Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: UK organic products very expensive! page

cwodavids is offline Junior Member

Question UK organic products very expensive!

Primal Fuel
    Hi all,

I have started to eat primal and have so far realised that its a great way to live, but a very expensive lifestyle. I SO SO want to eat organic but the cost is huge. Are there any other ways to eat organic cheaply other than using big supermarkets (they do tend to be cheaper) for organic produce. Also raw milk, as great as it is, I just cannot bring myself to pay 20 for 5 pints every 5 days! I will definitely lose weight as I wont be able to afford to eat, lol.

Are there any places in the UK that don't rip you off for Primal food?

Kind regards

Dave

aikidochris is offline Member
    Hi Dave,

I'm UK based also and yes organic is invariably well expensive. However don't sweat it, the most important thing is that you ditch the grains and start eating meat, good fats, veggies and fruit. If you can afford organic and grass fed then that's champion, if you cant then don't sweat it until you get a payrise or win the lottery!

Thinking outside the box you could also make friends with your local butcher or farm shop and do some wheeler dealing.

Best of luck!

SleepyRoots is offline Member
    Grow you own?

Other than that it's really a question of how much you can afford, and how much you want to spend on food. Real food isn't all that cheap, organic or not. And certified organic has it's market, and isn't trivial to get, so it costs accordingly. If you live in the right place, you could see if there are any farmers or even people with too much produce from their own gardens that grow things to your standards. Farmers markets can also be good, but again the demand is there, prices can be fairly high, and sometimes there's more gifts than food.

Of course you don't *have* to buy organic. It's better, but not necessary if you can't afford it. Some things have higher markups than others, and some things benefit from organic more than others. Mark makes some comments about that in his book, but there's information online as well.

stevew is offline Member
    The fact you can get hold of raw milk means your primal needs are probably easier to meet than mine down in Kent. I haven't looked for a while but there's nowhere near me that does raw dairy. No sweat, some things like some veg, milk, cream cheese and mince meat I get organic from the supermarket, everything else is normal or free range at the very least. With meat that's non organic I tend to go for leaner cuts. Organic mince meat is very cheap and there's plenty of things you can do with that. I'd really like to eat more decent fresh fish but that's expensive unless I go fish for my own (nothing better than fresh out the sea mackerel on the BBQ!).

stevew is offline Member
    Also if you're looking to grow your own but don't have the space, some people let you grow stuff on their spare plots of land. Have a look here:
    Landshare - connecting growers to people with land to share.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Hi Dave. I buy organic meat here in Sussex - go for the cheaper cuts (liver, kidney, shin, belly pork, skirt, mince, shoulder of lamb, breast of lamb) etc and get to know your butcher. Mine GIVES me fat to render down for lard - from organic cattle and pork. Also try chicken thighs / drumsticks and ask for carcasses for soup. Again, mine gives me those.

I don't worry too much about organic veg - I buy weekly from a local market and the veg / fruit is squeaky fresh. Also local farmers markets - lovely fresh produce.

An EXCELLENT source of cheap, usually organic, home grown veg and fruit is your local Women's Institute market - lots of small towns have one of these weekly. You need to get there early - they sell out!! The one I go to in Petworth is amazing.

And if you are anywhere near the sea, fishermen sell fresh fish from the boat at ridiculously cheap prices - just what they have caught, obviously. I go to Worthing about once a month with a cool bag and those frozen blue things from the freezer, and buy skate wings / dover sole / sea bream etc very cheaply and freeze it.

You can eat really well very reasonably priced - if you avoid supermarkets, big town centres etc. Having said that, markets in big towns are amazing, cheap, loads of stuff, huge variety of food. Chester, Coventry, Oxford, Soho (as in London), Newcastle on Tyne - all the big town markets I have been to haves amazed me.

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    The fact you can get hold of raw milk means your primal needs are probably easier to meet than mine down in Kent. I haven't looked for a while but there's nowhere near me that does raw dairy. No sweat, some things like some veg, milk, cream cheese and mince meat I get organic from the supermarket, everything else is normal or free range at the very least. With meat that's non organic I tend to go for leaner cuts. Organic mince meat is very cheap and there's plenty of things you can do with that. I'd really like to eat more decent fresh fish but that's expensive unless I go fish for my own (nothing better than fresh out the sea mackerel on the BBQ!).
    I don't know where in Kent you are, but there is this

KENT

Winterdale Farm in Sevenoaks, Kent are now selling raw/unpasteurised milk. They were already making unpasteurised cheese, for which they have won awards.

The cows are grass fed from April to Oct and then are in the barns during winter on grass and maize silage. They are selling raw milk on Saturdays from 11am until 1pm. They would prefer people to bring their own containers to reduce package waste etc but can supply them if necessary. The cost is 1.00 per litre

For more information about the farm:
    Winterdale Cheesemakers - Home page

SUSSEX

Hollypark Organics sell organic raw goat milk via next day delivery. They also do raw cheese and, raw yogurt. In the production of their yogurt, they do not raise the milk temperature above blood temperature. The same with their cheese. This is the only source of raw yogurt I know of so, a very exciting find! They sell from the farm gate.

Hollypark Organics, North Lane, Hastings, East Sussex, TN35 4LX
    01424 812229

Unpasteurised / Raw Milk (Green Top - Farm Fresh) UK & Ireland | Natural Food Finder

Producers and Products

Growing Communities | Producers at Stoke Newington Farmers' Market

And here is a link to a farm that will post it to you

HOME

Hope this helps!

Freelancer is offline Junior Member
    I get organic veg delivered weekly from Riverford , which isn't much cheaper than the supermarket. But because I then spend less on impulse buys I've actually ended up saving money - and it's fresher and nicer. I've never tried the meat, though. If you google organic vegetable delivery you can find a lot of alternatives.

AMonkey is offline Senior Member
    Organic is basically a rip off in the UK. There is nothing more nutritious, or less dangerous, or better tasting about supermarket organic vegetables than non organic, yet you'll get charged twice the price. Maybe if you can source some quality local, organic produce there might be a benefit. If food quality if your priority, in meat, you should be aiming for 100% grass fed or outdoor reared. You will have to buy that online, its cheaper in bulk. Quality of eggs doesn't differ much, again aim for free range first and foremost. Dairy is in the same place as meat.

Obvious go for cheaper cuts as well.
    Last edited by AMonkey; 03-01-2012 at 10:48 AM.

stevew is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by breadsauce View Post
    I don't know where in Kent you are, but there is this

KENT

Winterdale Farm in Sevenoaks, Kent are now selling raw/unpasteurised milk. They were already making unpasteurised cheese, for which they have won awards.

The cows are grass fed from April to Oct and then are in the barns during winter on grass and maize silage. They are selling raw milk on Saturdays from 11am until 1pm. They would prefer people to bring their own containers to reduce package waste etc but can supply them if necessary. The cost is 1.00 per litre

For more information about the farm:
    Winterdale Cheesemakers - Home page

SUSSEX

Hollypark Organics sell organic raw goat milk via next day delivery. They also do raw cheese and, raw yogurt. In the production of their yogurt, they do not raise the milk temperature above blood temperature. The same with their cheese. This is the only source of raw yogurt I know of so, a very exciting find! They sell from the farm gate.

Hollypark Organics, North Lane, Hastings, East Sussex, TN35 4LX
    01424 812229

Unpasteurised / Raw Milk (Green Top - Farm Fresh) UK & Ireland | Natural Food Finder

Producers and Products

Growing Communities | Producers at Stoke Newington Farmers' Market

And here is a link to a farm that will post it to you

HOME

Hope this helps!
    Thanks breadsauce! The one in Sussex sounds good and not to far away from where my parents are. Not somewhere I can make a regular visit to but I might pop in and see them on my next family visit.

There was a decent farm shop that opened near me but they were open only at odd times and not every day. As a result they didn't get a lot of business and closed down. I think part of the problem is were accustomed to being able to food shop whenever we like. I'm guilty of that too and have found myself on a few occasions wondering around Tesco's late at night. The food box schemes might be something I'll look into again.

For venison I've heard good things about this place: Welcome - Highland Game - Purveyors of Fine Foods - Venison Direct to Your Door - Scotland, UK I know someone who's ordered a few boxes from them in the past and said the meat is really tasty and seems good value.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast