Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Successful weight loss for women?

Hybrid View

Successful weight loss for women?

I am female and really want to lose about 30lbs. I got inspired reading through the before and after pics thread until I realized most successes were men. Most of the threads complaining about not losing weight seem to be from women. I always wanted to believe that "men can lose weight easily and women can't" was a bit of a myth, but it's looking like reality.
    However, some women here have been quite successful. So, for the women who have successfully lost significant weight, what is your strategy? Do you do anything beyond eating primal? Do you take herbal supplements to balance hormones, boost adrenal function, etc? Do you have to eat lower carb? Count calories? Life weights more to build muscle mass? Do you have to fun marathons?

Really? I've seen plenty of women's stories on there! My sister-in-law lost 25 pounds in her first 2 months. I've lost 14 (I'm within 5-10 of ultimate goal weight so I have to start pushing more). A friend of mine has lost 12 in a month. There are so many women on this forum who are dropping pounds/inches like crazy. The more you have to lose, the easier it is to lose them without working terribly hard for it. Start out just eating primal and forming good habits, then tweak as you find out what works for you. Learning to listen to your body and learn how to read signals is important.
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Quote Originally Posted by Kakes View Post
    Really? I've seen plenty of women's stories on there!
    Well I did acknowledge there are many successful women stories. I just meant the successes seem to be skewed more toward men while the "failures" seem to be skewed more toward women. So I wanted to know if the successful women (compared to less successful women) had to go the "extra mile" to make it happen, and what that "extra mile" was.

The weight comes off just eating primal. I did shake up my normal workouts about the time I went primal and started bodyrocking. Many people here do crossfit workouts - but I have some disc injuries that won't let me do that. Bodyrocking is HIIT and uses your own body weight to build muscle. Muscle burns fat. You get a cardio workout and strength training all in one. I do also do low intensity aerobic to warm up or cool down. About 1hr of exercise 4 days a week. For a long time I only did 30min and still got results. BUT, started feeling so good with paleo and had so much energy, I increased the exercise a bit. It just feels good. Best of luck to you!
    FaceBook: PaleoMusings

We get one shot at life, let's make it amazing

NO extra mile here. Just sticking to the basics, no refeeds, no resets, no bulletproof coffee, no whole 30 or whatever. Lost 9 lbs in the first 3 weeks, lost 5 lbs in the last 5 weeks. I am about 2.5 lbs from my lowest adult weight. I feel great. Try it, even when I wasn't losing weight (I've had 2 little plateaus) I was getting smaller.

The beauty for me is how simple it was to transition. I was already eating organic, not lots of sugar, bread rarely. Not to have to worry about fat or calories is liberating. KISS (keep it simple stupid) has been my philosophy and it's working.

I follow a pretty basic primal blueprint with a few exceptions made for autoimmune disease. I think the common things that I have noticed for women not losing weight:

1. Eating dairy
    2. Eating nuts
    3. Being too rigid on the diet
    4. Eating too many processed meats (bacon, lunch meats, etc)
    5. Too many paleo substitutes (paleo pancakes, cookies, etc.)
    6. Use of artificial sweeteners
    7. Maybe the use of protein shakes.

Just my two cents
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Quote Originally Posted by jammies View Post
    I follow a pretty basic primal blueprint with a few exceptions made for autoimmune disease. I think the common things that I have noticed for women not losing weight:

1. Eating dairy
    2. Eating nuts
    3. Being too rigid on the diet
    4. Eating too many processed meats (bacon, lunch meats, etc)
    5. Too many paleo substitutes (paleo pancakes, cookies, etc.)
    6. Use of artificial sweeteners
    7. Maybe the use of protein shakes.

Just my two cents
    I think jammies is right. If you look through primal journals, I noticed a bit of a trend: the men seem to be pretty good at eating staples (cooking grass-fed steaks and vegetables, IFing a lot and a lot of them already in tune with heavy weight training), and I see women munching on nuts and eating handfuls of berries a lot, the paleo substitutes, and not yet ready to try weight and sticking to yoga...not ALL, but it's just a trend.

No snacking, nuts, excessive dairy (butter ok), processed meat, try to IF, REALLY no paleo substitutes (i.e. using almond flour to make muffins), and get in those fasted morning workouts while you IF, and I bet you'll do fine.

I lost weight cutting carbs and increasing protein (while keeping my calories at maintenance level on Fitday). This was before I started MDA. Paleo has lead to no weight loss at all. I agree that women seem to be struggling with weight achievement more than men. Remember too, that those who do not achieve what they want will just move on. I suspect there are quite a few of those we never hear from.

One thing that concerns me is when people post here complaining that they are not losing weight they get told that they are not doing it good enough. Cut nuts, cut dairy, cut calories..... Is this really how PB is supposed to be? Restrictive? I think many people gain weight because they are missing nutrients and minerals from their diet and this advice to cut food intake further can make the situation worse. You shouldn't have to cut nutritional food from your diet to be healthy.

My advice is to read the book, follow Mark's advice, and if you still don't lose weight dig deeper into the issue of stress, sleep and mineral deficiencies.

My smartphone makes me about $100 per month
    Updating my journal again after a 2 year break.

Quote Originally Posted by jo View Post
    I lost weight cutting carbs and increasing protein (while keeping my calories at maintenance level on Fitday). This was before I started MDA. Paleo has lead to no weight loss at all. I agree that women seem to be struggling with weight achievement more than men. Remember too, that those who do not achieve what they want will just move on. I suspect there are quite a few of those we never hear from.

One thing that concerns me is when people post here complaining that they are not losing weight they get told that they are not doing it good enough. Cut nuts, cut dairy, cut calories..... Is this really how PB is supposed to be? Restrictive? I think many people gain weight because they are missing nutrients and minerals from their diet and this advice to cut food intake further can make the situation worse. You shouldn't have to cut nutritional food from your diet to be healthy.

My advice is to read the book, follow Mark's advice, and if you still don't lose weight dig deeper into the issue of stress, sleep and mineral deficiencies.
    I don't really view nuts and dairy as that healthy. There is nothing in those foods that you can't get from a more primal choice. I think the real issue is that nuts and dairy are very, very easy to overeat.

Have you ever watched videos of primates eating nuts in the wild? They have special little smashing stones and they will sit for a very long time smashing them open. I would guess in an hour they maybe eat ten nuts - and it is still worth it for them calorically! So having a giant bag a pre-shelled nuts of a jar of nut butter allows a lot of calories to be eating. Plus they are high in O6 fats and have tons of lectins.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html