that also brings on intense anxiety in me, no wonder I was getting so nervous). However, now I can take 10,000IUs and do okay (previously, I could only do about 6,000 IUs).

I think I have also figured out that what I am calling "prickly heat" may in fact just be a hot flash. I'm 37, so I shouldn't be getting hot flashes I don't think, but I happened to read some a post where some women were talking about hot flashes and I was shocked at the similarities in the symptoms.

After slowly titrating up the Vitamin D, I got my levels up to a 65 and did notice I could go out in the sun and stay out. I haven't been diligent about taking it though and I know my levels have backed down some.

Just in the past month, we went to an island and I stayed out in the sun for several hours. Even with heavy doses of sunscreen, I still burned but never once got prickly heat unless I also overheated (this happened twice for a period of 10-20 seconds both times). Coming home I was pretty nervous I was going to have another episode before the sunburn subsided - one I couldn't control through temperature and would be torture, but it never came. My husband and I were definitely high-fiving for the success.

I still feel frustrated that I burn so easily. Even with ample amounts of sunscreen, I got pretty burned and was miserable and nervous for the prickly heat the entire last half of my vacation.

I recently had read another thread where someone hypothesized it had to do with a T4->T3 conversion which would make sense as I do seem to have thyroid problems. However, taking thyroid hasn't helped me much...instead I got intense sugar cravings and finally stopped taking thyroid meds.

That's all I've gathered over the past year. Just wanted to update this thread.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12