Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhinitis/sinusitis from grains? page

Sunnivara is offline Senior Member

Rhinitis/sinusitis from grains?

I have had rhinitis/sinusitis my whole life. Finally got allergy tested and it was determined I am allergic to cats. This was blamed for my chronic rhinitis. Funny thing is, when I'm around cats, I don't notice anything. I don't sneeze or get a runny nose. The only thing I notice is that if I pet one and then rub my eyes they get a little itchy.
    Besides, I don't have a cat and am rarely around others' cats.
    So when I asked my allergist why I continue to have rhinitis/sinusitis when I'm not around cats he just shrugged and said I must have "non-allergic rhinitis" which, to me, means he has no clue.
    I had read a couple stories online about people resolving sinus problems after cutting wheat from their diet. My allergist won't test for food allergies because he believes if I was allergic to a food I would know it instantly, such as hives, rash, or anaphylactic shock. He doesn't believe in food "sensitivities" or "intolerance".
    So my question is, have any of you found relief from chronic upper respiratory ailments by cutting grains?

Kakes is offline Senior Member
    It's a little early to tell, but my husband's allergies and exercise induced asthma haven't bothered him much (if at all) since we went Primal at the beginning of the year. We have high hopes for this coming spring!
    You don't have to be sick to get better.
    Female, 31 years old, 5'8"
    Primal start: 1/2/2012
    My Primal Journal
    Living, loving and learning.

Analog6 is offline Senior Member
    Terranora, far north coast NSW, Australia
    Yes, I was exactly like you, except they told me I was allergic to horses - we bred them at the time! - but it was only when I gave up all gluten containing products that it went. I have not had any symptoms since then (Sept 2005).
    Odille
    F 58 / 170cms / SW 131.5 kgs / Current 112.4/ GW 65
    following Primal Lifestyle and swimming my way to health

My Primal Blog / Photo Blog / RedBubble shop / My Calendars / My Facebook

honeybuns is offline Senior Member
    As soon as I gave up grains I could breathe freely out of both nostrils for the first time in many, many years. When I eat corn they slam shut immediately. Other grains stop me right back up but more gradually than corn does.
    Of all the paths you take in life, make sure a few of them are dirt.

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    My husband and I went 100% primal in January, prior to that we were 80% for about 18 months. I think I am seeing an improvement but the allergies haven't completely gone away. I have a long history of sinus issues; polyps, sinus infections and allergies. I had a sinus infection from October until January and went through 3 rounds of antibiotics and steroids and nothing worked. When we went primal in January and I still could not breath through my nose I decided to take another approach, I wont go into all the details, but suffice to say I used colloidal silver, vitamin C and xylitol sinus spray. I can now breath through my nose but I still have occasional days where I need to take some sort of allergy pill. My husband is not snoring as much as he was.
    I suspect that my allergies are environmental ie., our dogs or maybe a mold. On the whole I feel like our allergy symptoms have decreased since we went 100% primal.

EileenC is offline Junior Member
    My husband has a history of chronic sinus headaches and infections. He is not on the primal bandwagon with me (major sugary tea and daily snickers habits), but because I pack his lunches for work and prepare his other meals at home for him, he seldom has a non-paleo meal. Last week at work, they ordered pizza in, which he'd not had for months. He pigged out, and paid for it with a whopping sinus headache that lasted the entire weekend. He hadn't had one in months. But he insists there's no connection.

SeanM is offline Senior Member
    I've definitely been sleeping better. The apnea is gone.

bluebird123 is offline Junior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by EileenC View Post
    My husband has a history of chronic sinus headaches and infections. He is not on the primal bandwagon with me (major sugary tea and daily snickers habits), but because I pack his lunches for work and prepare his other meals at home for him, he seldom has a non-paleo meal. Last week at work, they ordered pizza in, which he'd not had for months. He pigged out, and paid for it with a whopping sinus headache that lasted the entire weekend. He hadn't had one in months. But he insists there's no connection.
    My experience is very similar to your husband's. At least once every several weeks, I would get the debilitating headaches, slight nausea and tiredness. I haven't had the symptoms since switching to Paleo/Primal (it has been over a year).

paleo-bunny is offline Senior Member
    Yes I had chronic rhinitis until I cut out all grains apart from white rice.

Now I only get occasional rhinitis plus low blood pressure attacks when I eat too many foods high in histamine, and sometimes still experience a short attack lasting about 30 mins at about 3 pm when I'm subjected to poor air quality (air con, lots of computers/electronics).
    Last edited by paleo-bunny; 03-17-2012 at 10:50 AM. Reason: grammar
    F 5 ft 3. HW: 196 lbs. Primal SW (May 2011): 182 lbs (42% BF)... W June '12: 160 lbs (29% BF) (UK size 12, US size 8). GW: ~24% BF - have ditched the scales til I fit into a pair of UK size 10 bootcut jeans. Currently aligning towards 'The Perfect Health Diet' having swapped some fat for potatoes.

Adrianag is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Yes, sinusitis disappeared when i dropped grains. Cheat and it returns.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast