Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: Allergic to Carbs. Zero Carb (or at least low low carb) for Cure page 4

Casey is offline Member
    Primal Fuel
    Veggies - asparagus, Brussels sprouts - that's all I can think of?

For fruit - oh man. I miss fruit. Watermelon seems ok, but honeydew or cantaloupe make my mouth hurt. Other fruit that hurts my mouth (and then bloats me and hurts my innards): Kiwi, oranges (any citrus), pineapple (BIG OW) green bananas (if they are green they make my mouth feel like I've chewed sandpaper), strawberries. I can eat cherries and have no mouth pain, but the pain comes later, lol. Grapes make my mouth feel really DRY, I can't explain it better than that. If I even squeeze a wedge of lemon into a glass of mineral water, my mouth and gums and lips feel like I've been trying to eat bees. So I have an instant mouth-allergy to fruit, and then the bloating and etc. I stay away from fruit completely.

OH! Except avocados, thank the sweet baby jesus in a manger. I can eat avocado and I put it on everything, eggs and meat and I'd garnish a glass of water with it if I could.

I will admit, I have been having issues with the pooping thing. Which is one of the reasons I do eat some veggies, like asparagus. But if I eat salad (lettuce) I will absolutely see pristine pieces of lettuce in the toilet the next morning. My body does not digest it for some reason. Like corn, if you know what I mean. Tomato skins too, or the skins off of bell peppers. Ugh.

Pasta was my first processed carb clue, like from the time I was about 6-years old. One serving and my stomach bloats up to 6-months pregnant size, and the gas - well, my husband put his foot down about me eating pasta well over 5 years ago, he just couldn't take it... Now it is all grains, pasta, cereals, etc.

I originally thought it might be a fructose thing, and anything with HFCS is awful for me (I mean, personally, not just in the general sense) but then I figured it was all sugar. Any sugar. Cane, organic, maple syrup, (oh man, how I miss pancakes) corn syrup, fruit sugars, it all contributes.

I'm sure there is a scientific enzyme or something tying all of this together, but I'll be damned if I can figure it out. The closest I've come so far is salicylic acid, which is present in some (but not all?) fruit. I also can't take aspirin, so that may be something.
    Last edited by Casey; 07-30-2013 at 03:16 PM.

Alykat is offline Member
    Avocado has a lot of fiber too. Cellulose is not digestible by humans, all insoluable fiber like skins to fruits will pass thru system.
    The fact you get it passed thru your system so quickly (over night) that sounds like you don't have issues.

Do you do any fermented foods (coconut kefir, probiotics ) ? I would think if you are eating little to no vegetation you would need plenty of bacteria to make stools. Raw meats (sushi etc...) or raw eggs help the bacteria count some too.

I'm not sure then what you meant by the stool part of your diet is a problem? Do you not have stools? Or are you constipated (making stools but difficult to get out?). Rock in your stomach? Having to use laxative to go Etc... Please explain. There is no such thing as TMI when we are trying to figure out our health.
    A side note- most protein is absorbed by the body leavening about 3% of the quantity for ash to be expelled.

Casey is offline Member
    I eat a LOT of sushi. So that is good news for me. I am thinking of eating raw meat - I have always loved raw hamburger, even as a child! I still sneak a chunk with salt on it, and I wasn't previously particular about where I got the meat, just supermarket stuff. I have never been sick from it. I'm thinking of making raw meatloaf with grass-fed organic beef and raw eggs, and eating that? Any ideas on that?

It's the gurgling/barking/gassy response of my gut to anything vegetative that is awful for me. And the fact that my mouth hurts like a beyotch if I even get close to fruit.

Eating 'diet food' i.e. Lean Cuisine's and chicken and rice was part of why I gained 50 pounds while going through menopause, which makes me so angry, I believed the party line - it's all a connection to me regarding insulin and hormones and enzymes. I'm still tweaking things, still learning, but so far what I have STOPPED eating has had a bigger impact than anything I have tried in the last 5 years to add to my diet.

Since I am eating a high ratio of protein, my stools are infrequent. I do not have bloating from this, or pain. We went to Vegas about 2 weeks ago, and while there I had carbs. Not a lot, but a bite here and there, and a couple vodka & tonics one night OH and freaking pasta one night because expensive Italian restaurant, helped my husband eat his fettuccini, I KNEW BETTER. Three days later my gut was a rock and very painful, down low in my intestines not up in my stomach. I had to use a laxative, which was not pleasant but did the trick. In a month, that is the only time I have been constipated. I just, don't poop. Maybe every other day, which may be normal for primal eating. I was used to going every single morning after my coffee. To be clear, I don't feel the urge or feel constipated, I just have pooped ever day for 50 years, it's weird to get used to.

I had two pieces of dark chocolate with almonds (Trader Joes) yesterday, and also TJ's organic ketchup on my burger. I was bloated from carbs all day today. It is a different feeling than being constipated, it's exactly like I used to feel once a month with PMS. Like I'm 6 months pregnant. I have been carb free all day, and it was that 'test' that prompted me to search for "allergic to all carbs" and find this thread.

I drink a good quantity of water - I don't force it down, but I do get enough hydration. I have maybe 2 diet cokes/pepsi during the day, which yes aspartame is horrible. In my coffee I use Truvia and some fat free milk, although I am thinking of switching to just half & half because I use so little dairy (only what goes in my coffee) and I may need the fat?

Please ask away - I have been on a long solitary journey with this stuff, and while I feel MILES better, it is always better to know why.

ETA: I also walk every day - sometimes 2 miles, sometimes 4 miles. Every day. I haven't started lifting anything heavy (besides myself, har) yet.
    Last edited by Casey; 07-30-2013 at 04:56 PM. Reason: To add in my exercise

kiwigal is offline Senior Member
    I also am allergic to carbs. The same exact thing happens to me!!

Grassiness, fatigue, brain fog

I feel sick and just awful.

My diet consists of protein, high fat and veggies. I'm also hoping for some gut healing to take place!!!!

GiGiEats is offline Senior Member
    The only carbohydrates I eat are from veggies, and I have to eat minimal veggies in order to feel good, when I follow this approach, which is... uh, ALWAYS - with the exception I eating too many veggies sometimes, I feel fantastic!! Oh and of course I load on the fat!!

CarbDodger is offline Senior Member
    i also feel better when eating around 50g of mainly vegetable carbs with a little fruit. i cant get enough potassium from only meat/fish.

for Casey- i also feel glorious in ketosis but if you start to feel unwell ,particularly if you start to get cramp or muscle weakness get your potasssium checked- you are approaching the point where depletion can occur
    When I'd had enough of the grain and starched based 'diabetic eating for health' diet (eating for health, my ass!) my weight was 242.5 lbs. On starting primal- 18th April 2013 weight : 238.1.
    27th July 2013. weight after 100 days 136.9 weight lost 101.2lb ; that's 105.6lbs since I stopped the 'diabetic eating for health'
    new journal http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ml#post1264082

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CarbDodger View Post

for Casey- i also feel glorious in ketosis but if you start to feel unwell ,particularly if you start to get cramp or muscle weakness get your potasssium checked- you are approaching the point where depletion can occur
    2nd that - I had that happen very fast on lowest carbs. I went back to eating fruit and it went away within days.

Alykat is offline Member
    Casey - I personally find uncooked to undercooked animal foods work best. It is key to gut bacteria. I've read the primal book by Andreas V. (His last name spelling I don't know off top my head). I stick with fish mostly though, undercooked game meat burgers (barely heated outside). That guy eats only meat most time and its never cooked. And if anything it will give you courage to have steak tartar :-)

So you cut out most produce bc they bloat you, no matter how prepared? Or is it you do best on almost no carb (produce) lifestyle dealing with weight & menopause?

Are you adding fat to your diet ? I've never tried this but adding 1 tbl (minimum) coconut oil with warm water helps things move along.

If you have stool (guessing they are tiny and small quantity, easy to pass?) every other day that is better than some who eat produce everyday!
    Ugh I read more often than not meat rots in your gut if your bowels are not moving really well, then I read most meat is absorbed and used in the body so stools are just bacteria if there is no fiber BUT yo must have stool. I'd like to see evidence of either side.

I personally find fruit bc they are so naturally water rich to make easier bowels. Cooked proteins really mess with my bowels (straining to put it lightly). High fiber veg really messes with my gut and actually makes it harder on the bowels. If I cook the veg I barely have bowels moving. So if fruit isn't so bad I'd say fruit and undercooked meats, raw eggs, raw fish are great for top to bottom digestion.
    Last edited by Alykat; 07-31-2013 at 07:48 AM.

Alykat is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by GiGiEats View Post
    The only carbohydrates I eat are from veggies, and I have to eat minimal veggies in order to feel good, when I follow this approach, which is... uh, ALWAYS - with the exception I eating too many veggies sometimes, I feel fantastic!! Oh and of course I load on the fat!!
    Gigi- please give example of your daily diet? How much and which meats, veg, fats a day?

Alykat is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwigal View Post
    I also am allergic to carbs. The same exact thing happens to me!!

Grassiness, fatigue, brain fog

I feel sick and just awful.

My diet consists of protein, high fat and veggies. I'm also hoping for some gut healing to take place!!!!

I fell like that with cooked carbs only. Raw fruits do the opposite. Are you cooking your veg or eating them raw? I believe healing the gut needs veg to be steamed - not raw?

Page 4 of 9 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast