Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vitamin D supplement page

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member

Vitamin D supplement

Primal Fuel
    Got some blood work back which indicated I should supplement w/ Vit D. Picked some up today at CVS not looking too carefully at the bottle... it has both soy and corn oil in it. Anyone have a brand they can recommend that doesn't have much added to it? Thanks.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Amazon.com: Nature's Answer Vitamin D-3 Drops 4000 IU, 0.5-Ounce: Health & Personal Care
    D3 suspended in olive oil, nothing else added. Each drop equals 2000 iu. I take 5 drops daily, on the back of my hand and lick it off. I think sublingual ingestion is superior to capsules which dissolve in the stomach.

You can get 10,000 iu of D3 by sitting in the sun for 1/2 hour.

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    D Drops, the Carlson Labs ones. Pretty cheap, and they use fractionated coconut oil only.

But you'll be taking so little of it that it's really not a big deal IMO.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

lorichka6 is offline Senior Member
    It's chilly outside this time of year in upstate NY Does the amount of skin exposed matter? I walk my dog each day for 45 minutes or so (as the sun rises) but this time of year all that shows is my face. I'd imagine you need a more substantial amount of skin showing for the 1/2 hour dose...?

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    The 10,000 IU/half hour thing is with most of your body exposed in full-summer sun. It doesn't apply at temperate latitudes in the winter with a coat on. You'd probably be lucky to make a few hundred IU in those conditions.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    I take Vit D in the winter just because I really suffer when the sun isn't shining. I had read that in the Western Hemisphere during the winter season people can suffer from Vit D deficiency. I feel great at the moment but I have changed so many things recently I'm not sure what I'd attribute it to! however I do know that there can be weeks and weeks where the skys are overcast and grey and we don't see the sun at all!

Anyways....like Uncephalised said...its such a small amount it really won't make that much difference.
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by lorichka6 View Post
    It's chilly outside this time of year in upstate NY Does the amount of skin exposed matter? I walk my dog each day for 45 minutes or so (as the sun rises) but this time of year all that shows is my face. I'd imagine you need a more substantial amount of skin showing for the 1/2 hour dose...?
    Yes, amount of skin exposed matters, as well as time of day, and even temperature. My doc (who is an enlightened sort, not CW sort) says skin temperature also affects vitamin D production. Your skin needs to be warm or to make D at max production. If the sun is low, you're mostly covered, and what little skin you have exposed is cold, you are likely getting no D at all from the sun.

Stevenhamley is offline Senior Member
    Sorry to further disappoint but you might be making any. This time of the year I suspect the UV index in NY is 1-2, in which case there may not be the UVB waves that tend to be present when the UV index is 3+

jammies is offline Senior Member
    I love the natures answer drops in olive oil. I could not get my d levels up for over a year until I switched to that brand. IHerb carries it.
    Using low lectin/nightshade free primal to control autoimmune arthritis. (And lost 50 lbs along the way )

http://www.krispin.com/lectin.html

Unamused Mouse is offline Senior Member

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast