I was successful with low carb at first but then stalled out. My more recent losses have come since I quit worrying about carbs (and gave up counting in general) and more recently when I cut out dairy except for butter. I don't think everyone needs to drop dairy; however, I gave it up for six weeks for a paleo challenge at my gym, and since I was already primal, I decided to do a more strict paleo thing and give up dairy to see what happened. I dropped another 11 pounds and now fit back into all my size 6 clothes and some size 4s. Needless to say, I'm keeping on with what works for me, so I still minimize my dairy intake.
In total over my primal journey, I've gone from a size 14 to a size 4/6 and lost about 35 pounds.
How I do primal:
- I paleo bake, but only with coconut flour, or I make things like custards or fruit crumbles (shredded coconut topping) that don't require any sort of flour.
- I use honey and maple syrup as sweeteners in small quantities, but consume a little almost daily (teaspoon of honey in coconut milk chai, for example).
- I don't count calories (although I do keep a simple food log so that I can track how I feel/perform with dietary changes).
- I don't count carbs.
- I eat when I'm hungry. No forced IF, no eating windows except what I tend toward naturally, which means unplanned IF happens reasonably frequently.
- I don't worry about eating carbs and fats together.
- I probably consume less fat than many around here, but that still has me eating far more fat than a non-primal person.
- I eat root vegetables, including potatoes, as well as greens, brassicas, peppers and tomatoes, and pretty much any other veggies I can get my hands on--I love them all.
- I eat fruit when I feel like it, generally at least one portion a day (a banana, for example) but often two. I don't avoid sweeter fruits and love things like pineapple and melons.
- I eat small amounts of dairy (mainly cheese) as a treat now, but I do not make it a regular part of my diet.
- I do CrossFit.
- I walk my dog.
- I am pretty strict about getting enough sleep.
- I try to keep up with the less talked about PB rules like getting enough play, using my brain, and so on. I don't know if they make me thin, but they make me happy and healthy.