Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart meters page 3

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    We're supposed to be getting those smart meters at some stage the house we used to live in (way out in a small town in the middle of nowhere) got one first though (weird...I guess cause the meter guys don't wanna have to drive so far out so they do the more distant places first??). I'm not happy because the meter is also outside our bedroom (not so bad that it's right behind the bed... but close enough, to us and the kids).

Iron Fireling is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    When they come to install it just keep the door closed and say "fuck off".
    I dunno where you live, but where I live they're not gonna come in the house to install it In fact, odds are they'd get there and do it during the day when no one's home...

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Iron Fireling View Post
    I dunno where you live, but where I live they're not gonna come in the house to install it In fact, odds are they'd get there and do it during the day when no one's home...
    Yep. Most times the only way you know is that the clock on your coffeemaker is blinking. It only takes about a minute, and that's if you do it the right way.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Lynna is offline Senior Member
    Our power company installed our smart meter about 2 years ago. We had no say in the matter. Since our meter is on the outside of the front of our house, we didn't even have to be at home. There have been stories that they want to charge us for it even though it was forced upon us. Also, one of the news stories reported that the old meters were sold to a third world country for $1 a piece. People are not happy. Our electric bill went up, but more due to de-regulation that went into effect rather than a new meter.

Peak usage times are changing because "everybody" works during the day and does all their housework at night, so that's when the most electricity is used.

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    I'm calling BS on this 'smash the meter' or 'shoot the utility worker' nonsense. You don't go to the store and tell the clerk what kind of cash register to use, or insist that a gas station use an analog meter on their gas pumps. Grow up. If you're that much of a rugged individualist, you should be off-grid.

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    I'm calling BS on this 'smash the meter' or 'shoot the utility worker' nonsense. You don't go to the store and tell the clerk what kind of cash register to use, or insist that a gas station use an analog meter on their gas pumps. Grow up. If you're that much of a rugged individualist, you should be off-grid.
    Those don't affect you. From what I've read, these meters are potentially unsafe.
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Our meter is on the outside of the house and accessible without having to pass through a fence or anything. So one day the new meter was there. I haven't noticed anything, but who knows what it's doing to me.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Current squat: 180 x 2. Current Deadlift: 230 x 2

Uncephalized is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Nicator View Post
    +1.

"Somebody is delivering electrical power that is useful for nearly any conceivable task, in quantities orders of magnitude larger than I could produce with my own labor, for pennies a day! And they want to charge me accurately for it!?! Woe is meeeeee!"

RitaRose, I am sorry you are going to lose your job. That sucks. But when has any new technology ever not lost somebody a job?

Quote Originally Posted by sbhikes View Post
    Our meter is on the outside of the house and accessible without having to pass through a fence or anything. So one day the new meter was there. I haven't noticed anything, but who knows what it's doing to me.
    Absolutely nothing, probably.
    Today I will: Eat food, not poison. Plan for success, not settle for failure. Live my real life, not a virtual one. Move and grow, not sit and die.

My Primal Journal

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    RitaRose, I am sorry you are going to lose your job. That sucks. But when has any new technology ever not lost somebody a job?
    Thanks. On the bright side, it's the push I need to start working with animals like I've always wanted, though at much lower pay. Honestly, I think it will be worth it.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Uncephalized View Post
    But when has any new technology ever not lost somebody a job?
    Flint knapping?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast