Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Smart meters page

sbhikes is offline Senior Member

Smart meters

Primal Fuel
    The local electric company plans to install smart meters. We don't want a smart meter because it will likely increase our electric bill. But I've heard a lot of things about health and environmental effects (like effects on bees). Our meter is directly next to our bed's headboard. We can't switch electric companies. There is only one so we have no choice. Our only options are to apply for an extension to the installation date and pressure the city council to block installation for the whole city. What says the MDA community about smart meters?
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

ChefGrok is offline Senior Member
    I saw an article mercola.com about eliminating all EM fields around you when you sleep. As far as the meters go, it's the first step in regulating how much energy you can consume, so we can be "green" and save the planet.

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Good luck. Our power company installed smart meters last summer. Haven't noticed any rise in our electric bill; however, the power company wanted to charge customers to dispose of the old meters. What a lot of nerve...considering that they had sold the meters to some third world country for a dollar a piece or some outrageously cheap price!

Yeah, ours wants to charge us to install it but we can't opt out of installation. The purpose of the meters is to charge you more during peak usage, which they now define as after work. They used to define peak usage as during the day. Now it's in the evening when we're actually home? It smells really fishy to me.

IvyBlue is offline Senior Member
    It is the first step toward charging you more for electricity when you need it most. Not a bad idea separate from any other consideration but when it's a program administered by a monopoly heavily regulated by government you're bound to get screwed down the road.

Sounds like you don't have a choice in having it installed but I wouldn't sleep w/ it next to my head. I'd move the bed or at least sleep the other way round.
    Wheat is the new tobacco. Spread the word.

keithpowers is offline Senior Member
    Two words: Faraday cage.
    Peak weight on Standard American Diet: 316.8 lbs
    Initial Weight When Starting Primal: 275 lbs
    Current weight: 210.8 lbs
    Goal weight: 220 lbs (or less): MISSION ACCOMPLISHED.

The way "ChooseMyPlate.gov" should have looked:
    ChooseMyPlate

We can't move the bed. It won't fit in the room any other way. We'd have to move it out of the city from what I understand about the range of the EMF. I joked maybe we could cover it with lead, you know those things they drape over you for X-rays. A few California cities and counties have banned them. I think pressuring the local government is our only recourse. If they really wanted to save energy they'd get businesses to turn off lights and copy machines after everybody goes home for the day.

I'm curious if anyone has ever had them installed and noticed any health effects. Some reports say that people get tinnitus and insomnia among other things but I never know if that is true.

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    I can't see how smart meters are any more deleterious to health than cell phones or the wiring in our homes or any other source of EMF of RF prevalant in society.

There are two ways that smart meters can increase your electric bill. The first is simply by replacing an old, stator watt meter that has slowed down. In this case, the smart meter has nothing to do with it...even if they replace a slow meter with another electromechanical meter that is accurate, your bill will increase as you'll actually be paying for what you used each month.

The second way is if they're using the smart meter in conjunction with TOU (time of use) billing. This is an incentive for you to use power off peak demand (not at the same time as everyone else) in order to a) prevent capacity short fall (it is not a given that a power utility can always make enough power for an increasingly power hungry society to use at the same time) and b) to keep the cost of power generation down (everyone wants power when and how they need it, but who wants a new powerplant of transmission line in their backyard).

Twould be more primal if society never became so technology dependent, of course. But smart meters are a relatively innoffensive advent, in the grand scheme of things.

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Hate them.

They're the reason I'm getting laid off in the next few months.

Thank you, stimulus money!
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

rosie1973 is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sbhikes, do you have an update on what happened with the smart meter?

I have recently discovered my sensitivities to EMF as well and luckily the city hasn't given everyone the smart meters yet. They're piloting them in a few suburbs and one city neighborhood, but it has stalled due to a few of them catching houses on fire.

I was listening to an interview of a doctor famous for his work in EMF on the human body and he said that if you go outside and bash the thing in, the electric company will come back and install another one once its discovered its broken. You can claim vandalism. After 3 times of bashing the thing in, they will install the old type again. Apparently this has been the only solution to the problem in that city. (not sure where...Seattle?)

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast