Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How to prepare to walk 100 km in 24 hours? page 2

NWPrimate is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    No advice, just admiration. You're going to remember this for the rest of your life.

Turnstone is offline Senior Member
    Thanks for all your good tips, suggestions and wishes!

For those interested, the event is called "Horizontale Jena" (the web page is in German, only). We walk through the hills one time around the German city Jena. So there are parts of the way which are relatively flat, but we have to go up and down the hills several times. I expect forest trails where you have to watch your step because of roots and stones, but nothing which requires special skills or heavy boots.

The last couple of days I did some walking to see where I am right now. Friday 9 kms in flat terrain, I needed about 2 hours (inkl. shopping for eggs at my local farmer). I wore my new Trail Gloves, and after that my feet and legs hurt a bit. Saturday 11,5 kms in hilly terrain. 2:45 hours, inkl searching for one Geocache. My feet felt better and get used to the new shoes, and I was a little bit tired but not as much as friday. Later in the evening I did another short 3.5 kms without problems. Yesterday 4.2 kms in easy (but not completely flat) terrain, 45 mins. A good speed, but I doubt I can keep it for much more than 2 hours. And I developed a heavy soreness in my glutes. Now I know which muscle I need to work on

I will build up my walking distance each week. 5 kms more each week and I will have done at least one 50 kms walk before the event. I guess sprinting for endurance and strength training are more important, but knowing that I can do 50 kms without much problems will help me with the mental parts of this challenge. I read a few articles from people who did the walk in former years, and after 50-60 kms all that counts is your willpower and stamina...

Plus I can figure out how and what to eat on long distances. I have a 2 l bottle similar to a camelbak, and I am planning to bring a 0.5 l Nalgene bottle to make iskiate (water mixed with chia seeds, lime and raw cane sugar). I want to bring my own energy bars (similar to the recipe Mark posted in his blog), but I have to figure out if my body can handle them after hours of walking.

Does anyone has a suggestion how to handle the breaks? I read that some people just grab something to eat and drink and walk on. Sitting down on the provided benches seems like a not so good idea. Laying down for 10 minutes with the feet elevated feels like the right thing to do, but I am not sure.

Jayant S is offline Junior Member
    Sounds really interesting!

Sitting down on a bench .... not the best thing to do, but how about deep-squatting for a couple of minutes? Seems to work for me. Mark has a video somewhere.

Jreyes2265 is offline Member
    This is how you prepare:

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Calorie Counter

Good point, Jreyes2265! But I guess I only need it on longer preparation walks and on the big day.

walkerlori is offline Junior Member
    Hi!
    I just completed a 12 hour event last weekend. I did 40 miles without any bagels, pasta or muffins!
    I ate bananas with almond butter, grapes, lara bars and a baked yam sprinkled with sea salt. I also popped an electrolyte pill every hour. And lots of water.
    My next event is a 50 mile race in April. I'll stick to the same food plan.
    Good luck, you can do it!

pace2race is offline Senior Member
    Regarding treatment of blisters nothing works better for me than a diaper rash cream like Desitin. As far as training goes you need time on your feet and getting used to walking while tired. Back to back long hikes on the weekend. The second days hike will begin to show problems with the gear you are using or weakness in your strength or walking form that will appear when you get tired. You just keep going. Good luck and have an awesome time!

OK, tomorrow is the day. I am not as good prepared as I wanted to be, but if my knee won't hurt too much I guess I can do it! Wish me luck!

billp is offline Senior Member
    Viel Glück!

zoebird is online now Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I can't wait to read how the event went for you.

DH and I ahve talked about doing the event in Taupo next year (i think it's for oxfam or a similar organization) which sounds amazing. it's flat/hilly but considered quite a nice walk.

but then we remember that someone has to watch the kiddo.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast