Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Knee Hurts During Squats page

Transmutable is offline Junior Member

Knee Hurts During Squats

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    When I do wall squats, my left knee hurts (which is kind of weird, considering the right one is the one that had massive infection and almost killed me two years ago - that one is perfectly fine). The pain is along the outside curve of my kneecap and feels kind of like a pinch. It feels like I need to crack my knee or need to reseat something and then it would be fine.

I also have a question about the number of reps... before I was Primal I was occasionally (once a monthish) doing squats with a bar. I can do about two sets of 12 reps... am I really supposed to do 50?!

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    I'll answer your second question first. YUP! And maybe even more! You'll get there. Just take your time.

As for your knee hurting there is obviously a lot of things I don't know about your knee (as well as body build, age, general fitness, weight, etc which can all play in there) But I do deal with some knee pains myself as here are some things that help my knees that I can see would hurt your any if you wanted to give them a try.
    1) I have to keep my hamstrings stretched a bit. If I let them get really tight it makes my knee hurt.
    2) I have to keep my IT band rolled out (I use a foam roller. Hurts like hell for the first week or so and then it starts to not hurt while rolling so much!) or my left knee starts popping.
    3) Sometimes if my knee is just not quite right I can lock my knee back so that my kneecap is loose and then use my hand to just wiggle my knee cap up and down and side to side a bit and it feels better. Don't know exactly what is up with that.

And finally if you can't figure it out I recommend a trip to your doctor and/or a physical therapist. I went to my doc (for the knee popping), she sent m to the PT, I went to one session with the PT who gave me some exercises, stretches, foam rolling, etc and in about 10 days my knee quit popping. So it's worth a try!

Coach Palfrey is offline Senior Member

Sol y Sombra is offline Senior Member
    This sounds like me - pain along the outside of my left knee that feels like a pinch when I squat or do lunges, tends to get a little better after the first set of reps. Only I know I have advanced osteoarthritis in that knee... I know I am mildly knock-kneed and that together with my lifelong overweight/obesity plus a childhood injury produced the arthritis in my left knee. The fact I am knock-kneed means my knee joints don't rub properly - the cartilage on the outside gets worn out and that's where the pain is, seems logical. So maybe you have this structural deformity too. I don't know what advice to give you. I am experimenting with squats and lunges myself, but still taking it easy, trying to see what hurts and what doesn't.

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I have slight pain in my left knee too. When you do squats make sure your knees don't go further forward than your feet. It's harder to stay balanced, but everything I've read says if your knees go too far forward it's easier to injure yourself.

Jay_in_TX is offline Junior Member
    keep your femurs in-line with your toes. Point your toes out approximately 30 degrees or so, forcing your knees out there too on both the up and the down motion. Get Rippetoe's book, and then squat like you've never squatted before. Thank me later.

I find that my feet have to be almost parallel to avoid the pain my left knee, 30 degrees is too much, but it's an individual thing, I guess. Anyway, stretching can help, I suppose, but it would make even more sense to have the knee evaluated by an orthopedic surgeon to make sure there's nothing more serious going on. I experienced my knee getting worse and worse over the years (I injured it at age 13 and am 34 now), didn't get help, did little exercise, but my weight kept creeping up. Last year things started to get out of hand, so I saw a doctor - it was a huge shock to find out I had osteoarthritis. I guess it could have been avoided if I had taken better care of that knee earlier on and in general taken care of my weight. (this is to the OP, of course, but also to anyone with knee issues)

Danielle5690 is offline Senior Member
    I would go to a physical therapist before an orthopedic surgeon. Know that saying, "if all you have is a hammer, everything looks like a nail"? If you don't want surgery, don't go to a surgeon until you've exhausted every other option.

I haven't experienced it yet but I've seen several people around here mention that when you strengthen the surrounding muscles, knee pain goes away.

Second the physical therapist and the strengthening of muscles Still, the problem could be more serious than that (of course, if it only just appeared out of the blue and was not there for years, it's probably nothing much).

Anyway, I would be grateful for any tips on squatting and lunges myself I am desperate to strengthen my leg muscles more, my left leg is visibly thinner and feels weaker than my right one (due to prolonged wasting of the muscle because of the knee injury, I guess), but I regard this as a cosmetic issue. I am more interested in increasing strength and stability for the time being.

MrRoberts is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Transmutable View Post
    When I do wall squats, my left knee hurts (which is kind of weird, considering the right one is the one that had massive infection and almost killed me two years ago - that one is perfectly fine). The pain is along the outside curve of my kneecap and feels kind of like a pinch. It feels like I need to crack my knee or need to reseat something and then it would be fine.

I also have a question about the number of reps... before I was Primal I was occasionally (once a monthish) doing squats with a bar. I can do about two sets of 12 reps... am I really supposed to do 50?!
    My mother had that years ago. Left knee would crack hard when bent down and she couldn't get up easily.

The solution isn't in the squat, but strengthen the LCL (Lateral Collateral Ligament) and MCL (Medial Collateral Ligament).

Plus, I changed my mother's diet since she ate too much calcium and omega-6 hence the knee cracking.

Once my mother's diet sorted out and the side knee ligaments strengthen, she was able to resume light squat in the range of 10-12 reps without any knee cracking issues.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast