Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Adventures of Teen Grok. Going Primal against all odds. page

TeenGrok is offline Junior Member

Talking The Adventures of Teen Grok. Going Primal against all odds.

Shop Now
    Hi Everyone, I'm Jhana! But you can call me Teen Grok (Even though I'm a girl). I'm gonna start by saying how much of a wonderful inspiration this forum and Mark have been. I was pretty sure I had found the perfect exercise regime. Simple, to the point, bodyweight exercises that require only hard work and determination. But there was one small problem... The NUTRITIONAL aspect of leading a healthier lifestyle. I was relentlessly browsing around trying to find good nutritional plans that didn't sound like they would break my wallet. "Organic this, Low fat that, No Sugar blah blah blah." Being a teenager, I have a limited amount of money lol... My mother isn't gonna dish out extra money to buy "lean chicken breast" ALL the time, which apparently is the only meat 'healthy' people ever eat. (BTW I hate Chicken breast... the texture annoys me)

I would have to dish out more money on "Whole grains"(Pita bread, bagels Oatmeal). Which incidentally are more expensive... I would then have to spend time cooking these perfectly portioned meals... That's just not practical for me. Did I mention that my family isn't very keen on that? So I would have to cook every meal for myself and miss out on the delicious meals my mother cooks.

My mother uses EV Coconut Oil... not because of the health benefits but because it tastes soo good. We live nearby a coconut place so its always fresh and definitely natural. We eat natural meats. Not Because of health benefits, but because its delicious. For example for dinner tonight I had Steak with onions, Steamed mixed vegges and buttery Steamed Callalloo (Its a Jamaican leafy green vegetable). There was also boiled potato, yam and green bananas, oh and dumplings. This would have been a perfect Primal Meal minus the starches. Well, thank goodness I found this. Because I've never been a "diet" kind of girl... I love meat... I would eat it all day if I could... And my family is never short of fresh meat. The Supermarket is just up the road and they actually cut your meat to order. So you see when they're chopping up the animal for you. I've always eaten those unhealthy carbs... Grains, rice, corn, bread etc. Thinking they were good for you. I thought peanuts were good for you as well. This site has definitely opened my eyes to alot of things. And I think I'm ready to take a step forward. (I hope you're still with me )

Being 17 years old and in high school, I'm a little insecure about my appearance. I want to look and feel my best. I've always had terrible sleeping habits and I have small amount of energy in the day. I barely get through my classes because I'm always tired/groggy/lousy feeling. I currently weigh about 155 pounds, and I'm 5'4" tall. According to the BMI formula, I'm overweight. Now seriously... what teen wants to be overweight. I've always shied away from playing sports I like because I feel people are gonna pick on me/pick me last because I'm heavier. (Wow that was hard to admit) But yeah.. I'm a Sergeant in the cadet corps in my Country and when I go on hikes/camps I don't want to do PT in the mornings (Physical Training). For fear of embarrassing myself in front of the younger cadets. (I should be a role model for them right?) And when we go on hikes I'm always trailing at the back. With the excuse of bringing up the rear. When deep down I want to be up front with the guys leading everyone with energy and vigor! So its definitely not just about "looking better" or "losing weight" Its about being healthy. And I've finally found a realistic way for me to do this. I don't have a goal weight. Because I intend to go through with this for the rest of my life. So my goal weight is whatever I happen to be when I'm healthier. I do have goals however.

My goals are definitely fitness related though. And directly related to the best fitness plan I have ever seen. Its called You Are Your Own Gym by Mark Lauren. I'm not going to go about pimping anyone's product, but this book is extremely good. I actually stumbled across the book on a torrent website, and it was through THAT forum that I came to know about the Primal Blueprint. I think both books complement each other in a major way. And is it a coincidence that they're both named Mark? I think nooot But yes, Mark Lauren's ideas about fitness in terms of the exercises to perform are almost identical to Mr. Sisson's. YAYOG (as its affectionately called) is a very detailed book of 125 exercises hat focus on 4 main things. Push/ Pull/ Core/ Legs. IT. IS. AMAZING. All the exercises can be done in your own home with simple household items. So you guys can mosey on over to marklauren.com and have a look see. Definitely tell me what you think. If you have read this far, thank you so much for reading, and I hope you will accompany me on what will probably be the biggest deal in my life so far. Feedback is always welcome, I'm still learning alot, so any tips are appreciated.

FUN FACT:This is the most I've ever typed outside of academia.

-Teen Grok

billp is offline Senior Member
    Well, I'm going to reply, even if all those other stuffy people are going to ignore you. I never was in Jamaica but I was in Vanuatu, which I think is similar climate and lots of yams get eaten. I remember the beef was really good, all grass fed. I am never sure of the difference between a yam and a sweet potato. I love the energy transformation from eating meat and fat - walking all day with no lunch. I bet you find yourself nearer the front of the hike now. I will look into this Mark Lauren stuff. This may not be the politically correct thing to say on a fitness forum, but in a gym I just don't like smelling all the other people's sweat. I would rather be outdoors. I don't have any specific feedback or advice because I am not an expert, but it sounds the part.

That's the most you have written outside academia? You write well. Write a book. Everyone should today to build a good reputation and to become better known, as we as to earn extra money. You can publish it on Lulu free (Self Publish a Book - Lulu.com) and Amazon will sell it, and for each one sold they print one specially and send you the proceeds. If you can knock out 895 words at a time it will be finished in no time.

Thank you for the feedback and for the compliment on my writing
    Well today was my first official day of the Primal Blueprint lifestyle. For breakfast I had an omelette and a tomato and an orange. Suffice it to say, I wasn't hungry throughout the day however which has never happened before, usually by 11/12 I'm dying of hunger. But I never felt remotely hungry until about 3 PM. I'm not entirely sure what I'm gonna eat for dinner but it will probably be chicken and stir fry vegges
    -TeenGrok

Oh, I ate another omelette with stir fry vegetables and an orange and cucumber and tomato. I must say that I have alot of energy! wow!! I actually jumped on my bed, as in, off the ground in one leap. I did a full regular pushup which is progress. This diet is amazing and I can feel the difference!

Hedonist is offline Senior Member
    Welcome. Glad you are off to a good start.

Most people here don't particularly like chicken breast. The "less desirable" parts are better for you. True of other animals too. Ultra-lean steak isn't as good for you as variety cuts.

If you need to lose fat, you do need to restrict carbs, probably just between 50 & 100 grams/day. Starchy vegetables such as potatoes are not bad for you, IMHO. Our ancestors have always eaten them.
    Ancestral Health Info

I design websites and blogs for a living. If you would like a blog or website designed by someone who understands Primal, see my web page.

Primal Blueprint Explorer My blog for people who are not into the Grok thing. Since starting the blog, I have moved close to being Archevore instead of Primal. But Mark's Daily Apple is still the best source of information about living an ancestral lifestyle.

Yes, I agree with you completely! ^^

Dirlot is offline Senior Member
    Enjoy the journey!
    Eating primal is not a diet, it is a way of life.
    PS
    Don't forget to play!

Bron is offline Senior Member
    You sure do have a wise head on your shoulders

Thank you so much for the compliment Bron! I think a part of it has to do with my inherent skepticism... But when something speaks to me I'm not skeptical about it, and this is what happened with PB. I knew it made sense because it just... felt right... and I felt no urge to argue or counteract anything that was said. My brain easily identifies flaws in logic... some people find it annoying, others find it refreshing... (I actually think its a pretty good judge of someone's character)

So, my pork chops are thawing in the kitchen now, my intended breakfast is fried pork chops and sauteed vegetables in pork fat. Water, and perhaps another orange. Oh, my mother actually has some real pork fat stored in the fridge in a jar, that she drained off some ham So i definitely intend to make use of it!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast