Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Allergic to Carbs. Zero Carb (or at least low low carb) for Cure page

abc123 is offline Senior Member

Allergic to Carbs. Zero Carb (or at least low low carb) for Cure

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The more I experiment with foods & my bodys corresponding reaction, I'm thinking that I may just be allergic, or at least reacting negatively to most carbs.. I'm lean, 5'10", around 162lbs, & 8% bf.. I look great, but feel like total shit when I eat starchy meals.. Sugar simply ruins me it seems..

When I eat: sweet potatoes, white rice (or brown), & most fruits I body gets really hot, skin is hot to touch, heart beats fast, fruit makes me pee non-stop, horribly bloated, gassy, ready to nap immediately, & sometimes the food just runs right through me.. primal "starchy" carbs you guys are eating trigger these inflammatory responses in me..

Almost appears I may have "IBS".. I can feel the acidic burning sensation in my gut when I eat a "carby" meal (I eat clean tubers, no grains.. I'm a pretty discipline eater) & its pretty apparant I'm not handling sugar well at all..

When I do eat these carb meals though, I seem to be super lean the next day.. I know this is the goal of most people, but for me, its like the furnace is burning to hard.. Doesn't seem & feel healthy.. Almost like I'm getting too lean..

Thinking this could be IBS or leaky gut? or just carb sensitive?

I feel fantastic on a high fat diet (meats, eggs, full fat yogurt, olive oil, avocado), obviously moderate to high protein.. Since almost completely eliminating carbs: (Zero to low low carbs.. less than 50 a day only coming form veggies) my energy is sustainable, my skin looks great, I sleep better, actually sustain my weight (& gain a little), heart beats quietly, stool seems perfect, & digestive system seems quiet & peaceful..

Anyone experience the same thing? I've always had a pretty fast metabolism "ectomorphic".. Currently very lean & look great, but started adding some carbs back in to gain 5lbs or so.. However, the carbs are crushing my digestive system..

Just wondering if I stay completely away from carbs (with exception to veggies) if I'm going to become even more insulin-resistant & my body will react more extreme with the smallest traces of sugar..

jakey is offline Senior Member
    if you feel better eating zero carb, do so until you feel not-so-better. i do not believe you can be allergic to an entire macronutrient class though.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    if you feel better eating zero carb, do so until you feel not-so-better. i do not believe you can be allergic to an entire macronutrient class though.
    I've never heard of such a case, and if it were true then it'd be a rather serious issue.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    You remind me somewhat of Lex Rooker's story.
    Lex Rooker, USA
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

sofiajp is offline Member
    I'm not sure about "allergic" but I agree with you as I feel like crap if I eat rice or sweet potatoes as well. If I eat fruit I end up with heartburn or I get bloated so I avoid most fruit. I decided that I would listen to my body and for now, I avoid them.

Quote Originally Posted by jakey View Post
    Sure I'm not allergic to an entire class of "carbs" & didn't mean to be misleading.. As I mentioned, vegetables are less worse on my system, & of course they are in the class.. However, basic organic fruits, & starch do wreack havoc on me & this seems to be uncommon.. Thinking its simply a very sensitive sugar issue, but none-the-less carbohydrates are not benefiting my system @ all..

to note as well - 24-hr. fasts, twice per week, have done wonders for my digestive issues..

I keep reading about carbs & their effects on the body & although they are somewhat of a preferred source of energy & glucose is productive to an athlete, carbs point to many gut issues & inflammatory responses.. Seems we're all trying to find a way to work the carbs into our diets, & the right amounts, etc while still remaining "low carb".. My system may be better of completely without carbs, exception being fibrous veggies.. period

Here's some of the stuff I'm reading.. ----> Scientific Proof Carbohydrates Cause Disease 1/3/04 (2004 publish)

Dr. Mercola pointing to all side effects of carb consumption on the body.. Promoting high fat, very very low carb as "healing" solution

Excerpt relating to Cortisol & Carb relationship:
    "An excessive ratio of carbohydrates to protein results in excess secretion of insulin, which often leads to intervals of hypoglycemia. The body, in an attempt to normalize blood sugar, initiates a counter-regulatory process during which the adrenals are stimulated to secrete increased levels of cortisol and adrenalin. It follows that an excessive intake of carbohydrates often leads to excessive secretion of cortisol."

Excess cortisol:

•Diminishes cellular utilization of glucose
    •Increases blood sugar levels
    •Decreases protein synthesis
    •Increases protein breakdown that can lead to muscle wasting
    •Causes demineralization of bone that can lead to osteoporosis
    •Interferes with skin regeneration and healing
    •Causes shrinking of lymphatic tissue
    •Diminishes lymphocyte numbers and functions
    •Lessens SIgA (secretory antibody productions). This immune system suppression may lead to increased susceptibility to allergies, infections, and degenerative disease

-High-cortisol levels caused by excessive carbohydrate consumption and high-insulin levels cause the body to extract high-tensile strength collagen protein fibers from bones, remove the mineral matrix by demineralization and weaken connective tissue at the joints. The protein loss is accelerated by a low-protein diet, and the bone minerals are lost in the urine. One is literally peeing his/her bones away. The result is a rapid and shocking diagnosis of osteoporosis and degenerative disk disease where the spine can lose as much as one inch (25 mm) in height in as little as one year. Bones fracture more easily, and the dreaded hip fracture is much more likely to occur.

Women are told to drink lots of milk and eat plenty of yogurt to get additional calcium with the promise it will prevent bone loss, but the advice is based on faulty logic. The additional lactose in the milk and yogurt plus the additional sugar and fruit added to yogurt only serve to increase the dietary carbohydrate load. The net result is harmful to the bones as many are discovering.

All of this can be prevented by eating a high-protein, high-fat, low-carbohydrate diet.

It is a pretty good read..
    Last edited by abc123; 03-02-2012 at 10:43 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    You remind me somewhat of Lex Rooker's story.
    Lex Rooker, USA
    Thank you for the link! Yes, it does seem we have quite a bit in common! Great testimonial he makes..

SGRhapsodos is offline Junior Member
    I was always a very carby eater until after I gave birth and I started having problems with my bowels. I found out I have celiac disease and from then on I've been feeling horrible if I eat too much sugar (grains are the worst!) beans, tubers, everything. A dietician told me that I was very hypoglycemic and that I needed to eat a higher protein/carb ratio and add more fats. It sounds as if you have a similar problem. Make sure you keep carbs really low and get checked out for GI problems like leaky gut and celiac. I'm also very thin 105lbs at 5'5". 11% body fat). I find that I need to keep my carbs at 15 grams per meal ( including veggies and nuts) so I don't feel a crash (brain fog, disorientation, etc.)

kevingeary is offline Senior Member
    Wait till ChocoTaco gets here. He's gonna lay down the law on your no carb eating ass. lol. Don't give him your address, he'll probably come to your house, tie you up, and force feed you potatoes.

activia is offline Senior Member
    Watch today's presentation..

Paleo Summit

You need to watch it today if you want to be able to for free.
    Primal since March 2011

Female/29 years old/5' 1"/130ish lbs

Page 1 of 9 123 ... LastLast