Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: Allergic to Carbs. Zero Carb (or at least low low carb) for Cure page 5

Silvergirl is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    I feel your pain. I can't eat salads or any veg. uncooked, also off my list are all the FODMAPS now, the hardest being garlic and onion......ouch! also high allergy/intolerance to nuts, eggs, dairy, avocado, blueberry, nectarines, peaches, pineapple, olive, cucumber, mushroom, flaxseed, tumeric, vanilla, kale, melon, alfalfa, bamboo shoots, etc etc. so I am just about eating meat and tomato, adding the Fodmaps has made it all really difficult. Hoping to find that after a period of healing I can start to try and test more and introduce more things, but right now I just need to suck it up and heal my gut. Pretty sure I am having a problem with Chocolate and coffee now too. I too, don't feel well eating high carb,
    Starting Primal June 2012 at 148.5lbs, goal weight in November 2012.
    Now 95lbs and holding.
    Primal, minus eggs, dairy and a myriad of other allergens.

upupandaway is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alykat View Post
    Ugh I read more often than not meat rots in your gut if your bowels are not moving really well, then I read most meat is absorbed and used in the body so stools are just bacteria if there is no fiber BUT yo must have stool. I'd like to see evidence of either side.
    Just a quick side note, meat does NOT rot in your gut... veggies however....

Does Meat Rot In Your Colon? No. What Does? Beans, Grains, and Vegetables! - GNOLLS.ORG

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by upupandaway View Post
    Just a quick side note, meat does NOT rot in your gut... veggies however....

Does Meat Rot In Your Colon? No. What Does? Beans, Grains, and Vegetables! - GNOLLS.ORG
    Hmmm... So the reason gas smells is bc of the vegetables that rot & ferment in the gut?

Does a lifestyle of only eating animal foods not cause gas & if one has gas does it stink? Seriously all I hear from people who do Atkins is they are constipated and straining in the bathroom. Why?
    I'm not wanting that and i sure don't want things rotting in me either:-/

Lady D is offline Senior Member
    Hmmm... So the reason gas smells is bc of the vegetables that rot & ferment in the gut?

Does a lifestyle of only eating animal foods not cause gas & if one has gas does it stink? Seriously all I hear from people who do Atkins is they are constipated and straining in the bathroom. Why?
    I'm not wanting that and i sure don't want things rotting in me either:-/
    I think it depends on that person, and their individual gut bacteria, more than their food intake - to be gross, neither the smell of my bum-burps nor the smell of my stool has changed from when I was vegetarian for 20 years, admittedly not eating any processed food apart from canned beans in water and tinned plain tomatoes, to now, when I'm eating meat twice a day, fresh veg, and no cereals at all. And I've been eating some meat for over 2 years now, most days.

Neither has my body odour changed - the only thing that makes all the above smell diffent is eating garlic, they go kind of sulphury then. Sorry if that's TMI but it is relevant.

ChocoTaco369 is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by abc123 View Post
    The more I experiment with foods & my bodys corresponding reaction, I'm thinking that I may just be allergic, or at least reacting negatively to most carbs.. I'm lean, 5'10", around 162lbs, & 8% bf.. I look great, but feel like total shit when I eat starchy meals.. Sugar simply ruins me it seems..

When I eat: sweet potatoes, white rice (or brown), & most fruits I body gets really hot, skin is hot to touch, heart beats fast, fruit makes me pee non-stop, horribly bloated, gassy, ready to nap immediately, & sometimes the food just runs right through me.. primal "starchy" carbs you guys are eating trigger these inflammatory responses in me..

Almost appears I may have "IBS".. I can feel the acidic burning sensation in my gut when I eat a "carby" meal (I eat clean tubers, no grains.. I'm a pretty discipline eater) & its pretty apparant I'm not handling sugar well at all..

When I do eat these carb meals though, I seem to be super lean the next day.. I know this is the goal of most people, but for me, its like the furnace is burning to hard.. Doesn't seem & feel healthy.. Almost like I'm getting too lean..

Thinking this could be IBS or leaky gut? or just carb sensitive?

I feel fantastic on a high fat diet (meats, eggs, full fat yogurt, olive oil, avocado), obviously moderate to high protein.. Since almost completely eliminating carbs: (Zero to low low carbs.. less than 50 a day only coming form veggies) my energy is sustainable, my skin looks great, I sleep better, actually sustain my weight (& gain a little), heart beats quietly, stool seems perfect, & digestive system seems quiet & peaceful..

Anyone experience the same thing? I've always had a pretty fast metabolism "ectomorphic".. Currently very lean & look great, but started adding some carbs back in to gain 5lbs or so.. However, the carbs are crushing my digestive system..

Just wondering if I stay completely away from carbs (with exception to veggies) if I'm going to become even more insulin-resistant & my body will react more extreme with the smallest traces of sugar..
    I have a very different thought process. All the things you are describing sounds like carbohydrate is trying to fix your horribly stress-ridden body. You're not looking at it from the right perspective.

1.) Your body gets hot and your heart beats faster because carbohydrate raises your metabolic rate and sends thyroid function higher. You sound like you have a subnormal body temperature and are potentially hypothyroid.

2.) You have to pee because carbohydrate is converted into glycogen rapidly, which comes with 3-4g of water retention for every gram of glycogen stored. You dump that water when you use the glycogen. This isn't a downside but a positive.

3.) The food "runs right through you" because your gut is probably trashed. Longterm avoidance of soluble fiber, which comes from fruits and starches and is nonexistant in meat and vegetables, destroys your gut cultures. They feed off of soluble fiber and sugar, so when you give them no sugar, they die. If you suddenly start eating foods that require fermentation to digest - fruits and starches - you will fail to digest them properly. This is also what's probably causing your IBS.

More or less, you don't "feel" fantastic on a high fat diet. What you have done is by avoiding carbohydrate, you've wrecked your body so completely that eating carbohydrate is now a problem for you. You've created an absolute mess of yourself and a diet that SHOULD make you feel comparatively lousy - a high fat, low carbohydrate diet - has become more comfortable for you.

Leanness is just a product of CICO. You have calories under control. There are plenty of lean trainwrecks in the bodybuilding community.

I would recommend you start doing the exact opposite of what you're doing to get on the mend. Stop eating fat, start embracing well-cooked starches and sweet fruits. Start supplementing EVERY meal with a probiotic pill and some Greek yogurt or kefir. Start embracing fermented foods. Avoid nuts, fibrous vegetables and grains like the plague since the insoluble fiber is extremely problematic, especially in your case. Start slow - remove the skins from potatoes, sweet potatoes and fruits. Peel your apples, peaches, etc. You may even want to start with cooked fruits - baked bananas and apples, or even puree them to make the fiber easier to digest.

Andrew Kim sums up your situation masterfully here:
    Another prominent clinician-researcher, Harold Himsworth, who was also first to show that insulin sensitivity in the tissues is reduced in diabetics, decades later, suggested, based on his clinical experiences and a review of the population data that high intakes of dietary fat (which raises free fatty acid levels) caused diabetes, and that diets rich in carbohydrates and low in fat were protective of it (Himsworth, 1934a, 1934b, 1936).

Kahn et al. thereafter, via multivariate analyses, in effect, reconfirmed the data that had been amassed by Himsworth, by showing that men who ate more sugar were less likely to develop diabetes later on than those who ate less of it—believe it or not (Kahn et al., 1971). By the 1980s, sugar had been pretty much exonerated from the diseases that were, speculatively, being assigned to it.[...]

[...]Fatty acids, both directly and indirectly, inactivate the PDH complex, preventing the metabolism of glucose to carbon dioxide, whereas carbohydrates have the opposite effect. Diabetics generally have elevated levels of free fatty acids in the blood, and this accounts for many processes that go off the rails in them, including (1) an impaired ability to switch from one fuel source (e.g., fat) to another (e.g., glucose) and (2) a 2- to 4-fold increased risk of cardiovascular disease compared to non-diabetics.[...]

[...]So in summary, it’s my contention that the excessive mobilization and oxidation of fatty acids—a signature of sorts of the diabetic metabolism— impairs insulin actions, primarily by way of inhibiting the PDH complex (Koves et al., 2005). Simply put, when free fatty acid levels are elevated, the metabolism of glucose to carbon dioxide becomes impaired, and glucose is rerouted to lactate instead. This has important implications for the cardiovascular disease—of which, to recap, diabetics have an increased risk of.[...]

[...]I would recommend, in no particular order, to (1) supplement with vitamin B1 (cofactor of the PDH complex) and (2) magnesium (helps retain ATP in the cell), (3) eat sugar as in fruit in preference to starches as in grains and tubers, (3) reduce excess body fat if you have it, and replace it with muscle, which serve as sinks for free fatty acids, (4) reduce the fat in the diet and replace them with carbohydrates and protein, keeping calories more or less the same. (I’ve found, and most dieters knows, that the loss of muscle occurs long before the fat stores become depleted, which is why carbohydrates are superior to fat during periods of weight loss, as carbohydrates are strongly anabolic), (5) opt for small meals over large ones in order to maintain steadier blood glucose levels over the course of a day, and (6) de-stress as much as possible by, for instance, getting into the habit of creating and writing down plans for how you will get an A on an upcoming exam, cope with a major life change, complete a paper, win an argument, etc. This can be more powerful than executing the plan itself . . . it has been for me at least.

Andrew Kim Blog: Diabetes, Dangerous Fat, and Protective Sugar
    How does that relate to you? Well, it's my belief that you have killed off your bacteria cultures in your gut and you are riddled with elevated stress hormones (cortisol, estrogen, serotonin, aldoesterone, PTH, etc) from prolonged low carbohydrate eating. Especially with your level of leanness, you should be running on a particularly high carbohydrate diet since your leptin levels are low. I'm willing to bet you have shockingly high fasting glucose - maybe around 90 or so. It may be worth looking into as I'm banking on you being strongly insulin resistant from avoidance of carbohydrate. When I was HFLC, my fasting BG was usually around 85-88. Now that I'm mostly a carbivore, I hang in the 74-77 range. Reducing fats and increasing carbs in kind have markedly improved my insulin sensitivity, and as I result I've dropped a good amount of body fat since carbs are less fattening than fat.

I would also recommend you get bloodwork showing fasting glucose, cortisol, adrenaline, serotonin, parathyroid hormone (PTH) and a comprehensive thyroid panel showing TSH, T3, T4 and rT3. Don't just get a TSH screening - you need to see if your body is converting T4 into active T3. TSH just shows if the pituitary gland is calling for the thyroid to function...it's pretty meaningless. The problem most people have is the conversion after the fact.

I hope this helps.
    Last edited by ChocoTaco369; 07-31-2013 at 10:33 AM.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Alykat is offline Member
    Chocotaco :-) awesome write up.
    I can attest to fruits consistency working really well in my body but avocados totally give mood boost, it's my main fat source next to young coconuts. Whole food fats seem to lift my spirits a lot more than a bowl of cherries.

Here's the question on reading about digestion tract-
    Soluable fiber absorbs water so adds volume But we need the insoluable fiber to move it thru the system. That's why both are essential. If one only eats soluable fiber it's not moving thru and out the way it should. At least that's all I've ever found on the topic. I know when I went on steemed sweet potato binges it was really hard to go ___. But if I ate it raw sliced up to use for dips - no problem.
    So how can peeling fruits or skinless steamed sweet potatoes be the way to do it? Wouldn't it make evacuation harder?

Chocotaco :-) awesome write up.
    I can attest to fruits consistency working really well in my body but avocados totally give mood boost, it's my main fat source next to young coconuts. Whole food fats seem to lift my spirits a lot more than a bowl of cherries.
    Have you seen the nutrition information on an avocado?

Nutrition Facts and Analysis for Avocados, raw, California

An avocado of "average" size contains 11.8g of carbohydrate, of which 9.2g are fiber. That's 78% - shockingly high! And if you've eaten an acovado before, you know that's the soluble stuff. Avocados don't exactly have the highest quality fats in them, but they're clearly good for gut health.

They're particularly high in vitamins and minerals, so who is to say it's the fats making you feel good? They're pretty nutrient-dense. It could just as easily be the potassium, vitamin K, vitamin C, magnesium or folate making you feel good. My money would be on the potassium - it is shockingly high, and most Americans are deficient. Look into blackstrap molasses. The potassium content is through the roof. I'd be curious to see if a tablespoon of blackstrap molasses also made you feel fantastic.

Here's the question on reading about digestion tract-
    Soluable fiber absorbs water so adds volume But we need the insoluable fiber to move it thru the system. That's why both are essential. If one only eats soluable fiber it's not moving thru and out the way it should. At least that's all I've ever found on the topic. I know when I went on steemed sweet potato binges it was really hard to go ___. But if I ate it raw sliced up to use for dips - no problem.
    So how can peeling fruits or skinless steamed sweet potatoes be the way to do it? Wouldn't it make evacuation harder?
    You absolutely do not need insoluble fiber. It's the soluble stuff that really helps...move product.

Skins on fruits and vegetables can give people with gut issues problems. Cucumber skin, zucchini skin, potato skin, sweet potato skin, apple skin, peach skin...these things are notorious to give people problems since this is largely insoluble fiber. Peel them and what remains is the nice, soft, soluble stuff you can break down.
    Don't put your trust in anyone on this forum, including me. You are the key to your own success.

Alykat is offline Member
    Cocotaco-
    What kind of problems?

And even if the apple, grape, tomato, zucchini skins go in the blender with the whole fruits. That's the only way I eat skins. Most time I spit them out if I can't blend it into a soup.

Are you eating No leafy greens or vegetables other than starchy ones?
    What dif. did you notice cutting them out?

I eat plenty of leafy greens. I eat 3 heads of lettuce a week minimum. Cucumbers every day - I love the skins. But my gut is A-OK. I have no reason to avoid vegetable fiber, and I eat very limited nuts and almost no grains so that really tough fiber isn't an issue. For someone that has poor gut health, they'd likely have issue digesting vegetable skins, and nuts, seeds and grains would be a nightmare. Stick to soft fruit flesh and starchy tubers cooked very well IMO.

Rocco Hill is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Great answer Chocotaco. The most valuable one in the thread for all those 'allergic to carbs'

Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast