Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pork! (non religious perspective only please) page

leggman7 is offline Junior Member

Pork! (non religious perspective only please)

Primal Fuel
    As said in the title, please check your thoughts on it's religious "cleanliness" at the door.

I just found out yesterday that a couple we are having over for dinner thinks pork is unhealthy (as stated by their dietitian), because pigs are too much like humans. I think thats hogwash, but decided to do some searching to see if there exists research around the matter. So far I've found the following:

Pigs don't sweat - stupid reason and already well covered, please don't address this.
    bad omega 3/6 ratio - pastured is better, but I wasn't able to discover by how much.
    they eat las vegas buffet - as with all animals, grass fed/wild/small farm raised is better, obviously.
    Trichinosis - avoid by cooking your meat properly (internal temp of 144 or greater), which is pretty easy .

Are their any more valid concerns? Also, is there any available (useful) research which discusses this subject?

JennaRose is offline Senior Member
    I saw a post once on how cured/salted pork is better than not.

Is Bacon Actually BETTER For You? | Cave Girl Eats

there it is

GrokON is offline Senior Member
    I am interested in the responses to this. We eat quite a bit of pork, and I'd like to limit it because I feel the pigs' diet is much, much worse than cows' or chickens' feed. This is based on nothing factual or concrete.

I do know that pigs are less "herbivore" than cows, so maybe that is where it's stemming from.

I come from a family that raised a few pigs for personal consumption, and while cows and sheep grazed, the pigs got slop. Not sure what this translates to from a health perspective for us eating the pork, though.
    5'6" Female, 29 Years Old, 260/195/120

"Discipline is choosing between what you want NOW, and what you want MOST!"

Glockin Grok is offline Senior Member
    You hit the nail on the head...Trichinosis... That was the historical basis behind why some cultures shun it.

As far as I am concerend that is the only thing to worry about...

Oh wait was this my dinner from 3 nights ago???? Tell me that doesnt make you want some.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. How about a hand for the hog

I honestly believe there is too much fear of chicken and pork around here. If it bleeds, you can eat it. If it is harmless when dead, it's food. If it has a mother divebombing you while you steal it from the nest, you can eat it.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 170 x 3. Current Deadlift: 220 x 3

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I'm not afraid of pork, It's just low on the list of meat I'd eat when I actually have a choice. I'd rather have ruminant, seafood, or poultry before pork, with bacon being the one exception to that rule.

If you're buying CAFO pork, it is probably not the most healthful food. The animals are fed grains (and other crap), kept in unsanitary conditions and jacked up with nasty antibiotics and who knows what else, and somehow they are bred to have less fat and the fat they do have (as noted) isn't as good in O3:6. The mega-slaughterhouses are vile.

I just split a pastured pig with friends and cooked up a pork rib roast. Luscious bolts of fat. Wonderful color. Super juicy. Tasted better than any pork you can find in the store. Seriously, sometimes our taste buds tell us what's nutritious. Consider garden tomatoes versus the well-traveled grocery store imitation.

Just find a quality source and don't worry about pork being inherently unhealthy. It's not. As with anything else, it's all about what you eat eats.
    Last edited by Finnegans Wake; 03-01-2012 at 11:16 AM.

Martha is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    The Blog of Michael R. Eades, M.D. How about a hand for the hog

I honestly believe there is too much fear of chicken and pork around here. If it bleeds, you can eat it. If it is harmless when dead, it's food. If it has a mother divebombing you while you steal it from the nest, you can eat it.
    +1

Mike Eades is always a good read. Too bad he doesn't post very often these days. Kurt Harris, too. I marvel at Mark Sisson's ability to post relevant and highly readable posts so consistently, from week to week and year to year.

thanatos is offline Senior Member
    Ask them if they have issues with bacon. The amount of people who have issues with pork then tell you they love bacon is amazing. There was an episode of the simpsons where Lisa went vegetarian where this magical animal was discussed.

Can't seem to get the link in but search YouTube for simpsons magical animal.

@lex is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Martha View Post
    +1

Mike Eades is always a good read. Too bad he doesn't post very often these days. Kurt Harris, too. I marvel at Mark Sisson's ability to post relevant and highly readable posts so consistently, from week to week and year to year.
    The lack of Kurt Harris updates is a bit disheartening these days since he always posts great stuff. I think he started distancing himself from the paleo world and blogging when paleo 2.0 wasn't embraced in the way many people hoped it would be.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast