Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journal of a Sugar Addict - can I beat the sugar demons? page

Journal of a Sugar Addict - can I beat the sugar demons?

Primal Fuel
    I am a sugar addict...

I've known this for a while now but its really been sinking in recently and I want to do something about it. I have an old blog but I've decided to start a new one with a focus on sugar. I think I have primal pretty down now so sugar is what I'm targeting. The last post on the other blog was about starting a whole 30. That didn't go too badly but we were away for several weekends so it wasn't as good as it should have been. I also managed to derail it completely last week with a sugar binge...

Last Thursday I had a really good outcome from some things at work do decided to treat myself to some green and blacks dark chocolate. That's not too bad you say! Well, eating a few squares would have been fine. I ate 3/4 of the bar... Once chocolate is in front of me its like I can't stop. I know that it makes me feel ill but that doesn't deter me. I get a bit of a rumbly stomach and feel a bit rubbish. So, I try to stick to one or two squares as I'm ok with that but that very rarely ever happens.

Anyway, through the month my weight didn't shift at all but I felt good. Nice and clear and feeling strong. I felt quite tired for a while at the end of Jan and wasn't recovering well from the gym so I upped my carbs and my recovery improved a lot. I think that may have impacted on weightloss though so I'm considering cutting them back a bit to see if it helps - i'll do it slowly and keep an eye on my recovery. I've now gone two months without losing so I'd like to get that going again.

My biggest problem though is that since my sugar binge last week, my sugar demons have returned.

Getting the chocolate was such a bad idea. I ate waay too much and went kind of hyperactive. (Thankfully my husband thinks its cute...) When I went to bed I didn't sleep well and ended up tossing and turning all night while being too hot and sweating bucket loads - I haven't had a night like it since going primal!

In the morning, I was pretty much awake when my alarm went off so I just got up and headed into work. But ugh, I could feel the remnants of the sugar high - I wasn't quite regulating my temperature correctly (felt a bit sweaty sitting on the stuffy bus) and the best description of how I felt was hungover... All that from some "harmless" sugar. Harmless my ****!

Since that night a week ago, I've had more chocolate and sweet stuff than in the last two months combined. Suddenly, rather than thinking "no, I shouldn't have any" I've started thinking "just a bit will be fine, one or two truffles won't be a problem", "just a wee bit of chocolate is ok" and "I've been so good for so long I'm sure I don't have a problem anymore so I can have a bit and it will be fine." Well, I was wrong and I do still have a problem. A big problem!

In this journal I'm hoping to keep myself accountable, and give myself a bit of a boost for giving up sugar completely. I can't quite imagine never having cake or sweets again, but I think I need to consider that so I'll chart my journey here.

Hopefully along the way I'll learn a bit more about how to keep my sugar demons away, and beat this addiction!

Sugar is my nicotine...

kcarol is offline Senior Member
    Awwww. I feel for you. I AM you. What's helped...finding sweet treats that are primal-friendly. Keep looking up recipes!

One thing I discovered on here was banana ice cream (I just finished eating sweet potato pancakes too).

How To Make Creamy Ice Cream with Just One Ingredient! | The Kitchn

You're on your way! It gets easier.

anjelevil is offline Senior Member
    And to chime in..I am you as well..personally,the only thing that works is nothing to do with sweetness,fruit sends me off and I end up back on the chocolate or other sweet things..I know that I can not use rewards with sugar and even primal sweet treats throw me off the deep end.I was eating mascarpone with toasted coconut,vanilla and some jam that is not sweet..every time it made me go backwards.
    I hope you are able to get your sugar demon under control.

Thank you both for posting! Its always good to know you're not the only one

The banana ice-cream looks so good that I've already thrown one in the freezer so I can try it out over the weekend. Some sweet primal treats seem to be ok for me, but many aren't so I'm hoping this will be fine. I'm going to try making it with one banana and sharing it with my husband first to gauge it.

Anjelevil - I'm with you. Fruit seems to be enough to set me off as well. The odd bit after I've been to the gym is ok (I think) but any more than that and it sets the whole train in motion. Its been so difficult trying to wean myself off seeing sweet food as a treat and something that is necessary when celebrating. We're getting better but the habit is still there. So often after a hard day at work I start thinking about picking up a bottle of wine and desert from the shops on my way home and its a struggle to mentally stop myself. I've had to give dh strict instructions that he's not to buy me sweet treats any more. Flowers and cheese are his main options now :P If I have a strict "not allowed" approach I do ok, but if I let myself have a little then its all downhill.

For the past week or two I've been feeling like I've been getting a bit of a sugar high in the afternoons at work. I didn't pay it too much attention until yesterday when it was really bad. I've got a blood glucose monitor and normally I sit around the mid 70s (4.2 - 4.5mmol/l). It had gone up to just over 100 (5.9mmol/l) only 45minutes after lunch! I was completely stumped as I'd had my usual meat and salad for lunch, and then I realised that I had olive oil and balsamic vinegar. And I had liberally drenched my salad with the balsamic because its sooo tasty. Well, I checked the label and sure enough - 25% sugars. Eeeep! It was a bit of a duh moment as I know that its essentially made from wine and grape juice but that had never translated in my head to sugar laden. D'oh! Today, I had a very similar lunch without the balsamic, my blood sugars stayed firmly in the 70s and I felt so much better

Sugar is my nicotine...

I am making a mental note to avoid the balsamic..I never would have thought of it.
    I find weekends are often a struggle for me with the sugar.I can get through the week because I have structure and then all hell can break loose when down time comes.
    I was hoping to do some gluten free baking with my 5 year old this weekend but I am fearful of having it in the house..might have to wait until the end of the 30 days before I try some baking.
    Amazingly,I have goat's milk ice cream in the freezer and I haven't gone near it,my sugar cravings seem under control at the minute.
    Hope you got some nice cheese and flowers for the weekend!

I got some lovely cheese thanks! And well done on avoiding the ice-cream, you're doing well!

I've not done too badly. A glass or two of wine on Friday night but nothing with added sugar (that I'm aware of). I made some coconut flour brownies tonight which have a bit of honey in them, but they have so much cream and cream cheese in them that I don't think small amount of honey is too bad... They are incredibly tasty though - having a wee taste now!

We are flying out on a snowboarding holiday on Saturday and are planning our primal picnic box for the journey out. We went to the same resort last year and know that it will be a long time between hitting the airport at 6.30am in the UK and actually getting dinner on the other side. There was only one stall with food at Grenoble last year and it only sold baguettes so we don't want to be stuck with no other choice! We're planning on taking some lamb roast, cheese and primal brownies as a treat. With all of that we shouldn't be tempted by anything we see A bit of planning seems to go a long way to nipping cravings in the bud so that's my plan of attack.

Unfortunately, being in a French ski village is probably going to present its own challenges but I'll see how I go. We're going to be doing a lot of exercise while we're there so I'm planning on relaxing some things as otherwise there is no way I'll make it through the week with enough energy. The chalet knows that we want to eat gluten free and have been wonderful about it. They've suggested we go through the meal plan with them when we arrive so hopefully we'll nip any problems in the bud then. We'll probably end up eating more rice and potatoes than normal, but I think the energy required will justify that. Also, while we don't avoid dairy we don't eat a lot so I think our cheese intake might increase. Well, my cheese intake might increase! I looove cheese but dh isn't so keen. Hopefully avoiding the bread won't be too difficult. And as far as puddings go, I'll have to see what we get offered while there. There will be dessert every night in the chalet so I'll decide as I go. I'd love to say that I won't have any but I think that's unlikely and last year the food was awesome so I don't really want to limit myself. One week isn't going to make a huge difference. One good thing that we noticed last year was that it wasn't difficult to get decent food on the mountain provided you didn't mind high fat - potatoes in a cheese sauce covered in grilled cheese anyone? Last year, we were horrified, this year I think we'll tuck in!

Sugar is my nicotine...

Have fun in France!Enjoy the cheese!

fiercehunter is offline Banned
    I have a pretty bad sweet tooth for sure- some ideas on how to reduce:
    1. do intermittent fasting
    PDF Ebook The Fast-5 Diet and the Fast-5 Lifestyle | Free PDF Ebooks Files @AcrobatPlanet.Com
    2. walk, reduce chronic cardio- just makes you hungrier
    3. do a few days a week of atkins fat fast- 1-3- no carbs helps reduce the carb addiction
    Atkins Article : The Fat Fast

jenn26point2 is online now Senior Member
    Sugar addict here as well. It's nothing for me to drink 40 oz of Mt. Dew, eat 2 or 3 candy bars and a boat load of fruit in a day. Today would have been my 3rd day sugar free, but I had a 3 or 4 mini-marshmallows before I realized what I was doing.

Sugar is a hard thing to combat and I wish you luck. I'll be doing the same.

Hey everyone and thanks for the encouragement!

France was great and I definitely helped myself to plenty of cheese, however, I also helped myself to plenty of things that I shouldn't have... There were some pretty awful bits diet-wise and some pretty goods things that came from it as well.

For the first few days our diet was poor. The food that we ate was reasonable quality but it wasn't as well balanced as we would normally eat. There were a lot of carbs (potatoes mainly) served in the chalet and for lunch on the mountain and far from enough protein. It was also pretty low on fat and generally it was just not enough. We realised at the end of the second day boarding that our muscles were running low on energy and they weren't tired from too much work, it was a fatigue due to too little fuel. We made a point of getting a big steak with lots of greens and some chips (unfortunately the best carb source we could get) and the difference in our energy was amazing. Both of us could feel it even just on our way back up the mountain in the lift. After that, we made a point of supplementing our evening meal in the chalet with good lunches and food from the supermarket if necessary. The good thing from this is that it made a very clear point in our heads about how much of a difference food makes in a short amount of time, and in future we will be much more careful about what we arrange for holidays.

I drank too much wine. There was red wine on the table and I had a glass or two every evening. Not too much, but I haven't drunk much wine for a while now and I think it was enough to help everything go a bit out of whack.

The next mistake we made was having croissants one morning. They looked so good. We were in France for this first time since going Primal. They were straight from the oven of the local patisserie. They were still warm and beautifully flaky. They were delicious. The reasons that we ate them go on! I genuinely thought that they wouldn't cause us too much of a problem as they were very buttery, and I didn't think they had too much flour in them. I don't seem to have too much of an immediate reaction to gluten so I thought it would be a worthwhile cheat. How wrong could I be I felt it all day and it made me feel really bad, to the extent that I didn't eat anything else until much later once it had cleared out of my system. One good thing however, was that my reaction was so bad I think it will forever mean that I avoid croissants. My brain now shouts "not worth it!" at me. A good electric shock moment so not all bad (might not have explained my electric shock theory - will do later!).

I guess another mistake was eating puddings. We don't do puddings at home much but there were lots while we were away as the chalet makes them every night. It actually felt a bit wrong eating so many, so I guess that indicates that my preferences are changing which is good. But, too much sugar in general which just makes me feel bad.

One good thing is that I quickly realised that sugar when I came off the mountain was definitely affecting me and I managed to turn it down several times. Go me! There were cakes (and special gluten free ones for dh and myself) which I ate the first two days and then actually turned down and didn't eat after that. My brain is finally starting to associate sugary things with feeling bad. Its taking time and doesn't kick in on everything (chocolate would be the main one...brain still shouts "yummy!" at chocolate!) but it is getting there - baby steps

Fiercehunter, you mentioned IF and I find that it about the only thing that makes a big difference for me. It cuts my cravings substantially and I feel great when I only eat one or two meals a day. Unfortunately, eggs at breakfast were one of the few good things to eat at the chalet so I didn't get any IF all week. I'll start again tomorrow (I tend to do 16/8) and can't wait to get back into it.

I think the main good thing to come out of the week is that I'm looking forward to ditching the sugar, wine and "bad" carbs again and getting back to primal goodness and IF. Even though we avoided the worst of the food (we ate no bread, pasta, pizza or processed food!) we still didn't eat optimally and I can feel it. I thought the exercise would protect me a bit, but it hasn't completely and I want to feel good again. Primal is clearly making an impact on me, and 6 months in its becoming my natural eating habit. Here's hoping it won't take another full week to undo the damage. Sugar will be gone from tomorrow again so I'll have to see how I go with cravings. It will be interesting to see what diving off the wagon will do. Right now, I'm feeling like I'm done with sugar and I don't want to feel crap so it will be gone from my diet tomorrow never to be seen again. Somehow, I suspect that tomorrow night I will be fantasing about dark chocolate and macaroons... c'est la vie!

Sugar is my nicotine...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast