Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Hungrier in the evening after eating breakfast..? page

JazzWorthy is offline Member

Hungrier in the evening after eating breakfast..?

Primal Fuel
    This is a very strange phenomenon for me. Not necessarily bad, but strange. When I eat a primal breakfast (usually something like eggs with salmon cooked in grass fed butter with full fat greek yogurt), I am happy and satiated for most of the day, but when evening comes around I get very hungry again. No problem.

However, when I skip breakfast, for some odd reason, I don't get hungry at all during the evening, or I'm only moderately hungry. Why would eating breakfast make me hungrier in the day than skipping it? I mean it's no issue for me, but I'm just curious as to why this happens and if anyone else experiences this as well
    Last edited by JazzWorthy; 03-01-2012 at 08:59 AM.
    There is a pleasure in the pathless woods,
    There is a rapture on the lonely shore,
    There is society, where none intrudes,
    By the deep sea, and music in its roar:
    I love not man the less, but Nature more...
    ~Lord Byron

@lex is offline Senior Member
    I never skip breakfast, so I wouldn't know. It does seem odd though, and I'm interested in seeing this topic develop.

Roach is offline Senior Member
    Same thing happens with me. I typically IF during the week and only eat at night. On the weekends I typically grab breakfast with family/friends and find myself very hungry in the early afternoon. Sorry I don't know why but know you're not the only one.

primalkyle is offline Senior Member
    I find that if I eat a meal 2-3 hours before going to bed, I wake up extremely hungry...but if I don't feel like eating anything for dinner, I wake up not wanting to eat. I've come to the conclusion that I should just eat a large breakfast and a large dinner.

onewomanband is offline Member
    I have found that I need to eat a large breakfast or none at all. Otherwise, I'll be ravenous by 10 a.m.

sbhikes is online now Senior Member
    Lots of people report reduced appetite when IFing so perhaps that's a partial explanation.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    Starting squat: 45lbs. Heaviest squat: 180 x 2. Heaviest Deadlift: 230 x 2

wiltondeportes Guest
    I don't know the scientific explanation, but it's true for me to. I think of my stomach/body as a fire. The fire needs wood.

-When you add a lot of wood, the fire gets big and burns the wood quickly. When that wood run out, the big fire attempts to sustain itself by making you hungry.
    -If you don't eat a lot, you have a small fire. This small fire only asks for a little wood every once in a while.

badbunny is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post
    I don't know the scientific explanation, but it's true for me to. I think of my stomach/body as a fire. The fire needs wood.

-When you add a lot of wood, the fire gets big and burns the wood quickly. When that wood run out, the big fire attempts to sustain itself by making you hungry.
    -If you don't eat a lot, you have a small fire. This small fire only asks for a little wood every once in a while.
    I think this is basically the answer, I too find that if I eat breakfast I am ravenous in the evening, I think it has something to do with kick starting your metabolism each day. I seem to remember reading that breakfast is important to start the metabolic process for the day to ensure you start burning your fuel rather than storing it..... Simple explanation inam sure someone clevererer than me could give the technical explanation
    Perseverance is not a long race; it is many short races one after the other.
    Walter Elliot

I am a horse for a single harness, not cut out for tandem or teamwork; for well I know that in order to attain any definite goal, it is imperative that one person do the thinking and the commanding. Albert Einstein

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    If I eat breakfast, I tend to be much hungrier during the day/evening. When I don't eat breakfast (my norm), I'm perfectly sated with one or two meals (lunch/dinner). No clue why, that's just how I've always been. My guess is it's a blood sugar/hunger feedback loop thing. So glad I discovered paleo/primal and that IF'ing/skipping meals is OK.
    Last edited by kennelmom; 03-01-2012 at 05:42 AM.
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

kennelmom is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by wiltondeportes View Post

No clue if this is actually physiologically accurate, but it makes sense to me LOL
    Heather and the hounds - Make a Fast Friend, Adopt a Greyhound!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast