Thread: Coconut milk question. page

t-bird is offline Junior Member

Coconut milk question.

Shop Now
    When recipes call for coconut milk, I assume they are referring to canned coconut milk vs. the coconut milk that comes in the refrigerated section with the other"milk" products such as almond and soy milk. I enjoy the "So Delicious" brand of coconut milk products available at Whole Foods. Is it okay to use these products, or is it better to use the canned variety? Thank you for any help, I'm new to this site.

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Canned coconut milk is much higher in fat and is sweeter and thicker. I think So Delicious is basically equivalent to canned coconut milk thinned with ALOT of water.

And welcome to the forum!

Clabbergirl is online now Senior Member
    I'm with yodiewan on this - canned milk is SO much better in terms of flavor, texture, and fats. The milk crate types I've tried all are very watery. I've been on a quest to try every brand of coconut milk I can find also to see which have the best milkiness, and so far Thai Kitchen seems to be the best in my neck of the woods. Harris Teeter's brand has been pretty good. I've also found it seems to vary among brands - some cans of say, Thai Kitchen are more liquid while others are more cream. I wish the manufacturers would publish what percentage of their product is added water on the can. Calorie/fat content is a decent gauge - the higher of both, the more milk and less water.

Tclose90 is offline Junior Member
    I had no idea I was getting jipped out of a more delicious treat! I have been drinking the coconut that comes in the jug! I was a little worried about the BPA in the cans of coconut milk. Can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't use BPA in their cans?

yodiewan is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Tclose90 View Post
    I had no idea I was getting jipped out of a more delicious treat! I have been drinking the coconut that comes in the jug! I was a little worried about the BPA in the cans of coconut milk. Can anyone recommend a brand that doesn't use BPA in their cans?
    I've heard that Native Forest is BPA-free. Personally I don't worry about it too much: "Majestically Scientific" Federal Study On BPA Has Stunning Findings: So Why Is The Media Ignoring It? - Forbes

I've tried several brands (including Native Forest) and Thai Kitchen wins.

cantat is offline Senior Member
    I have one of those cartons of thinned out coconut milk in my fridge, and I think it's called 'coconut beverage,' not coconut milk. I don't know if that's how all of them are but when a recipe calls for coconut milk, I use the canned kind!

-Syd
    29/F
    5'4.5
    Highest weight: 220
    Starting weight: 195
    Current weight: 179
    Goal weight: 127

lopisheep is offline Senior Member
    I'd stick with Native Forest -- no BPA and a fantastic thick consistency. Add raw cacao nibs to a bit of it and get your zinc and copper from the nibs as well as all the goodies from the coconut milk. The So Delicious has a ****load of junk in it that you might want to avoid. Shaking the NF can is great exercise. Just try to get the liquid at the botton to mix with everything without opening it up and sticking a chopstick or something in it. Enjoy!