Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: UK organic products very expensive! page 2

breadsauce is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by stevew View Post
    Thanks breadsauce! The one in Sussex sounds good and not to far away from where my parents are. Not somewhere I can make a regular visit to but I might pop in and see them on my next family visit.

There was a decent farm shop that opened near me but they were open only at odd times and not every day. As a result they didn't get a lot of business and closed down. I think part of the problem is were accustomed to being able to food shop whenever we like. I'm guilty of that too and have found myself on a few occasions wondering around Tesco's late at night. The food box schemes might be something I'll look into again.

For venison I've heard good things about this place: Welcome - Highland Game - Purveyors of Fine Foods - Venison Direct to Your Door - Scotland, UK I know someone who's ordered a few boxes from them in the past and said the meat is really tasty and seems good value.
    Stevew, raw milk freezes well - I buy five or six litres, take some out of each (so they don't expand and burst in the freezer) then freeze them.

Thanks for the venison link - looks great! I shall get an order in for burgers, mince and a roe deer leg!

Baloo is offline Senior Member
    You could see if there are any farm shops near you. Near me there is a farm that supplies eggs for the Happy Egg company, buying direct from them you get the same quality of eggs but cheaper than in the supermarkets and naturally fresher too.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Organic in Supermarkets like Tesco is a complete rip off. Try farmers markets or local box delivery systems. Alternatively as Sleepyroots says, grow your own. We are getting into the growing season and I GUARANTEE that you have not tasted tomatoes or peas as good as when you pull them off the plant. You can buy grown on seedlings so you don't even have to bother with greenhouses etc. just a warm sunny place to grow, and for your toms that might just be your kitchen window ledge!
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

Organic in the supermarket does seem to be horribly expensive so we only buy it for things where we can taste the difference and leafy greens as I think they soak up the pesticides a lot.

For meat, we tried getting local farm organic meat but it was very expensive so we now buy most of our meat non-organic but we pop by the farm shop every so often to pick things up. They do half a lamb for 65 which doesn't seem too bad so we get those and freeze them.

Eggs we always buy free range and organic where possible. In terms of milk, we don't drink much so we don't worry about it.

We generally focus on getting primal foods at the best quality that we can source and afford, but we don't stress if that doesnt mean fully organic or grass-fed. I tend to be of the view that most cattle in the UK is largely grass fed, or at least partially grass fed unlike the states. That's maybe a bit naive but I try not to worry about it anyway.

Sugar is my nicotine...

newlife77 is offline Member
    Nice to read a thread that "talks british" at me, lol!! I've only just found the Primal UK Group on here so if you haven't found it yet then you should join so that we can talk a bit more local at times!! Think there's a meet trying to be organised too!!

Organic is sooooo expensive!! I saw an article on Countryfile that said Organic sales have plummeted in recent years and it's forcing a lot of farmers to go back to non-organic methods again ... they think a lot of it was a result of people now buying more "moral friendly" - eg free range chickens, sensibly caught fish, fairtrade etc.

I buy organic if it's on special or not too far away from the price of non-O for a particular item but on the whole I buy "normal" meat and veg. Buy organic milk as don't use enough for the extra bit to matter - especially when I read how non-O cows are treated Eggs I'll always try to buy organic or Sainsbury's do "woodland eggs" where the chickens roam free and they're cheaper!! Thinking these are probably better than organic cos surely they're just fed organic corn??!! I think the difference in a good quality egg is amazing - for a start the shell is soooo much harder, the yolk more yellow and they're more 'solid' when plopped in the frying pan!

I buy a lot of my "out there" products from Goodness Direct (eg coconut oil, flour, quality coconut milk, xylitol etc).

There is certainly a whole host of things to learn and research on this, that's for sure!!! But we'll all get there together!!

H x
    An English girl who's been on lots of different diets, weight gone up and down but always been a naturalist at heart and have always wondered why "Conventional Wisdom" diets don't allow you to eat red meat and nuts - that are purely natural things?! So feel I've found my niche in the PB/Paleo Lifestyle and really want to make this my way of life for good!!!

When we started primal 9 weeks ago we didn't worry about organic. However we have found that
    As our appetites have reduced, and also because we are no longer buying rubbish food like soft drinks, potatoes
    Pasta, sauces etc, we have been able to afford to go organic, or at least locally reared, grass fed. We don't eat
    Breakfast any more, packed lunches tend to be ham or chicken with eggs and salad, and dinner is normally
    Some kind of meat with veg. Sometimes we find we dont want dinner either, it's difficult to manage even 2 meals!
    We are also saving money by never eating takeaways, although we haven't really done that for a couple of years, and we rarely eat out now because I am so concerned that the food won't be primal and won't be grass fed! And we used to eat out 2 or 3 times a week!! We are also saving the money that we would have spent on alcohol, probably another 40 per week. So going primal has been all good for us!!

Pezerinno is offline Senior Member
    I do the Riverford box scheme and use it for all my food so if it runs out before the next delivery I go hungry - keeps me on my toes and makes me really appreciate food - delivery day is like christmas! It is expensive of course but I guess it is priorities (I'm only on minimum wage but don't have children). For me organic isn't just the direct benefit but also the greater benefit from a sustainability point of view (peak oil, water quality etc).

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Never knew there were so many Brits here now!

Skirlie is offline Junior Member
    ::newbie jumping in::

I buy my organic meat from Sheepdrove Organic Farm-Sheepdrove Organic farm. I ordered their monthly meat hamper. It's delivered straight to the door packed in wool cool. We've eaten most of it (time to re-order) and the quality is very good.

I get my organic veg from Abel & Cole. This service is brilliant. I can add one off veg, change my box size, skip delivery when we're on holiday. The veg quality is excellent, but I'm not keen on their fruit - it doesn't seem to be as fresh as the veg.

chronyx is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Another Surreyite!

I use Farmer's Choice for my meat, great value and always tasty. I may try out Sheepdrove too, if they can get hold of any variety/organ meats that are hard to acquire.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12