Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Non-Olive Oil Based Dressings page

fidelity is offline Junior Member

Shop Now

Anyone have good sauces/dressings for salads or meats that are non olive oil based. I've tested extremely sensitive to olive oil.

Thanks!

grandma is offline Member

I made some with Coconut Oil recently --- you just have to serve it warm. Once you head down the warm dressing path, you start thinking about bacon dressing and stuff like. Ghee is another idea that could work. I don't think it is so hard. The only issue will be that in the fridge it will be solid --- you have to remember to bring it out and warm it before serving.

I don't have a standard recipe I just throw some melted oil, vinegar or lemon juice, spices, S&P.

Recently someone gave me a spice mix that was meant for olive oil dipping sauce for bread, I have been using that to make salad dressing since I received the gift. It is basically garlic and italian seasoning, salt and pepper.

With coconut oil I like to use asian flavors: ginger, fish sauce (or wheat-free soy), rice vinegar, and melted coconut oil.

It's grandma, but you can call me sir.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member

Bacon grease makes the most fabulous dressings. I use it to make mayo, (for any creamy dressings like homeade ranch, etc) and cesear salad.

I also love to throw some fresh pineapple, coconut milk, coconut oil, and a squeeze of lemon into the magic bullet (or food processor or whatever) for an awesome tropical salad dressing. I add some shredded coconut, chopped fruit and nuts and have a yummy yummy salad.

The more I see the less I know for sure.
    -John Lennon

iniQuity is offline Senior Member

holy crap, there's so many awesome ideas I would have never thought of in these forums. I need to try that pineapple dressing soon!

I used to seriously post here, now I prefer to troll.

NorthernMonkeyGirl is offline Senior Member

Cream / dairy based things such as sour cream, creme fraiche?

Balsamic vinegar?

Soy (tamari) sauce perhaps?

Trau is offline Junior Member

avocado oil would probably sub well in a vinaigrette, though I admit I've never tried it

Athena is offline Senior Member

Avocado oil has a great nutty flavor! Also i poured coconut milk w/ a squirt of lime on my salad and it was heavenly!

verdilak is offline Member

What do you add to the bacon fat to make the dressings?

Ism's in my opinion are not good. A person should not believe in an -ism, he should believe in himself. I quote John Lennon, "I don't believe in Beatles, I just believe in me."--Ferris Bueller, 1986
    Check me out @ my blog: Retrospective Caveman
    I set up a Facebook Group for all those who are eating and living Paleo/Primal

Althaur is offline Senior Member

I use walnut oil with some balsamic vinegar.

kuno1chi is offline Senior Member

PrimalCon New York

A hot bacon viniagrette is really good on spinach salads. I make mine by cooked some chopped-up bacon until it's crisp, then removing it from the pan. Add some red wine vinegar to the hot fat in the pan to deglaze, add garlic powder, pepper, and a little salt if you want.

Top your salad with the bacon, then drizzle the hot dressing over the top :-D

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast