Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Smart meters page 2

RitaRose is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    Quote Originally Posted by rosie1973 View Post
    I was listening to an interview of a doctor famous for his work in EMF on the human body and he said that if you go outside and bash the thing in, the electric company will come back and install another one once its discovered its broken. You can claim vandalism. After 3 times of bashing the thing in, they will install the old type again. Apparently this has been the only solution to the problem in that city. (not sure where...Seattle?)
    I, personally, would not try this. The power company is not stupid. It wouldn't surprise me if they didn't start charging you for the new meter plus installation labor, and that's not going to be cheap. Since the meters are technically company property (you may own the house but you don't own the meter), you could be liable for vandalism and destruction of property, not to mention fraud and tampering.

Where I live, that can easily be a felony.

Most areas have some kind of an "opt-out" program. Some are better than others, and some are pretty much useless. I would investigate that avenue first, as opposed to others that could get you a criminal record.
    My sorely neglected blog - http://ThatWriterBroad.com

Nicator is offline Senior Member
    Around here the the smart meter radio transponders are inactive 99% of the time...take a look at the the meter to see who makes it and get some facts. Or are you going to go around smashing wifi hotspots and routers too?

peril is offline Senior Member
    I work for a mobile phone company that provides services to an electricity company for smart meters. From the traffic profile, my guess is that the meters are each making one call to report their data per day. It is in the small hours. The impact has to be negligible. YMMV but think about it - the electricity companies aren't going to pay for any more phone calls than they need to, even at a negotiated discount rate, and the phone companies aren't going to support a large volume of traffic from the meters at their peak time without charging appropriately

We all have much bigger issues
    Four years Primal with influences from Jaminet & Shanahan and a focus on being anti-inflammatory. Using Primal to treat CVD and prevent stents from blocking free of drugs.

Eat creatures nose-to-tail (animal, fowl, fish, crustacea, molluscs), a large variety of vegetables (raw, cooked and fermented, including safe starches), dairy (cheese & yoghurt), occasional fruit, cocoa, turmeric & red wine

Alex Good is offline Senior Member
    When they come to install it just keep the door closed and say "fuck off".
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Blackcatbone is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by keithpowers View Post
    Two words: Faraday cage.
    Can they be made of tin foil?

Quote Originally Posted by peril View Post
    I work for a mobile phone company that provides services to an electricity company for smart meters. From the traffic profile, my guess is that the meters are each making one call to report their data per day. It is in the small hours. The impact has to be negligible. YMMV but think about it - the electricity companies aren't going to pay for any more phone calls than they need to, even at a negotiated discount rate, and the phone companies aren't going to support a large volume of traffic from the meters at their peak time without charging appropriately

We all have much bigger issues
    The ones here in Nevada trasmit individually in a burst about every 15 minutes to a kind of "collector", then along phone lines to the company.

Yeah, it would cost a crapload of money to be constantly transmitting. To be honest, I think one of the scariest things in the average home is the cordless phone, though I'm still hating on the smart meters for my own reasons.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    When they come to install it just keep the door closed and say "fuck off".
    Sadly, out here we have contracted out for the majority of the residential work. I've heard stories from homeowners of telling the installers "no", then finding one the next day when they come home from work. Not cool. It's better to call and get put on a list if they'll let you do that. Then you can call and get it removed. Though telling them to fuck off could be gratifying too.

You should see the extremes people go to, though. I've seen people literally build iron cages around their meters, and I've seen it more than once. They REALLY don't want them.

"Trespassers will be eviscerated"?
    In all of the universe there is only one person with your exact charateristics. Just like there is only one person with everybody else's characteristics. Effectively, your uniqueness makes you pretty average.

Quote Originally Posted by Alex Good View Post
    "Trespassers will be eviscerated"?
    I saw one handwritten sign (which somehow made it creepier) that said "You are on camera and will be shot" in both English and Spanish. Makes you think twice.

Meh, I've been stabbed in the heart so I'm not too scared.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast